2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 8:42 PM
Hearadh, welcome to the forum! This is a beautiful landscape and I am sure it looks impressive in person. You are a very good artist and I hope we see more of ypur work here. The brooding sky looks very Scotish! Wonderful scenery. Is that near where you live?

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 8:44 PM
Sheila , great sketch of "Mayme" you have captured her well and her eyes just sparkle. I know this is not an easy reference but as you say a great challenge.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 8:48 PM
Alex, whoops! Sorry about the computer easy to do but hard to fix! I look forward to seeing all the paintings you have been doing in the meantime as soon as you get back online. NZJEN one day I will be there keep a bit of beach for me!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 8:50 PM

My oh My all this activity....  We had some emergencies as well as two days of bands to set up. 

Welcome to the new folks that joined us.  

Sam I love those rich colors you named,  

Suzanne, so happy to see you again,   I love the winter cabin and icycles hanging from the roof.   as well as the composition.    a very chilling piece..... burrrrrr,....

yea Sheila,   glad to see you too.l...  What a wonderful pencil portrait,   I love the softness you gave her as well as her name. Mayme.   great job.

Jen:  The Smiley One is adorable, what a great smile and laughing eyes.   great job with this pastel... love it.

NZJen  welcome...   You have an adorable pastel as well,  I really like the grey backgound it shows off the skin tones and hair.   a very beautiful pose from a darling little child. My family lives in Australia. and last year I had a 20 piece band from Wellington NZ come to perform at the Club. what fun...  living in this desert I would love to go to the beach.... especially this time of year....  your summer....

Kim:  Very nice Blue Jay,  I like the red (looks like it could be a barn) as your back ground.  nicely done and so small....   Your chicks are adorable and I love the way you hinted of the chicken wire in the background.   I wouldn't change the foiliage at all.  

Hearadh,  Welcome,   very nice landscape with the Mountain lion.   You will learn your way around here in no time.   Sam is correct, I might add this,   mainly we have two sites,   a 2013 Chatter, where we post anything we wish or just chat.   and the Monthly Challenge were we mainly work on the posted Photos, although sometime we might post on the Theme which this month is: "The Old and the New"  hence all the babies showing up....and of coarse you are NEW as well.    YEA!

Alex:  so sorry to hear about your laptop.   I'm just coming off of a crashed hard drive that I had to replace.   My problem is I hadn't backed up my computer for a couple of months and lost a lot of stuff.   so I have been spending the last week catching up with that as well....   I to used my phone....

Fred:   I saw your cabin and you could have posted that one here as well as there is a cabin on the reference photos....   the bear was a cute touch.   as usual you keep us interested and laughing....

Myself:   I'm having and art block ,  cant seem to get started on anything.   maybe too much going on...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 8:57 PM
Marsha, I guess we cross posted. We missed you glad you are back. Don't worry inspiration will come. I was like that last week then I did Smiley! Thanks for the nice words. I have a bit more to do on him but I am pleased with him.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 9:43 PM

Kim nice little paintings you have done..  The chicks have a very soft look like chicks should.  Your blue jay is very nice too.  I have been trying to paint this too and it is giving me fits.so I can appreciate your work.  Good job.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 9:50 PM

Hearadh very nice painting.  Someday when I grow up I will be able to paint like that (fat chance of that happening )   I have a question about the cat.  Are these feral cats or is it a species native to Scotland?

By the way I love the pipes.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 9:53 PM

Mayme reminds me of my mother in law.  You have done a very nice job.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Jan 2013 4:14 AM

Jen you were right, inspiration did come,  because I was looking at all of my old pond pictures, I found this one buried, and you all have done your grand kids.  I thought I would add mine.  so this evening I did this piece of my grandson Jackson in my pond trying to touch a koi,   This is 5x7 pastel on 9x12 cranson pastel paper and I started with a gesso with pumice ground tinted with ochre WC.    Now what do I fix it with... ?  so its an old picture with my new pastels...  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 860
Points 19,445
Hearadh wrote
on 22 Jan 2013 4:53 AM

Hello Geri(?)

growing up or painting???!!! Scottish wildcats are a native breed but very rare.

I like the traditional pipe music but the younger generation is turning the music into 'pop'.

I am Scottish but live in England, name is Sarah (Hearadh is my surname in Gaelic)

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 860
Points 19,445
Hearadh wrote
on 22 Jan 2013 5:06 AM

Thanks to one and all for  the kind comments and welcome to the group.

Wetpaperfan   it is a Scottish wildcat., a large rare native pussycat. Difficult to see the scale of it in this painting.

Turps               I am Scottish but live in England. My sketch books are full of Scottish scenery which I find useful now that plein air painting is a no go.

Sam,JV and Fred  thank you for your interest.

Sarah (Hearadh is my surname in Gaelic)

Sarah

feel free to make constructive c/c...no digital alterations please

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 959
Points 13,935
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Jan 2013 6:34 AM

Sarah, so nice to see your painting of the Scotland mountains. I especially like your value contrasts between the sky and the mountains and the addition of the big wild cat. Welcome to the forum, hope to see many more lovely paintings.

Sheila, bravo on your Mayme. You have softened her appearance which is a great improvement for her, as I'm sure it is for the rest of us on the older end of this challenge. Good job on a difficult challenge.

Marsha, love your grandson at the pond. You have captured that lovlely little boy look, and your colours turned out beautfully, especially his cap and the bricks. I also like that you can almost see the koi in the swirling pond. Your old picture with new pastels turned out great. I imagine your grandson gets a lot of enjoyment with your pond.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 22 Jan 2013 7:45 AM

Alex, let's hope that your computer is repaired or replaced quickly.  We miss your smiley personality and input.

Marsha, you are doing super well with your new pastels.  This is a darling portrayal of Jackson reaching for koi. You captured his baby chubbiness and deep concentration on those fish.  I also like that the koi's color is suggested in the water and I like the swirls in the water.  Well done!   

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 22 Jan 2013 8:14 AM

Top of the Morning to all!!!!  Welcome to new friends.  This month's challenge "new and old" has really unleashed a lot of artistic excitement.   Exceptional job everyone on the paintings of children - especially of those so dear to your heart.   I believe that knowing your subject personally makes a big difference between a good likeness and a great portrait capturing not just the form but the personality as well. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 22 Jan 2013 8:32 AM

Thanks for the kind words about my sketch of "Mayme". Actually - that was my auntie's name. Thought it fit. Thanks again.

Page 23 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  21 22 23 24 25  Next >  ... Last » | RSS