Challenge #25 - November 2012

This post has 245 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,521
Points 24,405
Berkenstock wrote
on 23 Nov 2012 1:55 PM

Thank you all for the kind words on my drawing. 

Jen we are down here in Conway  I went to the Arkansas Art Center thia am. while they are fixing our day late Thanksgiving dinner.  The art center was great and has grown alot since I was last there(1976 )  If you are ever in Little rock and have time you need to stop by you will need at least 2 hours.

Sorry about posting this in the challenge instead of chatter

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 24 Nov 2012 11:08 AM

This is great Geri! I bet she loved it!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 1:19 PM

Fishermans Dawn

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 25 Nov 2012 3:36 PM

James- Nice sky and sea but sorry to say I do not see any relation to the Challenge. I think you must have accidentally put it in here instead of the Chatter. It can happen.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 25 Nov 2012 3:52 PM

James, what medium did you use?  These are certainly beautiful and vivid colors.  It looks like a rough sea.  Nice sky.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 2:08 PM

To answer Sam this is acrylic on wood 24 x 16 , in answer to Sandi I went back to page one and rechecked , i thought that an Image of a Biblical scene from my imagination would be OK for this months challenge I took a complete departure as Sam said  in the first paragraph from the photos if I misunderstood this option please feel free to correct me     Thank you both for your nice  comments              James

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 3:29 PM

James- Pardon me, you are right. The catch word is "Complete departure" and I didn't even notice that. Your Biblical theme should also fit in with this month theme too. It is my ignorance. The point is for us to keep on painting and show it here. I am wrong and you can hit me with a wet noodle (is that what they say?).

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 4:22 PM

James:  nice colors and fog, water and sunrise.... I just went to see the movie "PI"  it reminds me of that,   its a very good movie.... and this is a very nice painting...

Geri:   Very nice pen and Ink,  I'm sure it was well received by your SIL.    I recently did a pen and for the September challenge and I used the wrong ink,  After I finished the whole scene and put on the Watercolor it all smeared I was really upset...  I even used the old fashioned ink pen...and higgins ink.  oh well we learn with our mistakes.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,521
Points 24,405
Berkenstock wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 4:43 PM

Wow Marsha I would have thought Higgins ink to be water proof.  I use Blicks brand of India ink and Hunts crow quill pen and have not had any trouble.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 26 Nov 2012 9:47 PM

Ths is to all who wish a card from me please send me your address, I am going on vacation soon I need to send out my cards ASP!!!!!

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 27 Nov 2012 1:11 PM

Marsha thank you very much I will have to watch for the movie

Sandi I hope you didn't think I was being critical of you in any way. I just wanted to make sure I like to stray from the set patterns as much as possible whenever I can         

James

Jim C&C welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 135
AlethaK wrote
on 28 Nov 2012 10:53 AM

Because you invited experienced artists as well as beginners I decided to participate.  I drew a version of the basket photo which I post below.  It reminds me of a copy in pen that I made recently of one of Van Gogh's early still lifes (which I copied from a book).  As with that copy (which follows the first image) I used ordinary ball point pens for my drawing.  In the "challenge" drawing I've actually used four colors of pen, all obtained at Staples, and for the Van Gogh copy I think I only used one, a very common-place Bic Cristal. 

I encountered a problem with the photo in that it seemed too symmetrical to me -- also in copying photographs one always needs to remember that the camera has less sensitivity to values than the eye so everything is exaggerated a little.  If it's an exaggeration that you like and which you enjoy manipulating, that is much more appealing than something that feels too generic.  Anyway, I decided to put a few extra things in the basket and to put it off center, I added a ledge.  None of these changes are exactly satisfactory for me.  But what the heck, it's a just fast, fun drawing. 

Here's my copy after Van Gogh for comparison.  Van Gogh used a lot of darks which the book reproduction had exaggerated even more.

My general advice to new artists is that sometimes it's helpful to draw a subject before you paint it, or even to draw a subject before you "draw it" -- by which I mean that the first drawing you attempt does not need to be definitive.  I have other projects I'm working on today and yet I made this drawing fast, for fun, because it seemed like it might be neat to participate in your group and because it reminded me of something I've already done (the Van Gogh copy).    Whenever you remind yourself that you're just making one drawing among many it removes pressure to invest too much importance in any specific part of the drawing.  Thus you can be more relaxed, more exploratory, you can correct things as you go, etc., all of which gestures are likely to get you better drawings over time.  Regarding the latter, I suggest too that in selecting a photo for your challenge drawing, it might be good also (when practicable) to revisit the motif using real things.  So, let's say you chose the basket; after drawing the photo of the basket, try setting up your own still life with a basket and do it from life too -- taking the things you learned from the 2 dimensional project into a drawing made from looking at actual stuff.  Just don't try this with the bear!  Unless he's in a cage ... at the zoo!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 28 Nov 2012 12:23 PM

Aletha, welcome to our little group.  We are alway pleased to view the art of new people.  Hopefully, you will post work here frequently.

Your rendering of the Van Gogh painting has a lot of sensitivity with subtle value changes and a nice play of lights and darks.  Very well done.

The one you did of the reference photo seems to have been more hurried and is very loose.  You are correct that the subject is too centered in the reference photo and you wisely adjusted that.  Your addition of leaves makes it more dynamic.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 28 Nov 2012 3:24 PM

SmileHi everyone it has been a while since I posted anything. I'm just adding my pencile drawings to the mix. I was tempted to do one in watercolor, but froze on time. Love everyones Christmas cards and entries. Alex I love your freedom with watercolors. So simple and defind.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 28 Nov 2012 3:38 PM

jm7445, welcome back.  These are three wonderfully loose drawings that capture the essence of all three subjects.  I particularly love the Santa.  Also, I like that you put snow on the little fir tree setting by the door with wreath.  Nice work.  Please drop in more often.

Page 13 of 17 (246 items) « First ...  < Previous  11 12 13 14 15  Next >  ... Last » | RSS