2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 9:34 PM

We had dinner last night with one of my best friends in life, she is an artist with many beautiful paintings of all media. As I was sharing with her, I took my Iphone out and we sat together and viewed everyone's postings on this forum this month.. She was so impressed with Catherine,Jen,Geri,Marsha,JM, Marsha, Holly,Fred,Jim,Alex,Joyce,James and Sam's paintings,sketches, ink and charcoal art submitted. We sat together viewing each and everyone's input and what all they give of themselves. To be real honest, my heart was pounding thinking I belong in a group of friends sharing one thing in commom....the brush,paint,pencil and paper. I am blessed. Thank you, each one of you for giving of your time and talents to help all of us grow. If I left anyone out, please forgive me, I knew I needed a pencil and paper to remember all. What a great group and so proud to spend the evening with you virtually. Thank you for your kindess of comments to me on my bird.   Asusanrae.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 13 Jan 2013 9:43 PM

Susan, what a lovely message! Thank you. You are indeed in the company of friends.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 13 Jan 2013 9:49 PM

How in the world did I miss Jean, Bonnie,Sheila & Kim, these four ladies are so important in our group, I appreciate these four also, so very  much. I'm probably missing a few to mention.    Asusanrae

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 4:39 AM

Thank you Susan!   It certainly is as the we all share space in this virtual artist's studio!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 10:33 AM

Susan  Thank you for a very thoughtful comment 

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 12:18 PM

Thank you Susanne for the honor of being one of your friends

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 12:29 PM

I appreciate the interest and your comment. I am truly a novice and this meant so much, thank youSmile Your friendship is welcomed.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 12:29 PM

I appreciate the interest and your comment. I am truly a novice and this meant so much, thank youSmile Your friendship is welcomed.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 14 Jan 2013 12:55 PM

Susan, you're right, this is a great bunch of people and I value the friendship and the critiques of each and every one.  It saddens me when we lose people.  Hopefully, you'll find more time to join us.  Sandi is tied up with her beautiful miniature pieces and Jen gets tied up from time to time with family and grandchildren.  Holly is having physical problems that keep her away.  I truly miss all of you when you can't be here.

2012 ended with a bang and 2013 started really well with losts of activity on this forum.  I'm looking forward to a great 2013.

This morning my critique group met and several people were absent so we ended up with eleven of us.  I spent some time bragging about our group and passed the Christmas cards around.  Everyone was impressed and the comments were all good. You are a great bunch and I do treasure those cards.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 14 Jan 2013 4:41 PM

Susan, thank you so much for the lovely sentiment. I've really apprec. the welcome from everyone since I just recently started this forum. I esp. look fwd. to getting to know all of you more. I do know this much already - you're all very good artists! I'm enjoying all of your works and learning from them too.

Sam - critique group? Sounds intriguing.

I'm in the mid. of a couple chall. ptgs. - hope to have a post by this wkend.. Everyone's work has been inspiring to keep the brushes wet.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 9:29 AM

Well, I've tried to upload my challenge photo/painting but I kept getting an error message so I'll try again later. I'm just posting this now to see if it's the upload that's a problem or if it's the site it's self or what.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 9:39 AM

It looks like my file is too big so I'll have to post my painting after bit.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 16 Jan 2013 9:51 AM

You may remember that I'm experimenting to see if I can paint portraits in oil pastels. The plan was to finish this OP of Olivia today but I'm not going to since I can't decide on a background color.  If I go with a light color, the portrait will be washed out. The same with a medium color.   I think I need to go dark, real dark so that her hair will stand out.  I have two real dark art sticks - Mars Violet and Egyptian Violet.  Please share you opinion and also any correction you see.

Now that I took the photo, I see two corrections I need to take care of.  One, the blanket is pointing out of the painting at the lower left.  That will be easy to fix.  Two, there is too much blue on the shadow side of her face near the eye.  I need to add a little bit of a dark warm color to cut that blue.

This is 8X12 on mat board that has been primed with Rose Grey Colorfix Primer.  Oil pastels used are Holbein, Senns and Caran d'Ache Neopastels.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 16 Jan 2013 10:09 AM

Sam, it is fascinating to hear your thoughts as you analyze and tweak your painting and I love that you are shaing them with us. Hiwever, I'm not qualified - don't have the knowledge - to give constructive comments on this beautiful piece. I'm laughing over my coffee as a picture comes to mind: Some workman (me) hauling pieces of lumber into the Sistine Chapel looks up and shouts, "Hey, Mike, old buddy, you need warmer colors on that guy's fingertip!" Seriously, it is beautiful and so far beyond my expertise.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 10:19 AM

This is lighter than the original but that's ok as you get the jest and the person who does my scanning is right in the middle of tax season. I hate to bug her too much. I know that the wood shelf brackets don't match in size a the bottom tips, the top shelf it's self is warped but all in all this has been a real skill builder for me and I am so glad I took this photo on.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 95
Page 16 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  14 15 16 17 18  Next >  ... Last » | RSS