challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 7:05 AM

lol Kim, no, it might take me a hundred times to paint a painting everyone agrees on but in my world I wouldn't have "a" lily painting, I'd have simply painted  a beautiful lily a hundred times ;)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:20 AM

Kim I liked 1 ,@2and now 3 Anyway hers mine  "leapin lily pads"

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:27 AM

Jim her face is just beautiful! Your portrait work is so good!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 10:34 AM

Jim, I really like the transparency of her wings and the colors on the lily pads and the beautiful flower.  You made excellent use of the pond lily photo.  Very nice painting. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 3:13 PM

Really nice Jim love the scene and painting, I done this awhile ago playing with color and trying to loosen up in less than an hour using watercolor

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:06 PM

Kim third time is a charm.Big Smile

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:08 PM

Nice face Jim.  It looks like she is looking over her shoulder thinking Theres that pesky frog again.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:10 PM

Looks like you done this back in the fall.  Nice colors.  I really like the rose color in th sky.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 6:14 PM

This is really pretty Fred. I like how you've layered the greens, browns and darker oranges on the right.  I also like that hard edge you've left on the tree tops in the back.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 6:49 PM

Jim, I love your colorful version! As Sam noted, the transparency of wings is super! That frog gets around.

Speaking of color...

Fred, this woke me up! Big Smile I like the bits of paper showing through and just all the colors you used with loose brush strokes. Nice one.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 7:13 PM

Well, Fred, you succeeded in loosening up.  As usual, your sky is great.  I see beautiful fall leaves.  Or is it a fire?  Or is it a guy at the backyard grill burning the burgers.  Or teens doing wheelies in the sand on the beach?  Whatever it is, it's pretty with nice colors.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 16 Jan 2013 7:49 PM

Jim, "Leaping' Lily Pads" is charming and wonderful. Love that the fairy, lily, and frog are so prominent and the placement of each in your painting, love the sense of movement in the fairy and her expressive face, the frog almost lying in wait (captivated and obsessed), and the colors of the leaves and flower.

Fred, a great use of loose style in a landscape. It has such a dreamy quality and the sky is subtle and lovely, a beautiful variation in depths of colors on my screen.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 8:46 PM

Jim:  I like the fairy in this one.   she doesn't look as annoyed with the frog prince as the last one.  you can tell she is balancing on the lovely lilly pads.   by the way I like when you changed the darker wings to the lighter ones.   The lighter wings would help her get away from him quicker.  the flowers were lovely....   great texture.  I hate mirrors!

Fred:   Your leprechauns are looking very festive.  Let's hope they stay out of mischief....    I think this is the first time I personally have seen a graphite piece from you.  I'm so used to seeing all that color.   like the rainbow to follow to the pot of gold....This one is like a dream when you don't see in color you have to fill in the details with your mind...  I truly like it.   by the way.    I don't even have any gouache, I don't know anythng about it except is opaque...  I love the transparency of your color paintings,  they never look flat.  your last colorful piece reminds me of looking at color through ripply glass....

Kim:  nice Lilly's or Lotus's, both are extremely similar. although your photo looks more like a lotus. I Iike all of your renditions.   I have two ponds in my back yard and hundreds of lilly/lotus pictures if anyone wants them,  pinks, reds and cream/yellow.   I have so many we have to pull them out so the fish have room to move....  but they are beautiful and you captured a very nice impressionistic version of them.   good job.

Sam,  my goodness what a cute painterly pic of veggies.   I especially like the way they made the brushes.   This would be a fun project for someone to paint.   hmmmm     I bet Alex could turn this into something very special.

Alex:  I love the paper and hope to find something very special to put on it.   I don't want to practice on it.  thanks tons.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,853
Points 47,590
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:16 PM
Hi Guys I am still here Sammy. Just been kinda grey wet and gloomy for a lot of days and I think I suffer from a bit of SADD. I have just hibernated and stuck my nose in books. I just didn't feel like chatting Sorry to be a grouch. I was sunny today so I feel better. You guys sure are busy beees. SUSAN thanks for the good words we sure are lucky to have such a great bunch of people here. JIM I love all the frog and fairy paintings always fun to see them. FRED I really like the pencil sketch it has a lot of life and action. SAM was the artist pallette from the Chelsey Flower Show? Always a creative display there. Just shows what you can do with a little imagination! KIM love eveolution of the Lilly pad. I think you did improve it each time. Nice job.Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 17 Jan 2013 6:26 AM

Jen, yes the palette arrangement was from the Chelsey Flower Show.  Wet Canvas Reference Photos has a whole category devoted to that show.  Must be some show.

I think I also suffer from SADD.  Try to get out in the sunshine everyday.  It is good to hear from you.

Page 11 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS