ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 7 Dec 2012 2:33 PM

Marsha, don't laugh but I too thought you posted the original photo of the wooden Santa as your drawing by mistake and had to go back and look at it to assure myself that that was a drawing! Wow.

Marsha, Jen, and Catherine, wonderful hands in various stages of development, and each drawing is very distinctly the artist's own. You are all brave!

Finally finished the Madonna and Child, and learned quite a bit along the way. Critiques and criticism are very welcome, as I always learn a lot from all the comments on everyone’s drawings. I do have a pretty pronounced tremor in my hands, so if you wonder why the pen-and-ink part of it is wobbly, that is the reason.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 2:49 PM

Alex this is just beautiful! The blue and light purple give it a feeling of elegance and majestry. Her face is so gentle and loving. I really like this. Regardless of why your lines are they way they are, the look is very unique and reminds me of a stained glass window with the sun shining through it.

Thank you for the encouragment on the hand sketch. I'm probably not going to attempt that media picture again this month. I need more practice.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 7 Dec 2012 3:18 PM

Alex, thank you so much for retiring and coming back to us.  It is always a pleasure and joy to view your work. Your Madonna and Child is charming and delightful  You have a knack for mixing colors so well and applying them in such a loose, spontaneous and impressionistic manner.  This painting glows in the manner of the gem it is.  The simplicity of it is beautiful.  Bravo!

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 3:46 PM
Catherine, great job on the hands sketch. You have captured the gesture well with the weight of the hand pushing the dough AND you got the bowl right. I am so envious! Well done! I have to take up where James left off I think Marsha won hands down in the hands challenge!! :)

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 3:48 PM
Alex, this is really lovely. The lines just add to the character of the painting and don't detract at all. I agree is does have the look of stained glass. Beautiful.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 7 Dec 2012 3:52 PM

Ooooops, forgot a line on the arm - this makes is look a little better (looks like her arm is 6" LONG INSTEAD OF 3" LONG!).

Alex

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 4:45 PM

Alex, This is so beautiful, my heart and mind went silent when I viewed it. So very beautiful. Is this for sale, what is the size? So beautiful. Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 7 Dec 2012 4:56 PM

Catherine, Jen, Sam, and Susan, thank you so much for all the lovely things you said about the Madonna and child. Even though we're a couple of problems I learned from for next time, I'm so moved that you liked it.

Susan, it is 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" and is on sale on eBay (my great experiment). This is my second piece on eBay. When someone bid 99 cents on my first one, i was beside myself that someone wanted to buy my art! If you search for "ACEO Original Christmas Madonna and Child" you will find it.

PS the first one ultimately sold for $4.25. When my son found out how much it sold for that made me so excited, he said, "Mom. Don't tell me any more. It's too painful!"

:-D

Alex

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 7 Dec 2012 5:10 PM

Alex, yikes Indifferent $4.25.  You didn't ask for my opinion but I'm going to give it anyhow.  Take that gem off of eBay and sell it for what it's worth.   Don't sell yourself short.

A tiny painting like that looks great with a bigger mat.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 5:22 PM

Sam:  Thank you so much for your time to look up things for me.   I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  your a doll.  

I will get a shaper and a few other items and start OP in the new year.    That will be my Christmas present.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 7 Dec 2012 5:27 PM

Sam, your comments are always welcome and always spot on. This piece - my second one - is priced to start at $14.99. I really just wanted to see if anyone would buy my work. Thank you for your comments and also for the info you gave in the other thread about using standard sizes, etc. I'm soaking all of this in like a sponge!

I'm working on a portrait of my granddaughter for Christmas and have already decided that if I get any requests from her friends' families for similar portraits, they will be priced appropriately! :-)

Thanks again for the tremendous validation. In the world of PR, I know what I'm worth, but as a novice artst, that certainty isn't there, so your comments are very helpful.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 5:28 PM

Alex:  Your Madonna and Child is soooo amazing.   I just love it.   I can't add any words to what everyone else has so elequently already said all I can say is ditto ditto.   and Sam is right   DO NOT SELL IT ON EBAY...!   there are other places on line that you can post your art for sail and put a price on it.   I'm sure someone here can help give you suggestions to where to post it.  I recently ran into a lady at Aaron's Art Mart that had just purchased a painting on line and was getting it framed,  she paid 75.00 for it it was about 12 x 12 and she was paying over 100.00 to get it framed....  yours is so beautiful, and the lines give it the perfect right characteristic that makes it yours... 

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,932
Points 49,230
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 5:30 PM
Alex I would totally agree with Sammy, but maybe you live in an area like me where there is not a good place to sell your art. People here just are not that interested. So if someone on eBay actually likes it enough to pay cash that feels good. I usually give my stuff away or it just sits in the closet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 6:05 PM

I want to thank everyone for their kind remarks about my Santa and Hand..  but first I would like to tell you how much I owe to this forum for helping me find my artistic ability.  I started out afraid to post but was encouraged and each time my mistakes were pointed out,  I grew  and now I am always aware of those lessons when I start a piece.  So, Everyone keep posting and learning you are all amazing artists....and amazing friends  

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 6:13 PM

Jen and Catherine:   great minds do think alike.   Both of your sketches are great.   It is a difficult challenge please keep trying.   It is called a "challenge".  I'm glad you liked the photo enough to tackle it.   I want to encourage you to not quit.  you've got the sketch down now look at the actual hand in the picture and look at the shading and the little details of coloring and lines.  After you have the shape then you start just looking at the details and as you go you will keep finding more and more little details to add.   keep at it....   please

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Page 7 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS