ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 6:14 PM

Thank you all so much. Catherine, that was funny. 

Sandi, thank you so much, but it didn't use Oil Pastel it was more like chalk pastel.   I got a set of Faber-Castell Pitt Pastel pencils. and some Conte pencils.   They are fun, but totally different to use.   I decided to get them rather than the bulky pastels.  The pencils don't give out much dust like the bulky ones do and I was trying not to get anything dusty due to my only having one lung.  I found some Pentel and Grumbacher oil pastels in my husbands old stuff in the garage,  I used them to do the Nativity which I did as a scratch out.  I watched Sam's Rose instruction in Oil Pastel on WC and enjoyed it and now I am spurred to get into OP, but I need to get a few more things like a color shaper and the sanded paper or gesso and pumice as well as some acrylic paints before I start.   Its a whole new set of supplies...  hmmmm  another cabinet....   oh what you nice talented folks are doing to me....

HO hO ho to all....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 6:41 PM

Last night was sleepless again.   I am feeling better from this flu...  so I took my mind off of things and started drawing,   I ended up diving into this most of the night....   Then I slept until noon today....  duh...~!

This is graphite pencils on Strathmore Bristol velum smooth side 5x4 on 6.5 x 9 paper.   

I call it Making cookies for Santa.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 6 Dec 2012 7:27 PM

Marsha, anyone who has ever tried to draw a hand, knows that it is not easy.  It may be the most difficult subject to draw. Having said that, I am impressed with this hand. It looks super.  Check your drawing against the reference photo and see if the little finger and ring finger are too thin.  Otherwise, this is an excellent drawing.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,380
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 7:49 PM

Marsha wow you are just full of surprises.  It seems like every thing you post just keeps getting better and better.  I see you had a little trouble with the pinky finger on your hand but it still is a wonderful drawing.  Your little figurine was very good and your wooden Santa I too had to look twice to make sure it wasn't the photo posted by mistake. I thought that it had too sharp a detail to be oil pastels and the shine of the wood was great.Yes Yes

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,380
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 8:00 PM

Welcome Suzette and Jordan.  I loved Suzette's banjo player.  Reminds me of when we used to go to the folk festivals in Mountain Home Arkansas and watch them play and jig on the court house steps.  Neat stuff.  Jorden you have no reason not to like your candle in the bottle.  Very good sir

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,380
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 8:05 PM

I love your little miniature Alex.  It is very well done with its soft focus feel.  Good work

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 6 Dec 2012 9:13 PM

Thank you for the critique on the graphite hands,   as I said I was up all night,  I looked at it and you guys were spot on,  I have made the corrections...   plus a couple more.   so here is the "rewrite" so to speak....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,961
Points 49,750
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 12:35 AM

Jordan, welcome to the forum. Your jar is very well done and I agree you need to frame it!

Suzette, welocme too! I look forward to seeing you interpretation of your animal world.

Alexandra, i love your little painting of Mother and Child and their sweet expressions. Lovely.

Marsha, WOW!! your wooden man looks really woody and is an excellent pastel painting. You have really got the hang of them! And as for those hand well another Wow. Hands are really difficult and you have made them look real. great job.

I started the hands and dough today at art class but did not get very far and they need a lot more work. I don't have Marsha's skill but it is a great challenge! the bowl is the first thing that is driving me nuts not to mention the hands themselces but here is the start about half and hour. I have been busy with various doctor visits and working on my card then tonight the Christmas letter so not had much time.

Hmm not so good to directly under Marsha's brilliant work!!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 4:43 AM

I did this gesture this morning around 5 a.m. My focus was on the pushing gesture of the left arm and the lightness of the right hand. I won't do anymore to this but will do another one with the same focus and maybe next time more detail of the hands.This is on sketch paper and is aprox. 10 x10 in.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 6:24 AM

I have [forgive me for this] to give Marsha ,Jen and Catherine a big hand

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 6:27 AM

Marsha, Wow!- You are a natural born, brilliant artist. Everything you picked up seems effortless and artistic. The hand is perfect with only a little adjustment. Well done.

Jen and Catherine- You guys have a good start, keep at it. Your piece will come out perfect too. Funny, great minds seem to think alike (is that how they say it?). All of a sudden everyone jumps on the same band wagon, actually it's the Hand.Smile

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 7 Dec 2012 12:47 PM

Jan and Catherine, you both have a good start on a very tough subject.  Good luck with those hand paintings.  Congratulations for being brave enough to tackle this subject.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 7 Dec 2012 12:48 PM

Marsha, your adjustments to the cookie-making hand is definitely an improvement.  Excellent job on that hand.

Sorry that you were up all night.  Could it be medication you are taking for your illness that has kept you awake.  Happy sleeping tonight.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 197
Points 3,840
asusanrae wrote
on 7 Dec 2012 1:35 PM

Sandi   Your cardinal is so beautifully done, hopefully you frame it. ;o)

Marsha   Not to many including myself can draw hands, very impressive and so professional, I'm nOT posting mine, mostly if its close to yours. ;o)

Jen  and C Brown   I have no idea how you can draw hands around dough so well, you have encouraged me to try to sketch it this weekend, but only if I need a BIG challenge in my life.

I'm sending Christmas cards out this afternoon, I have Sammy's, Jen's, Marsha's, Sandi's, Joyce's, Cathererine and Holly's address, if you would like to have one from me, let me know your address. Thank you  and Merry Christmas to all of you. Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 7 Dec 2012 1:41 PM

Susan,  I was wishing that I had Holly's address.  Would you send it to me via private Conversations?  Thanks

Page 6 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS