ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 5:16 PM

Thank you Alex, Sam, Geri and Catherine, I enjoyed working on that one.   My husband thinks I should add a gecko, scorpion, and of course a Road Runner as we have so many of those around.   If I add more it will be like one of those pictures where you have to locate and circle all the animals and critters you can find...   again thank you....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 25 Dec 2012 4:50 AM

Sandi nice sketch hopefully you will get it finished and posted soon 

Marsha you do so very well with colored pencils this is great you managed to incorporate all of the animals without them taking over the scene

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 29 Dec 2012 3:00 PM

Winter Cardinal, Thought I'd do one more challenge, but I'm really outside my comfort zone on this one,however here it is 8x8.5 W/C 140# HP paper

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 29 Dec 2012 7:19 PM

Well, Fred, it looks like its just you and me this week.  I like how your did the cardinals beak with the hint of orange along the edge.  You indicate his wing feathers well.  I wondered why there is white space in front of him at the bottom and went back to the reference photo and see that it is a clump of snow there.  Maybe if you put some shading on the snow it would be easier to identify.  This is a nice watercolor of the cardinal.  Kudos to you for being welling to go out of your comfort zone.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 30 Dec 2012 9:52 AM

Hi Fred, good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone with a very nice portrayal of a cardinal! I love the way you captured the snowy evergreen background (which I think is very tricky to do well) - it's lovely.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 10:45 AM

You've really captured the feeling of snow! Very nice Fred. We are up to our ears in snow here in Ohio and I should take advantage of all this white stuff and learn how to paint it! 

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 6:24 PM

Great cardinal Fred. I like his eye looking right at you and agree with Alex that your snowy evergreen foliage is very good and his colouring is great.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 6:30 PM

Sammy,  my internet went down at my house.  I am on a friends computer right now...  I couldn't stay away from you guys....  heck its the end of the year...  can you believe it... coming to a close as is this December challenge.  I have soooo enjoyed the last two months and love the responses to the challenges... everyone was sooo amazing and incredible.   What fun. 

Fred  I adore your snowy Cardinal.  super job.   You are so talented I'm so happy you did some of the challenge things besides your own wonderful independent artistic pieces.  Your comfort zone is all encompassing   tee hee....

Catherine:  I have a friend who is a photographer and she lives in Minn.  she just today sent me some great pictures that she wet out and took.   I will post some of them some day as she has given me permission to paint or post her stuff.  its beautiful...    so be encouraged to take some snowy pictures...since you are up to your eyeballs . 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,396
Points 22,525
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 7:55 PM

Nice job Fred. You have the feather pattern and the eye well done.  You get the eye wrong and the whole picture looks funny.  You have done well.  We have a fair amount of snow here and that brings out the cardinals to the feeder we had ten at the back feeder and a few more out front.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 31 Dec 2012 10:11 AM

Hi Marsha,

Although I’m hoping to complete another one of your December images by tomorrow, here is my candidate for “ermine.” It is 2-1/2” x 3-1/2” on Acquarello 140# hot-pressed paper, executed in Cretacolor watercolor pencils. After realizing that my light pencil marks showing major positions were popping out in both photos and scans (though I couldn’t see them with the naked eye), I tried my rough sketch on this one in light blue pencil and it seemed to be much less conspicuous.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 31 Dec 2012 10:28 AM

Aww, Alex, you have such a wonderful sense of color and delightful approach to your subjects.  This is so very adorable.  It wonderful how you kept his outline distinct in this white on white paintings.  I like the brown branches and the way one flows under him to eliminate the problem of the color of his shadow.  It's also amazing that you can work so much detail on such a tiny support.  I would have to wear magnifying glasses to see what I was doing.  This is an excellent little miniature.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 915
Points 13,235
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 10:43 AM

Oh Alex, I love your little ermine, your colouring is wonderful. I actually had an ermine in my back yard yesterday. It spent considerable time getting up enough nerve to venture out of the rock ledge crevices, and they do actually have the pink nose, ears and toes. Love your colours that are like our early morning light.in the snow.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,396
Points 22,525
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 11:48 AM

Neat little ermine you have here.  I love the way you used pink and a touch of yellow from the early morning sun.  I got a little 2" square canvas with an easel for Christmas and have been wondering what to put on it.  Maybe he will be the one.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 1:56 PM

Well I see Fred jumped back in with a beautiful cardinal painting good to see him around once in a while

Alex this little ermine drawing is gorgeous gotta love the reds and yellows this is how whites should be done

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 3:36 PM

OH Alex,  your little ermine is adorable,,,,  he looks so curious... I love the colors and the softness which is your own characteristic,  I would like to think you could save this one for the christmas cards next year as well.   Super Supper job....  I love the pastels in the snow...

Bonnie:   Get your camera out and get some pictures....  you live in just the right spot for some great camera work.... then share with us...   tee hee..

I used to have a road runner living in my back yard but he left a couple of years ago.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Page 22 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  20 21 22 23 24  Next >  ... Last » | RSS