ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 21 Dec 2012 7:33 AM

Sam, I love your rosy face Santa, he is just a perfect Santa. I used Canson Pastel paper, white with Glassine Inserts 9X12, 98lb. 

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 21 Dec 2012 9:27 AM

Marsha, Catherine and Bonnie, thank you for the kind comments on my Santa.  I'm still working on the beard and learning a lot while doing it.  Have a good weekend, everyone.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 21 Dec 2012 7:58 PM

Well, here it is. I've never done reflections in water and I should have only painted part of it instead of the whole image. But, that's what it's all about..challenging yourself. I'm going to do another one only a real minimal image as I think there is just too much going on in the photo picture. I need to put more limbs on the trees and just for the practice I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 5:16 AM

Ok. Finished as far as finished is going to get. I need to work on a few skills and also learn to not try tiny work at 5 in the a.m. as some of my fingers are usually asleep or numb until I take my meds.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,505
jm7445 wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 7:28 AM

Catherine your reflection show a blistery winter day, beautifully done.Wink

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,002
Points 14,585
B.J. Bailey wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 7:32 AM

Catherine, your reflections are right on, I made an attempt of this picture and had the reflections leaning the wrong way, Your colour is also good, it is difficult to illustrate the water and the ice. Is this watercolour? You have also captured the feel of a park.

Bonnie   C & C most welcome / appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 8:38 AM

Thank you B. J. and Bonnie! Yes, this is watercolor. It was hard because there were no shadows in the photo and I was trying to add some light to my painting.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 22 Dec 2012 9:14 AM

Catherine, you did a great job on this little monochromatic scene.  The reflections and shadows are good.  I do have two tiny little suggestions.  The biggest tree should have longer branches considering the size of the trunk unless somebody pruned it.  This looks like you tried to squeeze the branches to fit onto the paper size and they would look much more natural if they simply ran off of the paper.  Also, the background trees would look more natural if there were some different sizes ( some tall, some short) and if the spacing between trees was more irregular and if there was more overlapping.  I often paint a group of trees and then step back and notice that they are lined up like soldiers.  I find it to be difficult to break that habit.

I like that the bridge is green while everything else is in neutral tones.  Don't let my critique discourage you because this is very well done and charming painting.  It's amazing how many paintings you've produced and how well you do them.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 10:36 AM

I appreciate your input Sam that's why I do the challenges. I need the input from everyone and also to show my progress good or bad. Yeah, the trees are a hot mess and I'd like to do it again. Maybe just do mass of shapes and colors.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 10:39 AM

Bonnie you have done a very nice painting ,your ermine looks great

Catherine I sure like this scene I'm a fan of the monochromatic limited pallette this is all of that

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 11:01 AM

Thank you Jim. Sam was worried about giving me advice but my art education consists of my instruction books and everyone here. If anyone asks me if I went to school for art I'll answer them "yes, I went to the Artists Daily school".This is a good place to learn.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 22 Dec 2012 11:41 AM

Catherine, people who are open to suggestions are the people who learn.  And you are learning by leaps and bounds.  Of course,  you know, you don't have to take every suggestion, just those that work for you.

I've been taught that a humble person is a person who is teachable.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 2:51 PM

Catherine,  what a pretty painting.  One of the reasons I chose this pictures is because it doesn't have shadows it is a cold overcast day.  but the life is the reflections in the water.  you have captured that well.  I can't really tell about the white snow as your camera keep making everything sepia tone.  Sam gave some good suggestions.  I would suggest you step back and look at the back ground of the original picture then check yours out.  I realize that the original has no leaves but that makes it for stick-y trees,,,  (just a little pun).   they all sort of blend into stick like bushes but the do have an up and down to them. 

great job though,  I like the bridge a lot and the reflections are great.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,587
Points 25,545
Berkenstock wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 7:21 PM

Catherine if you want to know how to paint tree limbs go outside and study the way they grow. and branch out.  Once you figured that out the battle is half won.  The secret to drawing or painting for that matter is learning to see.  Sounds easy doesn't it but I know that I am learning more all the time and maybe before I die I might come close to mastering it.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 23 Dec 2012 5:52 AM

Thanks for your suggestion Geri and yes, learning to "see" is an absolute must. I'm going to do this photo again only this time using the second photo of the same bridge that Marsha posted a week or so ago. The February 2013 issue of  Watercolor Aritist magazine has a section called Watercolor Essentials and this article is focused on the effective use of space and dividing the picture plane. It's written by Mark Mehaffey. I'm going to do a relook of both of the bridge photos and chage the horizon line and take out some of the interests then put together a second watercolor of it. It may be a few days as I have family coming today for an early Christmas with dinner and gifts, then I work on Monday and then the 25th I have another round of dinner and family with gifts. Maybe I can sqeeze in a value sketch at some point. lol

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 20 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  18 19 20 21 22  Next >  ... Last » | RSS