Absolutely Terrified

This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 12:08 PM

Hi Smile

I´m completely new to this site, and completely new to painting. I´m also Swedish, so please forgive my English.

About a year ago I was put on permanent disability due to severe fibromyalgia, I have been a chef all my life, but I liked to draw as a child and teenager.  I have tried to start working on learning art, I´m pretty much bedridden and really need something to do to keep myself sane since I´m in constant pain 24 hours a day.

In the past year or so I have learned to use Photoshop some, trying to learn digital art on my own, and I guess I´m kind of mediocre at it, but it´s progress still.

About a month ago I decided to try to learn how to paint with acrylics. I have painted 4 things so far, I paint in bed with the canvas flat on my lap so I can´t really see what I´m doing.

I am really terrified about posting what I´ve done here, I feel embarrassed, but I think I really need help, especially with the last one, the current one I´m working on. None of them are finished, all of them are just experiments, but I feel stuck, I think they look terrible, and I really need help on how to make them better. Also, I have taken pictures of them with a pretty bad compact camera.

I don´t know if I can attach them but here I go, I´ll try to post them in the order that I have painted them..

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,407
Points 44,505
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 12:10 AM

WOW!.  These ar really good.  Keep it up.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 3:37 AM

Oh! Thank you! That wasn´t what I was expecting lol. I don´t know how to anything here yet so I couldn´t find your paintings to look at. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,407
Points 44,505
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 7:59 AM

To find my work just click on my name in my reply to you.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
Doreen2502 wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 8:51 PM

'I'm a beginner too, so my critique isnt probably worth so much, but I I really like the monochromatic one! The others are good too, but for me the orange one has a depth that the others don't quite achieve. You must keep painting, the more you do the better you'll get! And if you love it as much as I do, then you'll be driven!!  

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 2:52 AM

Thank you Doreen! Smile I will keep it up, I have so much to learn, but this site seems to have all kinds of help available, and enough to keep you busy for years.

I´m still learning my way around here, and I still haven´t even figured out what size you have to make an Avatar, and I really don´t know how to critique paintings yet either, but I wil try to find yours as well to look at if you have any posted.

I have understood that you have to post things in your gallery for them to be on your profile page, and I think it might be some time before I have made anyhting that I think is good enough to show there.

I don´t know, I´m kind of overwhelmed with everything there is to go through here.

Thank you again for your comment. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,407
Points 44,505
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 7:40 AM

Don't be afraid to post your work on the member gallery.  It will be welcome there.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 5,640
on 8 Oct 2012 10:28 AM

The two I like the best are number three (bird), and number two with the tree and animal.   I really like the movement you have in both the paintings.   The bird tickles me with it's look,  the head captures your attention and there is an abstract quality that is delightful.  The tree in the second painting has really nice movement, I find the blue part a little distracting, and yet I like the colour change, maybe it's the movement is a little more chaotic, and not as strong as the tree.  I bow to your fortitude in the face of the illness you have been saddled with, and hope that with continuing paining your days will go well - it will be nice to see your progress as you continue forward.  

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 9 Oct 2012 2:09 AM

Thank you Charlie!  I think I´ll wait a while still until I can at least photograph them so that the colors aren´t all off the way I have here. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 9 Oct 2012 2:29 AM

Thank you so much Valerie for your indepth critique, and for kind of teaching me how to do it myself :).

None of those are actually really finished, they are just my first experiments, I hardly know how to hold a brush yet, and I really don´t know how to mix colors or how acrylics work either.

I have never really painted anything before, though I have drawn and doodled quite a bit with pencils, it´s really not the same at all, and I have found that that´s what I´ve been trying to do, draw with a brush, and that doesn´t really work lol.

I really want to thank everyone so far for making me feel welcome, I was hardly expecting anyone to answer my post at all, let alone be so supportive.

I have decided to leave those paintings alone for a while until I have gotten better at this, and then try to fix them. I am thinking about trying to maybe do something abstract just to get the feel of how to make real brushstrokes instead of the "scratching" I´ve been doing with a hard brush.

Thank you so much again, and I hope to find my way around this site soon, and start venturing out a bit, so far the only place I know around here is this thread lol. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
sawillingham wrote
on 28 Nov 2012 11:08 PM

I absolutely love the deer. You have captured a real feeling in the picture. The colours are interesting and work nicely together. Well done!

Shelly

www.shellywillingham.com

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 220
Vafann wrote
on 29 Nov 2012 2:22 AM

Thank you so much Shelly! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Barry Wallce wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 7:48 PM

Holy cow! They are all freakin' awesome...well at least from my POV as a beginner artist. I just started learning how to draw with a pencil from a book called 'Fun with Pencil' by a guy called Loomis something or the other. It's a lot of fun...but I have't really had time to invest in it like I wanted to.

I know that drawing is the first step to painting...so hopefully I'll get to painting what I draw someday.  So, I can't really critique them since i'm not a painter.

But as for my personal tastes...I liked the first one the best. IMHO it feels like it could use a little more depth with shadows...or maybe some more contrast. As for colors and contrast though...I like your peacock. They reminded me of when I lived in Tampa, Florida. There were seeral that ran around the community. 

Anyway! Good luck and keep at it. Practice makes perfect. ;)

------------------------------

Barracuda Webfilter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
knightmarian wrote
on 21 Jan 2013 6:38 AM

Aww....from what I see here you have NOTHING to be afraid of. Keep up the beautiful work! This is the first time I have ever posted to these boards. Glad I found this one to be my first. Wink

I think as artists we are all afraid at some point to bare our souls to the world, and that is what our art does, it allows the world to see a glimmer of what is inside of us. By the way, my coworker said my art scares the h... out of her. I told her if she felt that way then she ought to be very afraid. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 100
sherina1934 wrote
on 10 Feb 2013 3:20 PM

I think your works is wonder. Did you say you have fibromyalgia, girl you certainly can't tell from this pictures. Keep up the great work. I know this post is old but I just had to add my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS