2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 535 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 9:04 AM

Hi catherine, I think your correct about trying to avoid to much medication, one thing that should be good to take is code liver oil or omega 3 (I think it's 3) There is a book about food and inflamation that gives information on different food's effect on inflamation, if it increases it or decreases it.  The author feels that everyone should eat a balance so that we are not increasing inflamation by foods.  The cod liver oil is unbelievably high to decrease inflamation. And I don't think it will damage any other parts of the body.  We always had to take it as children but now they have nice pills. Can't wait to see those chicks agian. I keep thinking about them.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 951
Points 13,805
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 9:09 AM

Thank you Catherine, I was thinking about india ink and sepia to make it look old however I don't always have very good success from india ink. I will give it a try though and see what happens.  I think the gun should be longer and appears to curve to the back will try some changes to see if it can be corrected.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 4 Jan 2013 11:20 AM

Sam, thanks again for the reccommenddation on the blue jay's eye. I did it (below) and it made a big difference!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Jan 2013 11:34 AM

Yes, Alex, it did make a difference.  This is another precious paintings.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 1:03 PM

Alex your Blue Jay is just the berriesWink  Sorry I couldn't help myself.  Very nice both bird and holly.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 1:08 PM

Catherine I too am doing the chicks.  Mine is in Ink but it looks like its going to play second fiddle when you get done. You seem to have a natural feel for watercolor which I envy.  Keep up the good work.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 1:18 PM

Boonie I see you started with the flintlock.  To let you know guns are VERY hard to draw.  I don't know why but the always seem to be crooked.  You have made a good attempt and I like your setting that you put it in.  When I Finlay get around to doing this photo I will probably have the same problems as you.  Good work.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 1:23 PM

I thought I would start the New Year with youth and wisdom captured in the images presented in the January  challenge. These were done in watercolors, Strathmore 140# CP paper. Wisdom (Old Woman) 7x9; youth (baby's feet)  9x5 . I  don't do portraits very much its truly a challenge. for me. 

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Jan 2013 2:03 PM

Jean, portraits are difficult but hands and feet are even more so.  Congratulation on your willingness to accept a challenge.  I like that the baby's feet are pink and youthful and the woman's hand and arm are colors of a more mature person.  You captured the shape of the arm well.  The lower foot is done very well and the other foot is close.  Nice dark shadow under the hand, arm and leg.

I like the colors  you used in your portrait of the old lady.  The mauve for the shadows in her hair works very well.  In fact, you did the hair very well.  Nice job on the eyes and I like your looseness and freedom in painting in the eyebrows.  Too bad that she didn't get an eyebrow brush for Christmas.  I hadn't noticed how uneven her teeth are, but you did.  The mouth looks good and well used.

You have the essential and did a good job.  Keep working at portraits and your skills will gradually develop.

Thank you for your most kind comments on the portrait of my daughter when she was a baby.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 2:05 PM

Jean you know if you don't push yourself out of your comfort zone you never learn.  I am the same way with portraits and I need to learn how to do them at least so people can recognize who it is supposed to be.  I think part of your problem with watercolor is that you are trying to paint with it like you would acrylic.  You need to try wetting the area that you want to work on and then float your paint in on the wet area.  Go to you tube and search watercolor technique and you will find many helpful demos.  Good luck.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 6:17 PM

Sam thank you for your input and encouragement. I'm afraid the original did not look like the one postedEmbarrassed. When it downloaded the colors became more harsh. I'm sorry. But. I'll continue to practice and hope the downloads will be improve Geeked. Maybe I'll try Picasa or fotoshop.

Jean M.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 6:27 PM

Gerri thanks for the advice. When I have free time I do search through YouTube, then its practice-practice-practice along with getting out of the box Hmm.

Jean M.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 9:21 PM

What fun these photo's will be, that is why our forum is called a "Challenge." Thank you for letting me be a pAlex, your blue jay art of this group and I love reading and seeing the paintings submitted.

Alex, I love the colors and perfection of your bluejay, love it!  Catherine, your chicks remind is very good and very warm and cheery, so darn cute. Bonnie & Jean, I can't sketch as you both do, very impressive and looking forward to seeing more. Sam, I did see your paitning before, BUT always am drawn  to your artwork, so precise and beautifully done. I admiore all of you.

Geri, Thank you for hosting, your challenge photo's have inspired me to think out of the box, will have a colorful painting submitted hopefully tomorrow.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 9:23 PM

Do extremely well done, I feel as if I'm in a gallery tonight looking at fine art.   Asusanrae

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 9:27 PM

Jean,  I love your paintings, so talented. Love yoru work.  asusanrae

Page 5 of 36 (536 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS