Oil Painting

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 210
disdasp wrote
on 23 Nov 2012 10:38 AM

I finished an oil painting a year ago, but I'm not quite satisfy.

How  can I paint over it?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,965
Jay Babina wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 12:13 PM

A year is pretty young. What did you paint it on? For example: I paint on boards a lot and I would lightly sand a year old painting to give it some tooth or go over it with a scotch bright pad. On canvas. you can't do those things as easily.  But a year old painting, I might just paint right on it. Did you varnish it or is it raw. If you varnished it, you should sand it. By sanding I mean 30 seconds with a very fine sandpaper just biting into the varnish but not attacking the image in any way.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
zackjohn wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 3:42 AM

hey being a painter i can say that to enhance your skills use some kind of texture with oil painting like coconut fiber, Air brush, palette knife. it looks very beautiful and your painting will become alive.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Bev Bunker wrote
on 12 Dec 2012 12:29 PM

Hi Sue..it's not really recommended to paint over an old oil painting. However what you can do with it if it is not varnished, is to give it a coat or even two coats of titanium white paint (oil), letting each layer dry completely in between. If the paint is thick you might need to sand it down as others have mentioned. I personally have never sanded oil paint, so I cannot tell you how well this works. What I do also is take the old painting off the stretcher bars and restretch a new piece of canvas over them and begin anew.

You can of course, continue to repaint the image you already have on there as fresh paint is going to cover the old paint anyhow. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
JimLyle wrote
on 17 Dec 2012 11:37 PM

To repaint a dry canvas - gently sand area with steel wool or fine sand paper (takes off some paint & roughens surface a little); moisten surface to be repainted with some medium on a clean, lint-free paint rag; then paint over;  don't be too careful when repainting, be spontaneous, don't leave sharp edges

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 480
peterrsergen wrote
on 29 Mar 2013 2:50 AM

It's absolutely possible that no matter you can repaint your oil painting but, first of all make sure there is no greece or dust on that painting. If you have use intense colors for your painting so, consider layer for painting and let it dry completely. After this process now, you can start again your oil painting.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS