2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 8:16 AM

Geri - Your drwg. is EXCELLENT!!   (BTW: Alex only whispered the thing about the PHOTOSHOP MAT...not too many heard. Big Smile)

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 5:05 AM

I'm posting 2 progress pictures of the bird houses and shelf.  I'm using a Strathmore cold press, heavy duty, that says it's suited for watercolor experimentation. and that it accepts a variety of techniques. I've pushed ths paper past it's  "variety of techniques" and it shows in the second picture. I need to retape as it's buckled pretty bad. I have a lot of shading to do, and finish the rest of the objects on the shelf.  I've never painted bricks before and that issue needs addressed. I want to wait on the shading and finishing the shelf and items on it until I've done the background work as I was want the colors and light in the overall  picture to be balanced. We'll see where it goes from here as there is a lot of work I need to do yet on this.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 5:08 AM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 12 Jan 2013 6:12 AM

Catherine, wow! I am so curious to see where this will go next. It has been done with such precision, which I find very interesting, as part of your repertoire of styles is a loose and freewheeling approach. This is lovely.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 12 Jan 2013 6:15 AM

P.S. The perspective on the shelf and tiny houses looks very good!

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 6:24 AM

LOL. Alex I'm as curious to see where this goes as you are!  Thanks though for the compliment on it. I like precision work like you see in Fergus A. Ryan's work and at the same time like the free style of Mara Schasteen and the limited  palette of Lee Stockdale's stunning nudes. All of those artists are in the Member Gallery here.  There is so much to learn.  Check out Isidore Leroy de Barde's precision work in watercolor and gouche on this web site.

http://theappendix.net/blog/2012/11/cabinets-of-curiosity:-the-web-as-wunderkammer

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 6:28 AM

Thanks Alex. I love perspective. Have you checked out Courtney Jordan's website? Her perspective work is to die for.

If you look at the left hand corner area of my shelf underneath there just seems to be a shading issue. I have to be careful pulling that darker color out but as long as I don't  mess with the edges I should be ok.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 12 Jan 2013 6:29 AM

Oh, Ferguson A. Ryan is one of my favorite artists! I'll check out these others you've mentioned. :-)

Alex

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,033
Points 46,115
on 12 Jan 2013 6:30 AM

Darn auto correct! FERGUS.

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Jan 2013 8:19 AM

Catherine, you are doing a great job on the birdhouses.  I am glad to see that you put those dark darks in first.  The houses look good as Alex mentioned.  That dark corner under the shelf on the left looks exactly as it should - very natural. The shelf looks good.  Don't forget to darken the shadow sides of the birdhouses. I don't think you need to do much with the brick wall.  An occasional brick here and there is all you need.  You don't want the background stealing the attention.  I like how the lines of the bricks are lost on the left.  You don't need to portray every brick.  Just suggest some.

To be honest, I'm not fond of the dark bricks surrounding the window.  It may look better if there were just a few bricks on one side and a very light suggestion of a brick or two on the other side and not directly across from the other.  And removing or lightening that line of bricks under the window would be a plus.   Also, the few bricks you put in could be a little different in color and value.

This is looking so good and I'm eager to see its progression.  You sure are producing a lot a fantastic art.  Kudos to you.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 9:26 AM

Thanks Sam. I do need to lighten up the bricks around the window but with watercolor it's impossible to take them out. I'm hoping to try to reduce that mirror image of bricks on either side of the window and that could be done easy enough I think. The line of bricks under the window will have to stay there as again I can't really take them out and will probably just try to do a gradual shading on them. I wish I had left those out now and am hoping my damage control will look ok.  The bricks directly to the left of the stautes foot need lightened up too. I still need to actually put the details and roof on the bigger white birdhouse, the two little white ones, put another darker glaze color on the round pottery one and then finish up the statue.  Also the window pane area needs painting with reflections and I need to lighten up the edge of the stone window sill. There is still a lot to do to it.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 10:15 AM

WOW Jen, you this is powerful and extremely good.    Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 10:20 AM

Catherine your painting is coming on great.  You seam to have a good plan for what needs to be done.  The dark bricks don't look bad to me.  If I remember the bricks were painted white and were loosing their paint.  You can lighten the bricks by re-wetting them and blotting with paper towels.  How much this takes up depends on how much staining power of the pigments in your paint.  I believe that this will be your best work to date.  Keep up the good work.  YesYes

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 12 Jan 2013 10:37 AM

Good Morning Artist Friends!

I love each and every painting,sketch and drawings posted, some I have missed making comments, I will be doing so.

This is the bluebird, w/c  9x12, just simply don't know if and what kind of background, so I stopped.  Asusanrae

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Jan 2013 11:04 AM

Catherine, have you tried lifting watercolor with a Mister Clean Magic Eraser.  It works like a charm.  I cut the eraser sponge into four to eight pieces, dampen a piece slightly (not real wet) and blot the watercolor then blot with a soft cloth or paper towel.  I realize that you can't remove all the paint but the way it is now it looks like a frame around the window.  Again, this is coming along very well and looks great.

Susan, what a good take on the Blue Jay.  In a 9X12 format, he must look dynamic.  There is life in his eye.  I love your freedom in selecting colors.  I don't think that you need a background.  He stands out nicely against the existing light background.  This is a very nice painting.  Thanks for sharing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 14 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS