ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE - DECEMBER 2012 #26

This post has 369 Replies | 16 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 9:51 PM

Thank you everyone,   Sandi, Sam was correct,  I put all of the pastel colors down first then cover the whole piece in black pastel.   then scratch out the picture.  

this piece is a wc again on 4x6 fabriano card paper.   4x6 is really small for me to do well with faces.   but the idea is there.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 2 Dec 2012 10:25 PM

Yes, Marsha, the idea is certainly there. It is extremely difficult to do faces that small and you did a good job. The fabric looks good and so does the donkey. You captured the sheen of the porcelain. Nice work on that doily under the figurine and great colors in the background.  You have good control of watercolor.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 10:20 AM

Marsha- This piece is very pleasant to look at, it's bright and beautiful. Agreed with Sammy that you captured the characteristic of the porcelain well. Also love the doily and the donkey too.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,004
Points 45,750
on 3 Dec 2012 11:24 AM

Sandi, your male cardinal is very dashing, and I like the counterpoint that the pink/lavender blossoms give the painting.

Catherine, your “unfettered” style on the two cardinal pieces is great—clearly it worked. I especially admire your branches, as they are something I’ve had a lot of trouble portraying.

Marsha, two very interesting treatments of the nativity scene. The scratch drawing is an approach not too commonly seen with OPs but it is very attractive and interesting. (If I'm not mistaken, Bob in SF does a lot of beautiful scratchwork as well). A scratch approach is very unforgiving, so kudos to you for taking that risk. The more traditional watercolor is lovely as well, and I agree with Sam about the doily! Wow.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 11:48 AM

Marsha both paintings are very nice really interesting on the scratch method I have seen one or two fromSam a year or so ago but thats all sure a nice option

Sandi ,you have put a ton of useful information into one paragraph thank you so very much     

James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:43 PM

Thank you Marsha for the Dec challenge photos,thought I'd try something conventional for a change and decided to start with the Bristle Pine with minor changes  11x14 limited palette using white, raw sienna and cobalt blue

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:52 PM

Fred ,This is worth framing beautiful sky                     James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:55 PM

Fred-Wow! - Love your impressionistic style of the Bristle Pines very much. I know you are very good with painting snow and sky too. This is fantastic. Like to see more of your serious style painting.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 4:08 PM

Alex- Thank you, glad to see you back with us. Picking up your brushes yet?

James- You are welcome. Feel free to ask question if you need to find out more. I used to participate in the OP forum there and they have a challenge on a monthly basis. It was fun but I have been getting busy with other stuffs so once in awhile I will pop in there.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2012 4:18 PM

Fred, beautiful painting of the Bristle Pines.  It looks very cold and wintry.  Real nice, loose, impressionistic style.  It's good to see your serious side.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 5:42 PM

FRED:   Oh wow!...  that is beautiful.   It feels like you have been to see the bristle pines before.  The photo I took was one of many,  when you are walking through them they look like a bunch of people waving their arms or some of them are bending over.   especially at dusk or sunrise...  You did a great job,  I can see the ski slopes on Mt Charleston.   I love your color selection.   I might add that there are a lot of red rock formations on and around Mt Charleston as well so feel free.....  

Sandi:  I am taking your advise.   I think I will purchase a few Sennies (spelling) to start with.  I think Jen mentioned Rembrants one time.    I belong to Wet Canvas but I don't like moving around in it...  much toooo confusing....  To bad we can't start our own type of OP lessons right here on Artist Daily...  hmmmm. something to think about for next year.

I have these pastels but how do you get sharp thin lines???? for details.

To ALL:  thank you for your compliments.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 5:46 PM

The newest challenge entries are just beautiful everyone!yone! I did a fast gel pen of the wooden man today around 4:30. I decided to try a brush full of water on him after I got home and I kind of like the look.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,245
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 6:59 PM

Christine:  Great Job!!!    his eyes are dancing....  I like the color effect although I still don't know if it is your camera or the read deal....

I started working on the same thing but my throat is so sore I can't deal with painting right now.... 

I'm glad you like the reference photos.    Try the hands..... you can do it....  you go girl...!

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 7:13 PM

I'm sorry you're sick Marsha. I hope you feel better soon. It's the camera but I like the tannish color it makes lol. It's on white paper. I need to figure out this camera one of these days.

Hands?? Did you say the H word? I've been looking at the picture and wondering if I could do them. I should at least try them.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 3 Dec 2012 7:19 PM

Catherine, great Santa.  I agree with Marsha that the eyes are alive.  You captured his expression.

Marsha, my preference in oil pastels is Holbein.  I have a set of Caran d'Ache which is the firmest of all that I've tried and, as Sandi said, the Sennelier are very soft and good for finishing or for mixing with the more firm OPs.  The Holbeins are neither too firm nor too soft and have five values of each color ranging from very light to very dark.  They are square rather than round providing you with the pointed corners for detail work.  Enjoy experimenting with OPs.  I did a step-by-step demo of a rose that can be found in the Wet Canvas WIP section.

To answer your other question, the Voltaren Gel has done wonders on my back and hand.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 3 of 25 (370 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS