2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 10:30 AM

Catherine, your birdhouse painting is very nice.  Perspective, as I'm sure you know, is responsible for the brackets  not lining up.  It looks right to me.  And the sagging shelf looks natural.  I've had many shelves that look like that.  You managed to darken things up and it looks nice.  You already know that the perspective of the window is off.  That would have been difficult to fix.  I like that you put curtains in the window rather than attempting to paint the reflections. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:44 AM

Thank you Sam. Perspective can be tricky and I have a book on perspective for artists but need to crack it more and then take time to get it right on paper. I enlarged the actual photo up to 200% on my monitor in order to see the details but doing that chopped off half the window. I like to see curtains in a painting and have really only tried them a couple of times. I need to draw them more as they do have a certain way they should look. I also need to buckle down and learn to paint reflections.  I also learned to not ever again draw in so much with a pencil on the actual watercolor paper. When I tried to erase the pencil lines on the brick work it smeared graphite onto the paper and I ended up with too much left over graphite on the clean paper.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 11:27 AM

It is one I would be proud to hang Catherine very good

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 1:06 PM

Catherine -  I love the way you changed the reflections in the window to curtains. The perspective really worked too. The flaws in the bick worked in well also. I'm no expert, but I think your painting turned out wonderfulYes.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,032
Points 46,095
on 16 Jan 2013 1:22 PM

Catherine, I love this piece for many of the reasons mentioned by others. To add to those reasons, it has been such a valuable learning experience for you and the rest of us as well as you went through this process. I personally learned a great deal that I want to incorporate into my own work from the things you did that remained the same and the things you reworked or revised. So, not only valuable, but a lovely painting.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 2:04 PM

Thank you Jim, Jean and Alex! Sometimes I think sweating the little stuff can be as important as getting the big stuff right. I don't know how Sandi paints so many teeny paintings!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jan 2013 4:41 PM

Alex is the only kind soul who responded to my post earlier today so I went ahead and put in the background without your suggestions.  I can't get a good photo of this.  The background isn't as red as in the photo and Olivia isn't as pale and pink.  I will put it up for a few days and then look at it again.

As I said earlier, it is 8X12 inches on mat board that was primed with Rose Grey Colorfix Primer.  The OPs that I used are Holbeins, Senns and Neopastels.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 4:51 PM

Sam I kind of like that rosy gray color for the back ground.  I know that you have to cover it so that it will be a painting instead of a drawing but I like the color.  also there is a very slight white line at the top of her head.  I guess you will fix that when you do the background.  Very nice wip I am sure it will even better when you finish.  You passed my wifes critique too.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 4:56 PM

Alex don't sell yourself short.  You don't have to be a professional artist to notice something that doesn't look right to you.  You may not know how to fix it but you know if its not right.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:00 PM

Sam I can only hope you will except my apology I saw your first post and forgot about seeing it, you have always been among if not the very first responders to both mine and everyone and I  mean everone elses work of [sometimes especially in my case ] Art  as always your painting is first class more than I can say for myself at this time

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:01 PM

Catherine all I can say is I wish I had painted that. I would not have noticed the saggy shelf and end brackets if you had not pointed them out.  Very well done .YesYes

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:20 PM

Thank you Geri!  I appreciate the wonderful comment.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:22 PM

Sam this is just beautiufl! I feel like lowering my voice so I don't wake her up.  I saw your question earlier asking about what to do but I had no idea what to tell you.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:27 PM

Catherine - Your birdhouse ptg. is certainly well done! I esp. like the way the brick washes fade out. Like your shadows on things too. Re. shelf ends at the bottoms not being ident - like a shelf sagging (character!), it could also be that the wood ends were cut diff., actually giving it that look of not a manufactured "off the shelf" type shelf.

Yes

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:39 PM

Thank you Kim! The wood ends are the same in the photo and it was me who messed them up in my painting lol It took a long time and a lot of dry brush work.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Page 17 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  15 16 17 18 19  Next >  ... Last » | RSS