CHALLENGE 24 - October, 2012 - HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY!!

This post has 187 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 5 Oct 2012 7:11 PM

Joyce, you handled those water droplets very well.  Way to go girl.  Practicing this type of thing will make you a pro in no time.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,395
Points 22,520
Berkenstock wrote
on 5 Oct 2012 7:15 PM

Joyce well done. I have not tried water drops yet.  They don't look easy.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 11:11 AM

Fred- Love your bright light painting and the Bears are back! Wow I feel like I am seeing my old friends that I have not seen for sometime. You made them working hard this time.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 11:24 AM

Joyce- Really good job for the first time. I remember when I was practicing doing the water drops in the watercolor class a long time ago that it was fun and I love doing it. My teacher told me that water drops can be other shapes than round circles. They can be oval, triangular or round depending on the position and the way they cling on whatever surface is and usually it will be on flowers or leaves. you are doing great.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 1:12 PM

Thanks for the wonderful cc's on my water drops, I am proud of my little babies!!!!!  They really aren't hard to do everyone should try if I can do them you ALL can do them.  Maybe I will try oval, traingulars drops along with the round ones next time.

Here is my red flowercard  I'm calling it "RED DAISY", like I said early the back ground is done using pastels and I used waterbase oil paints for the flower.  I have enjoyed this months challenge pictures. 

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,920
jatravis wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 9:49 PM

Joyce - Your waterdrops look great!  I can't seem to do anything with watercolors - I tried them about a year ago & since then they have stayed in my closet!  Great job!  I also like your pastel flower - I like the colors you added for background, I would like to see just a little more contrast to show off the light .

Fred - I really like your bear's do-it-yourself home rebuilding!  Love the mountains & the colors you used - your perspective is good - Really nice -the best thing I enjoy about your picture is your imagination!

This certainly is a very active group - I haven't even gotten started on my pic yet !

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 6 Oct 2012 10:12 PM

thanks for the cc's on the flower and water drops.  I can't say enough how much they mean to me.  Judy I'm not sure where you would like more contrast to show off the light, please let me know, thanks Joyce

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,045
bernof wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 11:14 AM

I like both of your paintings especially the water drops ,I could never get the hang of either floral painting including water drops maybe someday I'll try again. Good work Joyce

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 721
Points 12,170
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 11:26 AM

Thank Fred, why paint flowers and water drop when you are sooooooooooooo good with bears!

Joyce

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,920
jatravis wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 11:53 AM

Joyce - I like your flower, but I am such a light junkie that I always look for where the light is hitting the subject.  I had a hard time determining that when viewing your picture....I tried uploading your painting & the photo so we could view them side by side, but couldn't figure out how to do it.....Anyways, if you look at the photo you will notice that wherever the light hits the petals & stem, the color is much lighter - the play of this light against the darker values is what makes the petals seem to gracefully bend.  I hope this helps!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,433
Points 20,850
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 11:58 AM

Every Rose Has It's Thorn,  limited pallette  titanium white ,vermillon , cad yellow light and pthalo blue on wood no gesso

Jim C&C welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 7 Oct 2012 3:29 PM

Joyce, I agree that the background of your red daisy is lovely.  I like the transitions between the various colors  The flower is drawn well and I like the highlight on the stem.  You do need highlights and darks on the flower itself.  Remember the orange - how we put a highlight on it, then middle values and finally the darks to give it shape and make it look round.  The same thing is happening to each petal.  In the reference photo, there are darks at the tips where the petals bend down. There are also darks where the petals go into the center.  There are some light, bright areas on the petals and the center where the light it hitting the strongest.  I like the colors you used. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,905
Points 46,650
on 7 Oct 2012 3:32 PM

James, what a lovely yellow rose.  It stands out nicely against the dark blues and greens.  I can hear the violin music as I look at this.  It's good to hear from you.  It's been a while.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,920
jatravis wrote
on 7 Oct 2012 10:32 PM

James - I like your rose picture - it has, for me, an antiqued look, nice....I really like the fairy & is it the frog prince?  Great imagination!

Judy   C&C appreciated

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 8 Oct 2012 6:47 AM

Well this is a great challenge, such beautiful pictures, I can't decide wich one I'll use.

James, I was thinking about "insert" a fairy in my drawing, but you beat me to it... can I do it now? Big Smile

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

Page 3 of 13 (188 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS