challenge CHATTER - 2013

This post has 3,266 Replies | 25 Followers rated by 10 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 5 Jan 2013 5:25 PM

Thanks guys!   It's really good and it's super simple.  You just make a simple white sauce first - the white sayce is a rue with butter and flour - maybe about 2 - 3 tablespoons of butter and enough flour flour tso that the butter doesn't float around on top - - it's sort of a gooey consistancy - - and don't brown the flour - - just add milk a little at a time with a whisk while it is still bubbling until it is kind of a mildly thick consistancy, then keep whisking it and let it bubble down to a little bit thicker.  (If the sauce is not over heat long enough, the sauce tastes kind of flour-y - - I found that out when I was in a hurry one time.)  Once you have the white sauce, then add enough (just plain old cheap kind) yellow mustard - enough to make the sauce turn sort of yellow but not overwhelming to the taste.  Also add a couple of heafty shakes from the bottle of Worchesertshire sauce - the sauce should still be yellow but the Worchestershire will turn it a little greyer.  You will need to add to sauce about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chopped ham and 1 can of tiny Lesuer peas.  I use premade pie crusts and there is always some left over when I put the top on - that's the only reason I put flower on them.  Bake at 350 for about an hour - or until the pie crust is the color you want it.  My mother always used up all the left over ham and the last little bits that were still on the bone with this pie - - my brother and I just wanted her to make the pie and forget about slice ham!

As you can tell, I am an artist not a recipe writer or a chef.  It's not to specific because I really don't measure anything - -Mother didn't either so I have never had a clue - - except about the white sauce (when I first started making them) - - the recipe for the white sauce is in the red & white checkered cookbook that we probably all got as a wedding shower gift - it's either Betty Crocker or Good Housekeeping - - I can't remember which.

If you try it, let us know how it came out.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 6 Jan 2013 12:42 PM

Hello all,

Here is a 3-1/2" x 2-1/2" painting of a female cardinal in a juniper tree. “Juniper Bliss” is rendered in Cretacolor watercolor pencils with a few tiny touches of Holbein gouache on Acquarello 140# hot-pressed paper. Geri, I think it was you who mentioned that you love the coloring of female cardinals (even though they get a bum rap for being drab) and I agree with you. Even the brown is a beautiful bronze color, not to mention their beautiful crown and reddish wing and tail feathers. Now off to make notes on the many new and beautiful January challenge photos that appeared overnight!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Jan 2013 1:02 PM

holland2:
1 can of tiny Lesuer peas

Sorry for my ignorance but what are Lesuer peas.  I would like to try this recipe although it wont be as pretty looking as yours.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Jan 2013 1:04 PM

Thanks Alex she is pretty and I love the Juniper berries too.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 6 Jan 2013 1:14 PM

Geri - Lesuer is just the brand name (there is a silver lable on the can) - - any brand is OK as long as it's the very tiny young early peas - that's a lot of adjectives to describe the peas but different brand names list them differently on the lable - just make sure it's the little tiny peas and not the big fat ones.  (The little ones are sweeter anyway.)  Also, you will not need ANY salt because the ham is salty enough - you may want to add a little pepper, though.  If you have dough left over after you put the top on - - make any design you want to.  (My grandmother used to make what she called "pecan stickies" but she never told any of us grandchildren how to make them - - we all loved them and all the other cousins were just sure I would know since Grandmother lived across the street from us.  We just loved eating them and never bothered to ask her.  I think it was something she just dreamed up to use up the dough and she always had pecan because she had 3 trees in her yard.)

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 6 Jan 2013 1:40 PM

Alex, your female cardinal is delightful.  There's life in that eye and the bill has great colors.  Your blue and purple berries are the complements of your orange and yellow bird.  Very cute.  Now you have a beautiful pair of miniature birds.

Holly, once upon a time, long, long ago, in the dark ages when I used to bake, I always made some extra pie dough.  I would roll out all the excess dough, spread butter on the entire surface, sprinkle liberally with sugar, cinnamon and finely chopped pecans.  This would get rolled up into a long "snake" and then cut into 1" to 1.5" pieces.  I baked them in the oven until they were good and brown.  It took a while for the dough inside to get done.  My kids always came looking for them.  Maybe they are similar to your grandmother's pecan stickies.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Jan 2013 4:53 PM

Holly I will give it a try.  My wife loves early June peas.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Sounds easy enough kind of like chicken pot pie without the carrots.

My mom never had any left over dough.  Me and my sister fought over it and ate it raw.  Mom always said it would give us worms.  I guess that  could be whats wrong with me now.Wink

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 6 Jan 2013 7:34 PM

Geri and Sam, thank you for your kind words about my cardinal and juniper berries. Sam, you'll certainly be seeing your advice in the eyes of every living creature I portray from now on - thanks again.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 22,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Jan 2013 8:35 PM

My old watercolor prof would not say white or light in there eyes he would say put some life in there eyes.

If you are using WC and forget to leave life in the eyes you can scratch it with a sharp pointed object like an exacto knife if you want to be a purist and only use WC.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 6 Jan 2013 9:01 PM

Geri, thank you for the tip!

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,716
Points 44,735
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 1:28 AM

Alex. you are really good at these tiny bird paintings. I really like the colours of this one and you have captured that alert look bird have with the eye highlight.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 7 Jan 2013 1:39 AM

Jen, thank you!

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 11:35 PM

Oh Alex I just love the little female Cardinal,  she is beautiful.   What a nice pair they would make framed on a wall  kuddos to you....   

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 11:41 PM

Here is an attempt at a OP trying to use some of my favorite colors.    on 8 x 8 Fluid paper, a paper I got at Dick Blick on sale, but I don't think I like it,  I used it for the Chicks and it is not good for scrubbing on a watercolor even lightly.     I blocked this one not to be right square with the paper, just off center.   I used that set of Grumbacher oil pastels I found in the garage.   I think its too cold here to work with oil pastel right now.    but it kept me busy.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 8 Jan 2013 12:17 AM

Marsha, for not being the paper most suited to OPs, you got it to take an amazing amount of glorious color! First of all, the colors are wonderful and are particular favorites of mine, too. Second, the way you've reflected images and colors between objects is beautiful. The glass in the bottles on the right rear reminds me of favrile glass from Louis Comfort Tiffany and the reflections in the cup are spot on. One thing you might consider is to have the curve on the bottom of the glass cup be slightly more curved than it is now. This is a painting I would be proud to frame and hang in my home.

Alex

Page 4 of 218 (3267 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS