Pastel Dust

This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 68
Points 4,475
on 28 Oct 2012 1:41 PM

I have been painting in oils for many years, and have just recently begun painting consistently in pastels.  Love, love, love them..........however, am somewhat concerned about the pastel dust.  I cannot find too much information on this, but I do know while cleaning my studio the other day, I cleaned up an awfully lot of dust that evidently has sifted through the air.  Since I am breathing this as well.............can anyone talk to me about the dangers.....and also filtration systems, whether you have them, whether they are necessary, etc. 

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
pauldico wrote
on 8 Nov 2012 9:42 AM

In general its not good to inhale dust of any kind; but it cant be avoided in anything less than a sterile environment. Not all pastels are toxic, and some pastels are more toxic than others. Keeping a wet towel under your work, never blowing on your work, wearing a dust mask, and vacuuming your environment when you are done should be fine for anyone who isn't continually working in a cloud of pastel dust.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 66
Points 895
ivo55 wrote
on 1 Dec 2012 5:14 AM

Well,

it is a nice picture. There will be always dust.

I use the hoover all the time and wile I am drawing I suck everything.

It is difficult but you can get use to it.  

• Filed under:
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 535
Points 9,580
halsart wrote
on 6 Jun 2013 8:00 PM

Kathleen it's a lovely painting.  I painted with the dusties for many years however, I switched to oil pastels a couple of years ago.  There is a bit of a learning curve in getting a handle on the oilies.  Techniques are similar but different.

I had two Uncles die of white lung disease.  They worked in a pottery and didn't really worry about the dust.

Oil pastels use the same pigments and of course won't dust.  With dusties, anytime I bumped a frame, I would get dust on the mat or glazing.  That doesn't happen with the oilies.

Hal :  The Sunset Beckons:

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS