2013 ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE---January #27

This post has 537 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 2 Jan 2013 8:45 PM

Yikes! I'm redoing my drawing of the blue hay and will post it tomorrow. I know better than to do something in a rush! Apologies!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,533
Points 24,595
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 9:07 PM

Alex I can't see the picture of your blue jay but it showed up on my E-mail And it looks very nice.  Glad to see an early poster.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 9:08 PM
Okay so what happened? There was a cute little blue jay and then there wasn't!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 2 Jan 2013 9:15 PM

Am so embarrassed! Deleted the blue jay and am redoing. Thank you for your reassuring words, but I want to take my time with it and do justice to Geri's photo and the magnificent bird.

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 8:43 AM

Alex, I like your new avatar a lot.  It's a well done drawing.  However, I miss seeing your smiling face.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 9:09 AM

I have prepared the support and completed the drawing of the newest member of our family when she was a new born.  It will be Tuesday before I get back to it.  In the meantime, here is a colored pencil painting that I did of my daughter eating a popsicle using a black and white photo taken in 1961.  The size is 12"X12"   Some of you may have seen it before.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 9:20 AM

Sam great pencil drawing it must take hours and hours to do these my attention span has deterierated to much for colored pencils I'm afraid

Geri great photos I'm still sorting through to get one to start on

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 9:21 AM

Sammy - This is just too adorable!  I can just hear her giggling and I'm glad I don't have to clean up those carrot drools!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 3 Jan 2013 9:34 AM

Sam - OH MY!!!!  You definitely captured the sparkling personality of your baby daughter!!!  You are a master of the colored pencil!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 200
Points 3,665
on 3 Jan 2013 9:36 AM

Sam - OH MY!!!  What a spectacular painting of your baby daughter - You've really captured her sparkeling personality!!!  You definitely have mastery of the colored pencil.  Well done!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 11:41 AM

Thank you Jim, Holly and Sheila.  She was eating a popsicle and I couldn't tell what color it was in the black and white photo so I chose orange.  Many people mistake it for a carrot.

Some people debate this but it is my understanding that if a work is a sketch, it is a drawing.  If most of the paper is covered, it is a painting.  Even if it is done with colored pencil, pastel, etc., it is a painting.  Some people have a problem with calling pencil work a painting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 49,215
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 12:26 PM
Sammy you are queen of CP's! This is such an adorable painting of your daughter. I agree with Holly you can hear baby giggles. Love the drip ping ice trickling down her tummy too!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,325
on 3 Jan 2013 1:30 PM

Sam, this is WONDERFUL. I'm always amazed at your genious with CPs -- have never seen anyone else use them so so exquisitely. And the expression!

Thank you, too, for clarifying the difference between paintings and drawings -- I've always been unsure what to call various pieces.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Jan 2013 7:36 PM

Sammy:   Love the adorable painting of Nancy,  she looks like she is sooooo enjoying that orange popcycle.   This show me how long you have been doing CP's .  my my ,  you have an amazing ability to use those pencils...      

You mentioned getting your ground ready ( I just found out last month what ground meant)  .   What do you do  to prepare your ground?   I just bought some "Golden Acrylic Ground for Pastel" but don't have a clue what I am supposed to do with it......    ok "Teacher"   teach me..... tee hee

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Jan 2013 7:59 PM

Thank you Jen, Alex and Marsha.

Marsha, I have never used the product that you mentioned so I looked it up on Dick Blick and here is what I found.

"Apply this translucent acrylic ground to paper, board, or any surface you wish. It provides a rough, "gritty" tooth, making it perfect for use with pastel, graphite, chalk or charcoal, and for the preparation of canvas and other supports for pastels.

It can be blended with Golden Acrylic colors for colored grounds, or with Golden Fine or Coarse Pumice Gel to increase tooth."

If I do an underpainting in preparation for pastels or oil pastels, I will apply either clear gesso or clear Colorfix Primer over the underpainting.  After applying with a brush, I use a sponge roller to smooth it.  The roller will give texture to the gesso but the Colorfix already has a sandy tooth.  The product you have apparently also has a sandy tooth.  If I don't do an underpainting, I may mix an acrylic color with the white gesso.

You don't want a real gritty surface for colored pencils.  It will eat up your pencils.  The sandy texture is great for soft pastels and oil pastels.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 36 (538 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS