ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 2 Jan 2013 12:05 PM

Hi Kim, I don't have regular watercolors, just the watercolor pencils, so I'm not sure of the difference in the sheen. It's a good thing im not anywhere near an art store - it would be impossible to get out without wanting everything in sight!

Thanks again for the comment in my avatar. I did the drawing on site at the museum. Our classes called for drawing from the exhibits.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 2 Jan 2013 3:49 PM

SAM, Thanks for the compliment on the avatar...I'm sure I haven't changed from this (right) - or at least I kept the same hips.  ;)   MARSHA, I forgot to answer your ? of where I'm at: South of Chicago, IL, in a more rural area. I put some info. in the bio. but I'm still getting used to the tech stuff, so I'll get it in there later.

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 2 Jan 2013 4:16 PM

Marsha, I just went through all the pages of this thread so that I could send friend requests to the new people and was shocked at how many new people joined in this month.  It was a great month with terrific photos and a wonderful response and exciting work.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 4:12 AM

I haven't repainted the bridge scene yet but I did do this charcoal and graphite sketch of a section of it. It's about 12 x 18 and is done on a very light weight sketch paper. Since I took this picture I have gone in and lightened the foreground shadow at the far edge of the path up but just a little

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 6:26 PM

Catherine - I'm not sure which section it is - - is it the tree closest to the bridge reflecting in the water?  The shadow is good and the reflection, too.  You might want some "harder" edges on the tree - - just crisp them up a bit.  I used to love working with graphite and  vine charcoal but haven't done it in years.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Jan 2013 10:40 PM

Catherine, also not sure which bit you are doing but it looks interesting.

I had a go at the bottle and candle. was a lot harder than I though. I did add a bit of colour but it doesn't come through well. Mostly pencil with a couple of CP's

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Jan 2013 3:08 AM

Catherine, I'm confused about one, too.  It's difficult to tell what it is.

Jen, good job on the bottle and candle.  It would pop more if the background were darker. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Jan 2013 7:36 AM

Jen I forgot about the candle in the jar photo and your charcoal picture makes me want to go back and try that too. I think you did a good job with it.

Holly, Jen and Sam. I actually referred to the second photo Marsha posted. It shows more of the creek. I'm posting the sketch/watercolor I did of the creek with grasses and the tree and as you can see by the charcoal I strayed a bit and turned the creek into the path. It was just an exercise in options I guess.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,670
Kim513 wrote
on 5 Jan 2013 6:29 PM

Jen, some really nice highlights in your candle jar!

Catherine, both of your scenes turned out nicely - the contrast in the fist is super, and the 2nd one's added color makes it particularly special since it's kept nuetral to look natural. Love that crisp overhang of snow!

Kim T  (Kim513)

C&C welcome!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Jan 2013 7:19 PM

Catherine, it's easy to indentify the objects in this later version.  I like the snow-covered rocks on the edge of the water?  The grasses look good, too. 

Page 25 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  21 22 23 24 25 | RSS