CHALLENGE 24 - October, 2012 - HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY!!

This post has 187 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 3:44 PM

Catherine very nice floral now I know they are called foxgloves very pretty

Marsha at long last a real frog and some more very pretty foxgloves [love the frog]

James

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 3:48 PM

Thank you James! I saw a picture of some foxgloves that were yellow and I'd like to try those sometime.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 5:10 PM

Thank you for the C&C's   here is the revision.   I won't touch it again though.   What happened with the center of the flowers is, I was using my mask remover and didn't realize the brown was still damp and it smeared throughout all the white in the centers.  

Sam even if I crop it the frog is 7 inches long.   he's a big guy kinda like the African Bull frogs in my back yard...  I think they are bigger.

I hope all is well on the east coast with you all.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 1 Nov 2012 7:32 PM

Hello all, a belated reply now that my laptop has come back to life ...

Sam, Joyce Lydia, Marsha, Geri, James, and Sandi, thank you for your warm welcome!

Sandi, what wonderful work capturing reflections in glass - very difficult to do. Tbe miniature aspect of it adds to the interest and the difficulty!

Marsha, I love the robust final version of your frog-and-foxgloves painting and have spent a lot of time looking at your water color to see how you handled it. It is a very beautiful medium.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 1 Nov 2012 9:13 PM

Thank you everyone for all the nice cc's on my trees, I didn't throw it out but I am going to re-do it and do it better.  You guys and gals are wonderful to me.

Jen, thanks for all your help with pastels I printed out your comments and if and when I get over to the states and to an art store I will check them out.  I'm happy with the ones I have for now.  Keep showing your art work everyone.  Joyce

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 1 Nov 2012 10:21 PM

Alex thank you so very much for the compliment  I really appreciate it.  I am learning each time I post something...

Joyce.   I'm glad you are keeping the painting.   I do agree with the good folks that said to create a definition between the white trees and the sky.  they gave good advice.  

Keep up the good work....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 1:59 PM

Catherine- I like your new version of the Foxglobe b/c it is so pleasant to the eyes. It also has good value. The stalk and yellow/green leaves have shady areas in the right place. Neat and tidy. Beautiful.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 2:07 PM

Marsha- This is a really nice painting with beautiful colors. Love the BG mixed colors that repeat the colors in the flower upfront and more. You can really master the watercolor technique, Good job in both versions. The frog is really handsome and standing out. He looks so forlorn. I don't know why every time I see a picture of the frog I always think that it's a "He".

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 4:12 PM

Thank you so much Sandi,   I know the October challenge is over but I am still working on one more piece ...  I will probably be a week late and counting.   I am working on some Christmas gifts as well. 

I too think of frogs as he's  I think its because of the frog prince.   but when I find a ton of frog eggs in my pond, I know there is a girl out there.  Also, When they croak their deep croaks all night I know the guys are looking for the girls...  I love it when the girls answer...

When I look at him Its like when I sneak up on them in the yard,  they seem to look at me and say one more step and I'm outta here.....

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 5:32 PM

Thank you Sandi. The pink I used was a watercolor but meant for rice paper, someone here told me that but I can't remember who. I bought some new pink watercolor called Rose Madder Genuine this evening along with  Indian Yellow, Naples Yellow and Transparent Yellow. Mixing the pink with a brown creates a very beautiful color and I'd like to think of something to paint that I can use that color combination with. I'd like to do the Foxgloves again but maybe with a yellow flower and bits of the pink here and there.

The Pansies that Alex and Geri painted were so light and airy and the colors were so clean. . 

Your rose drawing was just beautiful. I don't know if I had told you that or not.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Nov 2012 7:04 PM

Catherine have you ever tried w/c on rice paper.  Its a new experience. When I was in collage I painted some red poppies on rice paper (the one that has long strands in it. I can;t remember the name.)  It soaked up the color like a sponge leaving a very soft edge.  This worked out ok on the subject matter and some detail could be put in with very heavy color in your brush after the paper dried.  I framed it and gave it to my grandmother. She enjoyed it or at least said she did you know how grandmothers are.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:26 AM

Geri, I've never even seen rice paper before.  Can you see the strands in it? I'm curious now so this will give me a reason to go back to the art store lol. Yes, I understand about how grandmother's are and that's why we love/loved them.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 12:03 PM

Catherine There is several different types of rice paper that range from what resembles white parchment to paper that have flecks of brown and green grass in it.  They all have names that I don't know but like  stereotypical oriental paintings they are steeped in tradition.  They can be fun to experiment with.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:21 PM

The oriental papers are many.   I like Kinwashi ; Kitakata ; Masa ; Mulberry ; Okawara ; Sekishu ; one of my favorites is Unryu Paper.  this can be used for a crinkle paper method of watercolor that Sam knows about also used for collages and batiking.   Some have spun fibers in them and some have specks of nature in them.  Rice papers can come in a roll or you can get a tablet of them.  Just ask your local art dealer to show you the oriental papers and read up on Sumi Painting.    In the 70's I took a Sumi Class and wish I had kept up with it.  I still have the inks and brushes and have kept my tablets that I practiced on.  I just looked at them for the first time in decades and remembered a fun time....   Thanks for bringing back a good memory.

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:25 PM

After reading your's and Geri's post about rice paper I'm ready to go get some right now. I watched a documentary on my laptop ( I don't own a tv) about The Great Wave by Hokusai. It was interesting about the wood block process of laying down the colors. They didn't mention the type of paper but it was probably done on a rice paper. Thanks for all the great info!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Page 12 of 13 (188 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next > | RSS