2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 537 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 6:34 PM

Good to see you here again Susanna. Sorry you have been going through a rough time. The cabin looks good you were wise to change it around and the trees and cold snow work well with it. hope to see more of your work soon.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 6:39 PM

Well I worked some more on the Smiley One today and got a good bit done just some tweeking to do now I think. I am quite pleased with the likeness. He was 5 months old here but 20 lbs! He takes after my husband who was a giant baby too but ended up quite normal. he is always smiling and such a happy boy.

8 x8 on Wallis papstel paper with various pastels and pastel pencils.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 19 Jan 2013 7:10 PM

Oh, Jen, what a precious baby boy.  What big eyes and crooked little smile.  You did a great job on the skin tones and the eyes look wonderful.  The green and red along with his smile make it just glow.  The soft blue background is perfect.  This is destined to be a family treasure.  

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 1:00 AM

I hope Ive posted in the right place this time!

Hi everyone

I havent been around for a while. Ive enjoyed seeing all the posts on the January challenge, i think the challenge is a great idea, and a nice way to share, sharing a project. Ive been having some pain too as it happens, so, although I know this isnt a health forum, I appreciated the tips and put them into action straight away!

If I can remember how to do this and get it right I will post a pastel I did of my baby grand daughter. Because of my disability I have a few difficulties using soft pastel, things seem to blur into each other, so this one has all been done in hard pastel.

Im hoping to have a go at the bluejay, it looks like a wonderful match for my new schminke cerulean blue.

NZJen

Comments and critiques welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 1:01 AM

PS - Turps 245 I loved your smiley baby!

NZJen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 20 Jan 2013 8:58 AM

NZJen, welcome back.  You must give us your name so that we know what to call you.  Give grandmothers the option to paint something new and, guess what, we start painting our grandchildren.  This pastel rendering of your adorable granddaughter is so nice.  I love the pose, the colors and her hair.   Wonderful painting.  It's a pleasure to see your work and, hopefully, we will be seeing more.     

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 12:17 PM

Jen a beautiful painting of a beautiful baby love the smile

NZJen hard pastels or no great job I'm going to guess New Zealand Jen? I'm probobly so wrong

Jim C&C welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 3:43 PM

Thanks Sam. I see there is another Jen contributing regularly, so I dont mind at all being called NZJen, so everyone knows which one of us is being referred to.

NZJen

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 4:44 PM
NZ Jen, this is a wonderful painting of your beautiful little granddaughter. They are just irresistible aren't they! The pose is so typical and not easy to do with the foreshortening in the legs and the way her head is turned. She has such a sweet expression on her face too. I too tend to use nupastels which is a hard pastel and pastel pencils for portraits although I used softer ones for the background, hat and shirt. Terry Ludwig, Rembrants, mount Vision. The TL are really soft you just have to touch with them. Are you actually from New Zealand? I have relatives there and I am from UK origionally.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 4:49 PM
Sammy, Jim and nzJen, thanks so much for the nice words on my painting. I see some things that need work, his mouth and his right eye and the Howard says his right cheek is too big. I will take another look. His Mum likes it which is a first so I must be closer than normal!

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 575
NZJen wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 5:11 PM

Hi Jen

Yes I am from Auckland New Zealand.

Thanks for the advice.

NZJen

NZJen

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 5:27 PM
One of my cousins lives in Cockle Bay which is not too far from you. My other one lives in Waitakere. Small world. One day I might get over there for a visit.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 5:40 PM

Suzanna - your colors are great, the blues showing off the dks. so nicely.

Jen -  How adorable is this! Not only did you portray him as so cute, but I also like the texture in the hat fur.

NZJen - Love your colors - really well done. Like your avatar too!

Here are a  couple that I did recently.

2 1/2  x 3 1/2" watercolor (This 1st one may be bigger than the ptg, but perhaps easier to view online.)

5 1/2 x 3 1/2" watercolor & w/c pencil

For the chick ptg., I added the greenery on the left later, so I now see that I need to go back and make it more consistent with the other greenery w/ splotches of same colors.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 5:58 PM
Kim, these are so cute and really good. I have to admire all you guys who have done these little birds. I had a go and made a right mess of them. I love the chicks they each have such personalities. The one in the middle looks like she is watching out for the others. The greenery looks good to me. The bluebird is really well done too. I don't know how you get such detail on such a small painting. Great work!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 20 Jan 2013 6:08 PM

Kim both post are very well done but I'm drawn to the chicks I don't know why you think you have to change the greenery unless I'm missing something it looks great

Jim C&C welcomed

Page 21 of 36 (538 items) « First ...  < Previous  19 20 21 22 23  Next >  ... Last » | RSS