2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 537 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 10:09 AM
Alex we miss you too. Hope you get back into the tech world soon. Thank you for your kind words. The new February challenge is up so take a look if you can. Hope to see you back here soon!

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 12:16 PM

Hi guys!   I was able to drag out of my "fog" and do at least one sketch.  This is not so good of Geri's grandson - I think it makes him look too old and I also got the shoulders too broad and that forward hand is really funny, too - - but I just had to try.  Cute boy and cute kid!  Last day is better that 6 months after - - even though I know any time is appropriate!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 31 Jan 2013 1:33 PM

Alex, it's so good to hear from you.  You have been missed and it's good to know that the problem was computer and not physical.  Looking forward to seeing some of  your delightful work in the February Challenge.

Holly, it's really good to hear from you and Geri will be delighted that you tackled his grandson.  You captured his image well.  Not to worry about broad shoulders.  No young man is going to complain about that.  The fabric looks good.  Hope that you find something of interest in the February Challenge and that you are well enough to do it.

Geri, you may not be aware that this January Challenge has had the most activities of any to date with 481 replies and 14 followers and we aren't done yet.  Marsha had the most in December but you passed her up.  It is so good to have so many new and active members.  Thanks for hosting this month.  Hope to see some of your work in the February Challenge.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 4:10 PM

ALEX - Thanks so much for the kind words. We miss you too. Been forever in computer days! (Like a dog's age...figure that a computer offline must be way up there in comp. age.)  Hope your laptop is rescued soon.

HOLLY - Your drwg. is quite nice. The kid goat is really good. I like the natural folds in the shirt. I find fabric hard to get just right. Thanks for sharing it.

JEN - Your drwg. of the ladies has lots of great contrast and shading in it. Looks like a page out of history.

GERI - I have a ptg. of Nate and his goat on a page that is half started, and I really wanted to do the ladies too, but I have a feeling these won't get done this month!!  May still try to finish later; will see.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 8:34 PM

Great Kim I will be sure and take a look.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 8:38 PM

Sam the response was great this month and I want to thank all that participated.  It was a lot different than Aug.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 8:42 PM

Holly I like the portrait.  It kind of looks like me from the nose up.  The goat is very good and so is the folds in the shirt.  Good job.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,539
Points 24,655
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 8:50 PM

Nate's brother Carl has a thing about Blue Jays.  I took went over and gave him the bird so to speak.  He thought it was great.  I don"t mind giving my stuff away if I feel like they appreciate it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 9:04 PM
Holly, glad you made it to the party this month! It is always great to see your smiling face. This is a good sketch of Geri's grandson. (not an easy reference iknow) You made the goat actually look like a goat and did a great job on the boy. His shoulders may be a tad wide but he is a big boy and it all looks good. The folds work well too. Hope you can join us in the February challenge too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Jan 2013 9:06 PM
Gerri thanks for hosting and some great references. I had fun doing them!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Feb 2013 11:23 AM

Jen really nice sketch of the two ladies I saw on the chatter line your oil painting very nice for a fast have to do

Holly good to see you posting nicely done

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 2 Feb 2013 8:18 PM

Holly, great portrait of Geri's nephew with the goat kid. It really springs to life and I love the face of the baby goat - so sweet!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 3 Feb 2013 10:12 AM

Jen, like Geri, I was so glad to see someone tackled the two colonial women doing handwork! You don't shy away from complex drawings. Your work is very light and delicate in the faces and darker on the clothes/bodies in this, which is interesting. You captured therir poses beautifully. The face of the woman on the left is so expressive - I'm envious! Do you use those white/gray "smudgers" (can't think of what theyre called - tortillons?) to make your shadows?

Sarah, what a beautiful picture of the women shopping at the farmer's market. It's so well executed and so perfectly captures the scene, with the natural-looking poses and overlapping of positions, and the suggestion of a background including the plant in a pot. And, of course, glorious flowers and color!

Bonnie, was it you who started posting the Zentangles? Forgive me if I'm not crediting the right person, but you started something! There something so attractive about patterns (think Gustav Klimt!). Sammy, your blue jays, interpreted as Zentangles, are beautiful. The blue jays and Bonnie's hearts in the February challenge lend themselves to note cards.

Bonny, your blue jay and flowering branches look beautiful, especially as Sammy has cropped the painting to give the jay more prominence. For some reason, this painting is evocative of an Asian porcelain vase - lovely.

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 3 Feb 2013 10:35 AM

Jen, a charming pencil rendering of the chicks - it is cracking me up to see how expressive their personalities are! You captured the somewhat spiky feathery coats so well, too.

Marsha! I'm so glad you liked the sheet of Wallis paper! Jen is right about supply problems - I waited about four months for my last order, but it is such wonderful paper. Now to what really matters - your blue jay. It is beautiful and I love the effect of putting it over a watercolor background. The background and stump colors truly make the bird the focus with his glorious plumage, and the background adds a subtle texture to the painting that is beautiful. Sammy's notes on using WC background with other media were interesting, too, and it's an approach that's now on my "to do" list.

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Feb 2013 1:04 PM
Alex, thanks for your nice comments on the ladies and the crazy chicks. I guess I did the ladies faces light because they were so small and I couldn't do much on their features. I tried to show the heaviness and the texture in their clothes and yes I used a tortilion on the clothes. Sometimes I do sometimes not it depends on what I am doing. I am not sure I am using them correctly!!

Page 33 of 36 (538 items) « First ...  < Previous  31 32 33 34 35  Next >  ... Last » | RSS