Challenge #25 - November 2012

This post has 245 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,967
Points 49,825
Turps245 wrote
on 28 Nov 2012 11:06 PM

James, Good to see your take on the challenge. I would feel a bit sea sick in that boat but I love your vibrant colours!!

Aletha, I am glad you joined us. Great ball point pen sketches.It  just shows that drawing is all about accurate observation and value and it doesn't matter what you use to get there. Nice work! I enjoy sketching too but probably wouldn't have your corage to use ball point. My teacher said every painting or sketch does not have to be prescious that practice and making mistakes teashes you best. Hope you post more of your work and advice.

JM7445  Welcome. Your sketches are delightful. I love the bear! Hope you join us some more. Do you have a name you would like us to call you?

Geri, Hope you had a good time in Conway. Hope you can make your was to NW Arkansas to See Crystal Bridges some time. It has wonderful American art and some beautiful grounds to walk and sketch in.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 6:05 AM

Hello Aletha and JM7445

Aletha you are so correct. Drawing of a drawing and then even another drawing of it has helped me to learn my bad habits, lack of understanding on composition and also how to begin learning the where and why of establishing light and dark values. The colors and light in the basket sketch looks so nice with the blue. Your pen work of the apples is very nice and would even  be worthy of a little mat and frame. I love seeing a person's drawings as much as I love to see their paintings.

JM I like your sketches also. I was going to paint the challenge photo of the door and wreath but just didn't for some reason or the other. I also think sketching is very important and like Aletha's work, yours also would be nice in a little mat and frame.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 135
AlethaK wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 11:24 AM

Hello to other challenge artists.

Just wanted to emphasize that the challenge drawing I made was hastily drawn, and I emphasize the "haste" because I want to encourage people to demystify some aspects of drawing in order to grow in drawing more readily.  When I first began drawing, I invested so much importance in each drawing and sometimes I'd get discouraged if drawings didn't turn out as I had hoped.  Now I draw all the time.  Some drawings are very careful ones, some are intended for sale, some are for my amusement, some are like notes to myself.  I make many different kinds of drawings that serve various purposes.  Another artist commenting above remarked that a ball point pen might be too intimidating to use since it isn't correctible, and I'm really glad she said that because I wasn't aware that the pen might seem to make drawing more scary.  I was mistaken in supposing that it makes drawing less scary! 

For me the beauty of the ball point pen is that it is just about the cheapest tool you can buy.  And yet it can be a very elegant tool.  Every school child has a few Bic Cristals stuck in the nether reaches of their backpacks.  And the paper you use is equally cheap and abundant.  I did the basket drawing and another little drawing that I'm posting today in a lined notebook that I got at Walmart or Target.  The paper is wonderfully smooth, has a pretty warmish tone and it costs a couple bucks.  So using paper like that for idle sketches, I totally let myself go.  I don't concern myself with whether the drawing is "correct" or not.  Instead I throw down lines that represent my visual thoughts of the moment.  And through a lot of drawing in which you attempt to be as exacting as you can, while at the same time letting yourself make whatever "mistakes" that you could not prevent yourself making, you are able to simply go forward and learn.  Through a lot of drawing, rethinking, re-observing things, reattempting to draw things, you gain fluency and increased confidence.

The use of a ball point pen can be a "serious" matter -- or it can be a carefree whimsical "these are cheap materials and I can do what I please" sort of thing.  I chose to make of it the latter.

Still thinking about the basket still life challenge here, late at night last night right before going to bed (which can be an excellent time to draw because sometimes you're too tired to care how things turn out), I drew part of a detail -- got that?  part of a part! -- of a similar subject in a book I have on the Italian early Baroque painter Caravaggio.  In the detail below notice the apple below some red grapes?  I drew that apple when I was barely able to keep my eyes open and the hesitant results are posted above.  I will be attempting to copy aspects of the Caravaggio detail again, but I post this now simply to make the point that ....

the knowledge of what something looks like is knowledge that you acquire over time.  The Caravaggio will be hard for me to draw even though I've been drawing for over 30 years.  But I don't care.  The difficulty doesn't disturb me because I know that the mistakes I make are just steps along a path of increasing ability. 

Plus it is fun.  Let yourself enjoy as much of drawing as you can.  Give yourself permission to make lots of "mistakes" and reattempt difficult subjects again and again because they are often the most wonderful for holding your attention, and with each revisiting of a difficult theme you can applaud yourself for your bravery if nothing else!  Plus the time spent looking at beautiful things is a useful end in itself.  Some of the richness of that beauty gets planted inside one's head to take root later on ....

The Caravaggio painting from which I posted the detail above can be seen in full at wikipedia; search on Caravaggio "Boy with a Basket of Fruit."

Some of my work can be seen at blog http://alethakuschan.wordpress.com/ 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 11:59 AM

AlethaK- Welcome to the group. I like your basket drawings and your advice to drawings even though I am not into drawing at all. When I paint, I may be sketching either with pencils or with paints and go on from there. I took some classes at Wetcanvas just to gain confidence that I could do it if I have to. Keep posting your work, it's fun to have new faces and new ideas.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 12:42 PM

JM- Welcome back. Love all three of your drawings esp. the Door. It has such beautiful lines. Well done.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 7:39 PM

Alethea welcome to the group.  It will be nice to have a drawer with the group.  I can always use some pointers.i like to sketch with ball point too.  Mostly in my sketchbook.  I usually use black ink but I have used blue, green, and red.  The black just do give more intense shadows.  I agree with you that most people don't like ink is you can't undo your mistakes.  You just learn to work with your mistakes an usually no one notices.  I also like to make one line drawings with a ballpoint.  You just start drawing and never lift your pen off of the paper.  Its a fun way to do sketches and you will surprise yourself what you can do.

Fred I checked out your new book.  As always a job well done.  Do yo sell many of your books?

I have been carving a turkey feather out of white cedar.  This is the fourth one that I have done.  It is going up as a prize at our Christmas shoot Sat. at our muzzle loader club.  I have everything done except the painting.  I will try and post a picture of it.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 7:44 PM

JM nice drawings.  Some people don't care much for drawings but I find them fascinating.  I am a big Dürer fan especially his rabbit drawing.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Nov 2012 7:11 AM

Geri,  I thought the higgins ink would be water and smudge proof as well.   nope

AlethaK:  I love your ink work and hatching and values.   I checked out your blog it was very enlightening.  I like the way you look at things figuratively as well as literally.

Jim7445:   how really nice your drawings are I to especially like the Door even though I am partial to Santa....   I look forward to seeing more of your work.  I hope you stick around with us...

Christine:  you can still do the Door picture just post it onto the December Challenge, I will have some winter and Christmas stuff on it as well.  I've already posted it I am just waiting for Holly to approve it. 

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 4:34 PM

Thanks Joyce

Welcome Aletha very well done set of drawings

Welcome back JM a great triplet of sketchs

James

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 3 Dec 2012 2:06 PM

Joyce, your Christmas card arrived today and I think it is so cute.  Your painting of the polar bear is wonderful.  I'm going to save and treasure all these cards.  Thank you.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:43 PM

I received mine today too and going to save mine All my cards as well.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 3:47 PM

Joyce- I received your too. Thank you, hope you have received mine, I mailed it early sometime last week.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 7 Dec 2012 3:19 PM

Sandi, you card arrived today and is sooo pretty.  Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Dec 2012 3:44 PM

Sammy- I received your yesterday. Beautiful both inside and out. Love the way you scribbled your wishes. Very original, Thank you very much.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 11 Dec 2012 7:57 AM

Susan, your card arrived yesterday.  Very cute.  I never gave any thought to what Christmas would be like under the sea.  Now I know.

All the cards I've received so far are made very professionally.  They are the treasures that I expected them to be.  Thanks to all of you.

Page 14 of 17 (246 items) « First ...  < Previous  12 13 14 15 16  Next >  ... Last » | RSS