challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,268 Replies | 26 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 5:24 AM

Kim this is beautiful ,you know I'm  forced to borrow this photo frogs go with lilly pads even tree frogs in my world

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 7:45 AM

GERI - Thanks so much for your comment. I truly look fwd. to any sug./ help I can get.

ALEX & JIM - I'm excited to see your interps. of the ref. photo and hope it's soon. A frog would be a good addtion. I have another photo you may like too as a companion piece...will look for it.

ALEX - I don't have an i-anything (still have a cell phone that just calls vs. does photos, etc.), so apps are another world, but I know about them and think they're awesome. The one that you mentioned sounds totally cool! Someone gets a real postcard vs. e-card? However it works, the inventor had a good idea there!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 9:24 AM

Hey Alex, thanks for the compliment but I'm still in the learning stage of painting with gouache, so far I've been using diluted color mixs to do the trees and grasses. I still prefer using watercolors,next time I'll probably mix em up and see what happens

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 11:22 AM

An abridged edition I did not like the other wings

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 13 Jan 2013 1:42 PM

Jim, I like the new wings much better. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 2:19 PM

Jim, The lighter color works much better, but I see you also re-shaped the wings. Now they "fit" her better & look like they're going back - a more natural position for fairy wings. I'm impressed that you saw something to adjust, were brave enough to tackle it, and pulled it off so well.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 13 Jan 2013 3:21 PM

Jim, now that I see these, I agree. These wings suit her much better - very soft and feathery. 

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 13 Jan 2013 3:26 PM

Kim, I'm going to weigh in here with Geri. I just re-looked at your warterlily/lotus painting and think a touch more darkness in the water would make your gorgeous leaves and flowers pop. Having said that, still a lovely piece.

Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 5:18 PM

GERI & ALEX - I adj. my ptg., but will photo it tomorrow in decent lighting. Not sure if I messed it up so you can be the judge on that. Kinda like an old house, fixing it leads from one thing to another.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 3:28 PM

back to basics using a 6B pencil,a fun drawing 9x8 140# HP paper

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 4:31 PM

Fred - This does look fun! I noticed that your back bldgs. have shading on the RH side, but the front bldg does not. Perhaps some shading on it would help differentiate the front from side. Your perspective, the tricky part, looks quite good! I've enjoyed seeing your imaginative scenes!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 5:33 PM

Have tried to get a bit more contrast per suggestions...hope it helped, but sometimes I tend to mess it up if I go back over things. I'll re-post the orig. one here first for convenience of comparing.

The camera image is slightly diff., but sim. enough to say this is close.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 14 Jan 2013 5:50 PM

Kim, art is very subjective, but I like the subtle difference. In the earlier version, the values of the colors were all very similar; in the later version the leaves and flowers seem to me to spring forward more. Having said that, let me remind you that I'm a novice with no art education, so my opinions aren't set in stone! 

Fred, those leprechauns must be getting an early start on celebrating St. Patrick's Dsy - with a lot of gusto! If we want to go to a good party, we know where to find it! Plus, nice to see a pencil drawing!

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 6:36 PM

I hate to be the bad guy but I like the top painting better. The bottom painting seems to not have that "dance" that the top one has.  That's me though and what matters is how you feel about it Kim. :)

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 7:01 PM

Catherine, I see what you mean, but I pulled my images until tomorrow because it seems to me that much of the diff. is due to lighting when I took the pic.. I thought I had enough light when I photo. it, but now when I see it again on screen, I think I need another go at the camera. Then will see...so pls be patient until tomorrow.

Alex and Catherine - thanks for taking the time to comment. I liked it before adding and had a feeling that I should leave it since I was partial to a softer look, but I know how contrast well placed can often make a pos. diff.. I was grateful for the sug., and figured it's just a ptg. so why not try. Even tho I need to photo it once more for a better comparison, I do like the first one yet, so I may try once more ...3 xs a charm? Oh well, it was worth trying.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Page 9 of 218 (3269 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS