CHALLENGE 24 - October, 2012 - HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY!!

This post has 187 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 1:11 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 1:15 PM

As everyone here can see I am not keeping up with comments on your pictures. I have looked at all of October's entries and I like them all. I will work to repsond to everyone's pictures next month and direct my comments to the right person. I will get this right next time. I'm sorry if you feel ignored I just haven't figured things out yet.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 29 Oct 2012 6:27 PM

Catherine, what pretty foxglove.  Great colors.  It's nice that you preserved the white of the paper for highlights.  I don't see the yellow you are talking about.  If you do have some yellow, good.  The more color the merrier.  Is this done with the watercolor pencils also?  Very nice paintings.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 7:11 PM

Thank you Sam for the positive feedback. I've never used the watercolor pencils as I like watching the brush put the color down on my paper. It was my understanding from another artist that I should learn to draw with a brush and some lighter color rather than use a graphite pencil although I have recently been using an HB pencil to rough in my thoughts and then erasing almost all of it before I begin. That seems to be ok according to the majority of watercolor study books I have been reading. They are a very pretty flower and interesting flower and I would like to try them again but this next time with a lighter hand. I think I sometimes get to intense as watercolor is supposed to be light and airy looking.  

I used an HB pencil to rough in the flowers and then a large round brush for the background wash. Someone gave me a #0 Kolinsky Sable brush made in Russia and I used that a lot in this pictue along with a Cotman #2. I only used the white Conte pencil as a last resort on the tips of the lower petals as when it came time to use a brush to pull out the color to bring out the little white hairs I wasn't able to keep them sharp enough.  It's when some of inside of the flowers started going south on me that  I used the bleach and the Q-Tips and the tissue and the corner of my dish towel and finally I just said enough with this and went ahead and had it scanned as is. 

Can't wait to see our November Challenge pictures!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 8:45 PM

Catherine,  I love your foxgloves.  really like the color...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 8:50 PM

As I said I was working on my version of a foxglove (by the way they make digitalis out of foxglove), here is mine.     I personally am not happy with it, but I like the frog.   This took a couple of hours to do last night but I tried to correct some stuff today,  I shouldn't have.

Its on 300lb arches watercolor, 11x15.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 9:44 PM

Marsha, your flower is beautiful, I can only wish someday mine can turn out as nice,

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 9:47 PM

Jen, your rose is great what bright colours.  I have never tried to paint a rose, I did try drawing one but what a mess I made of it.  Great job.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 9:51 PM

Alex your pansy is sweet great job, I may try to paint a pansy for my halloween treat!!!

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 12,300
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 9:53 PM

Marsha again nice job on the frog and foxglove. love the background.

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 4:25 AM

Marsha your background work is just beautiful. It has such depth as mine seems so flat and dull. And that frog! I love the colors in the background and the pinks not to mention the work and color on the frogs body is just perfect. It's like he/she is just sitting there ready to leap off the flower. I want to paint a frog like that!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,522
Points 24,410
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 11:16 AM

Marsha I love the frog.  The stem end of the flower kind of gets lost in the back ground and the angle that you had to use on the blooms is very difficult because the frog is sitting on them.  It still is a very nice painting with the complementary color scheme.  Nice work.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,522
Points 24,410
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 11:22 AM

Catherine your foxgloves are really nice and a great color scheme.  I do believe that I liked your first one better because it was spontaneous and loose.  BOTH ARE VERY WELL DONE.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 11:33 AM

Thank you Geri! Yes, I agree I like the first one much better than the second one. The second ones are so stiff and deliberate looking. And to be really frank I thought they had a phallic look to them and I was almost uncomfortable painting them.

I think part of being spontaneous is knowing your subject inside and out so you can just create the picture and not keep stopping and referring to a picture. The first little one just happened in a few minutes before I left for work but it was a happy accident so to speak.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 30 Oct 2012 2:18 PM

Marsha, love that frog.  My but he is handsome, although not handsome enough to kiss.  Great background.  It doesn't brother me that the stem isn't strongly defined.  Sometimes lost lines are good.  I think a little darker color on the bottom flower where the top flower would be casting a shadow would help.  The spots would be tough to do with watercolor.  Did you know that colored pencil goes over watercolor very nicely?  I like this frog a lot.  You could crop it just below the frog and have a great mini.  The bottom half would make an interesting abstract. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 11 of 13 (188 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next > | RSS