2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:41 PM

Sam - WOW, if this photo isn't good, it must be so stunning to view up close. This is incredible.

I too had the comp. up for a bit this morn. and glanced just in time to see your post. However, sorry to say that I had my hands full here (when you have an 11 yr. old daughter, home sick, that says it all), and had to take off besides (hubby to care for her). I'm not familiar with the colors you mentioned, and I have not done OPs in SO long, but I can recognize that your piece is perfect. You made great choices!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 6:43 PM

SAM:  before I start I want to apologize for not getting back sooner.... I didn't go to bed untilj 6:30am so I was sleeping through out this whole posting of your beautiful Olivia. 

I brought up both and put them side by side and your color choice for the back ground is PERFECT.   It made the light on her little perfect face just glow...and her hair look like you could just reach up and want to touch her.   I know how difficult it is to paint a new born, do to their translucent skin, but you mastered it. You corrected the blue under her face wonderfully,  there is just one speck of blue left to tone, right where the shadow meets her head.   Your back ground color choice compliments her hair, its the purple/yellow effect,  I love it.  You have such a soft touch that it enhances the softness of this little angel.   A kind soul recently sent me a sample of Wallis paper and it is so pure and soft I was amazed,  I would suggest the next time you do such an important portrait, you try Wallis as your support.   The colorfix leaves those bumps which you worked around, but I can see they gave you the fits in spots.    One question, how did you do the background?  did you use OMS?  This  portrait takes my breath away,    My dear Sam,  you will win an award for this one....  I guarantee it!

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 6:59 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.  I see the light line on her head Geri.  Yes, Marsha, the Colorfix was too textured and it shows in the photographs.  You don't see it in the original unless you get your face into it.  I have several jars of Colorfix.  I wonder what would happen if I thinned it with some acrylic paint.

Thanks for the glowing compliments.  I'm sorry if I seemed pouty.  I am feeling down about losing most of the people who were in this group when it started.  It kind of depresses me.  But, I should be rejoicing because we have gained some super people lately.  Thank goodness, or we would have folded by now.

Marsha, I just scribble the OP on and then blend it with my fingers.  I use a rubber tool called a clay shaper to gently press the colors up against the portrait.  I also use a colored pencil here and there to touch up edges.  I don't use any solvents or OMS.  I rarely do.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 7:04 PM

Marsha & Sam - OMS??  Sorry, I prob. know this, but can't think now so could you explain pls.?...or else I don't know it and am trying to seem not so dumb. Embarrassed

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 7:07 PM

Kim, you're not dumb at all.  How are you to know?  OMS isn't anything like PMS.  It is Oderless Mineral Spirits.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 7:22 PM

Cath:  I really like the new scan and finished shelf piece.  your use of wc and pencil was done really well.  This scanner have a better correction of the color you used and didn't have that sepia tone you usually get.   I love the curtains in the window that was a great choice.  You made this your own with what you left out and added it.  Great job you can take a bow.   You took all the criticism and we all Gleened the education.   

I have a suggestion for you to try.   When you have a reflection in a window or a glass or anything reflective, if you want to get it spot on,  turn the picture upside down and your painting upside down and paint the reflective part of the photo.   It makes your brain look at the shapes in the reflection differently.  just try it as a practice to see what happens...

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 7:40 PM

I'm sorry,   Sam is correct,  Oderless Mineral Spirits,  or MS for just Mineral Spirits,  some folks use these products for thinning out the OP for a painterly effect....   

Sam: you did a beautiful job.      because you have so much colorfix, if you are used to it

Sam I did purchase the color shaper's . the grey ones, but I wish I had the clay shapers as they are firmer, but I can't find them except in a packet and I just want a couple of separate  sizes.  

Its been 17 degrees here in Las Vegas and  its way to cold for OP's even if I warm them up the air just cools them down to fast.   I am back to WC for awhile.   just practicing stuff....  The soft pastels are really messy and I'm not set up for them yet either as I have a carpet.  maybe when it gets warmer I can set it all up better.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:20 PM
Susan I love this big slightly abstract bird. Very well done. You have a very special style.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:25 PM
CATHERINE, your bird houses turned out really well. I like the detail in each house and I think it all works so well together, SAMMY Great finish to your great ganddaughter's portrait. I think the background colour works well. I always struggle with back grounds on portraits. She looks so peaceful and prescious.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,815
Points 46,860
Turps245 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:30 PM
Even though I have been MIA I have been collecting pictures for the February challenge and I have most of them. Just wondered if anyone had any hot chocolate or chocolate related still life pictures. As February is valantines and still a snowy month I thught I would make a lovers, cold and snow, hot chocolate theme. Sounds weird but if you think about it does kinda relate! It all says Romance in a way!:)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 950
Points 13,785
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 17 Jan 2013 5:43 AM

It's been a couple of busy weeks with work and ladies curling bonspiel. The bonspiel doesn't usually take up so much time but we played to the end, won first in the second event and played 5 games. Takes a lot of rest time to get over at our age. Sorry to be out of the loop.

Cathrine, the bird houses were a particularly hard challenge and you tackled it with great results. We all learned a lot from your experiences, and thank you Sam for the advice of the Mr. Clean eraser.

Sam, your portrait is wonderfull, you must be so proud of it. I really like the background you chose that brings out the colour of her hair.  I wondered what colour you used to soften the blue shadow over her eye? You mentioned that you would use a warm colour. This is often a problem and your fix really worked.

Susan, your blue jay is spectacular, a very artistic painting and I loved your colours. Also thank you for your lovely comments about the group. It is wonderful getting to know everyone and for all the support and advice that is so generously offered. I am also very appreciative of everyones work at posting the challenge, you can tell that a lot of thought goes into the selection of photo's.

Jen, looking forward to next months challenge sounds intriguing. I am still working on the chicks without much success but will keep at it and see what happens.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 17 Jan 2013 6:33 AM

Bonnie, I used a medium shade of Venetian Red (purplish red) to tone down the dark blue on Olivia's face.  Thanks for the encouraging words.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 17 Jan 2013 7:31 AM

Sam & Marsha: OMS - got it! Thank goodness it's not like PMS!!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 17 Jan 2013 8:31 AM

Sam -  I loved the first first painting, she is definitely captured with the light background she is the center of attention. My eye were drawn to her and not the back ground. It should be matted and framed definitely. Absolutely lovely! Wink

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 515
S.artista wrote
on 17 Jan 2013 1:10 PM

hello everyone.

this is a model of a volcano at eruption.

sanaa.

Page 18 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  16 17 18 19 20  Next >  ... Last » | RSS