Hello! New to art

This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Windoor wrote
on 13 Oct 2012 3:57 AM

Hello everyone..I am very,very new to art..just starting with drawing side poses..

I made this portrait of a man..and I really feel that there is something very wrong about this sketch..

I am attaching my art..please,please let me know my mistakes and how to correct them..sorry if the portrait is pathetic :P 

Thanks a lot! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,848
Points 53,510
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 13 Oct 2012 10:28 AM

A good start.  Why don't you down load some of the free drawing books on this site.  They have a lot of tips and instructions that will help you.  Keep it up.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://www.facebook.com/CharlieGunnArtist    My Art Work

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 380
shasta737 wrote
on 18 Oct 2012 7:39 AM

hello  and welcome! Its always so great to see new artist and their perception on things! I am still kind of new too! i sketched a little for years, but just last august started oil painting and Love it! I think you have a great start here. sketching for me is one of the hardest things because if there is a shadow you have to color it in with a fine piece of lead. but i have seen some awesowe works that people can do with them so be encouraged and keep at it.

a few things i might suggest is:

1.  that when you are drawing a nose for instants don't just draw a nose. really look at the nose and disect all of the shapes that are in that nose. because what a lot of new sketchers (and I was one of them) do is they skets the basic outline of a nose. but they don't see the details or know how to convey what they see.

2. is shadow and light. having a better understanding of shadowing will help you get the results you are wanting with your art. like i said its not the most easiest at first but with practise you will get it!

Im going to try to upload my one of my first portrait sketches i ever did. I will warn you its not pretty, the eyes are a little slanty and lopsided i think but as a whole you will see what i mean about the shapes and using shadows to create the appearance of a real nose actually being there.

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 380
shasta737 wrote
on 18 Oct 2012 7:41 AM

p.s. as you can see i didn't finish the back ground around him.... it got tired of coloring it in lol!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Windoor wrote
on 21 Oct 2012 2:00 PM

Thankyou soo much for your comments!

Your art is soo amazinggg..thank you for this encouragement! 

I'll be back with a new portrait soon! will try my best to follow your advice :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
yumy287 wrote
on 23 Oct 2012 5:11 PM

hi i am a new person on this site.I dont have drawing skills.and I also dont know how to draw basic things but i want  to learn drawing please help and guide me thanks .

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 250
naefrond1982 wrote
on 26 Jan 2013 10:05 AM

yumy287:

hi i am a new person on this site.I dont have drawing skills.and I also dont know how to draw basic things but i want  to learn drawing please help and guide me thanks .

You're in the right place Geeked

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 66
Points 895
ivo55 wrote
on 28 Jan 2013 12:00 PM

Well,

The most important at the beginning is to master the proportions. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS