ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:13 PM

Christine:    come on I dare you...... tee hee.... go gal....!!

Sammy:   I am so happy the gel worked for you.   Thank you for your suggestions.   I will look into them....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:20 PM

what about Conte a' paris  pastels?

I got some Faber Castell Pitt pastel pencils,   but what to do ????? with them....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 3 Dec 2012 8:25 PM

Hi Sandi, well, I’ve taken pencil to paper!  Today I blocked out a 2-1/2” x 3-1/2” drawing of a detail of the nativity scene Marsha posted and will execute it in watercolor pencil and possibly gouache (sketch below). Although I’ve been consumed with a consulting project for the last month, I hope to finish this tomorrow or the next day. Also, I took my Christmas cards to all of you out of the mail and redid them with a different drawing because my polar bear colors just wouldn’t print well. (Of course, part of not printing well was due to not using bright white paper—thank you, Sam, for your tip on that!)

Catherine! Did you know your cardinal is on the home page of Artist Daily in a rotating box on the upper left side??? Way to go!!!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:40 PM
CATHERINE, you multiple birds are great! You are on a roll indeed! Love the loose WC. MARSHA, the scratch board painting is lovely and the scratching really gives it dimension. The second is really lovely too and you have captured the shine well. Yes faces that small are almost impossible you did a great job!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:43 PM
Fred, nice work on the snow scene. You did the snow well and the tree recede. I love the sky colours. You are as inspired with conventional as well as your bears!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,854
Points 47,610
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:46 PM
Alexander, looking forward to seeing what you do with this very nice sketch. Glad you are getting back on track! I am having a problem with colour on my bear card too and I went and got the bright white card too. I get it right on photoshop but when I put it into Word it changes. I will try again tomorrow.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 3 Dec 2012 8:49 PM

Fred, there's more to you than meets the bear eye! Seriously, the bristle pine painting is lovely, soft colors and an impressionist approach.

Carherine, you completely captured the wooden Santa and the water wash was very effective. LOTS of personality and expression!

Marsha, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. On the OP front, I use Holbeins too and love them.

Alex

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 9:35 PM

Sam, I went into the garage tonight to get out some Christmas ornaments and found some of my husbands old art stuff from years ago and I found two boxes of oil pastels,   never used... brand new...  one is Grumbacher, the other is Pentel oil pastels.... really old, with cheap prices.  anyone know anything about these?   I found some tubes of acrylic and all kinds of things...  Merry Christmas Marsha!!!!    

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,044
Points 46,320
on 3 Dec 2012 9:46 PM

Marsha, a treasure trove in the garage! Good for you! I bet those same supplies are a lot more expensive now!

Alex

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 Dec 2012 10:25 PM

Alex, how clever of you to zero in on the mother and child.  The drawing is excellent.  I'm eager to see the finished product.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 10:00 AM

Hi All- Sammy's demo on a rose is legendary among OP artists at the time,. If you can get her instruction, keep it or if not try to get it. I learned to paint flowers by watching her and also from her instructive comments.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 57
Points 840
jrdn wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 8:56 AM

Hi everyone, I've wanted to participate in these threads for a while, I've always enjoyed looking through them.

Here's my attempt at the bottle, I got sort of frustrated with this and it was late, so I haphazardly painted a lot of it (hence the bad lines for the screen and the scratchy bottle), I realized halfway through the the reference photo has pretty difficult lighting (at least for me). It was fun though! I think I might try to tackle the squirrel or one of the landscapes next, is it OK to do more than one per month? Hope everyone is having a nice December.

9x12" Acrylic on board...sorry for the photo quality, just using a cell phone camera

-Jordan

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 53
Points 780
suzgriffon wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 9:44 AM

Hello, Everyone.  I've been lurking and looking at all of your challenges for the past couple of months, and two of the photos this month have inspired me.  I will post when I have something done. Until then, Cheers to you all! 

Suzette Vida

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Dec 2012 10:58 AM

Jordan, welcome aboard.  It is always delightful to have new people join us.  I looked at your bio page and must agree with your statement, "Art is hard."  That it is.  There is a lot to learn and you've come to the right place. 

You did a good job with the candle in the bottle.  It definitely looks like glass since you used bright white highlights and nice darks.  Most new artists are afraid of the darks and paint everything in middle values.  Your values on the bottle are good.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Suzette, welcome aboard to you, also.  I looked at your bio and am envious of your position as park ranger.  What an interesting job.  I also looked at your posted paintings and have to tell you that the owl is wonderful.  Is it a Great Horned Owl?  You will probably be posting lots of nature and wildlife paintings.  Can't wait to see them.   

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 2:14 PM

JRDN:   I would hang this on my wall any day.   I love it.  I was surely hoping someone would tackle this one and you did an outstanding job.     What is your name? and welcome to our little neck of the woods.    

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Page 4 of 25 (370 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS