Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 4:55 PM

I missed all these good stuffs just see these today since it is at the top line of the AMPC page.

Holly, thanks for being so nice to leave good words. I went to look at the original painting and did not see any blue specs and it's hard to say what they are. The BG was done with red and black so I don't think it can turn into blue. I changed my mind from blue to darker BG before I started doing it.But thanks all the same.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 5:07 PM

Lore- I love all three of your paintings/drawings. The Horses are well done with good values. They look real. The apples are floating nicely in the bowl. They look real too with variation in colors. The Bird has beautiful BG colors but I like to see more detailed work on the feathers, also values change will help it not to look flat. Anyhow good jobs so far. Keep going.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 5:31 PM

Marsha- Nice waterfall and soft beautiful colors. Very nice greenery. I like the layered rocks on the two sides of the water fall but am a little confused with the top ones. Personally, I always try not to make round or curve rocks. They can be triangular or oblong or any shape that go straight or cut sharp at the corners, etc. but not round except if they are small rocks or gravels. Naturally, there are many rocks that are round or dome shapes but when in paintings they do not transport the hard surface or strength of the rock too well. This is a tip from my on- line teacher who was teaching thousands of students all over the world who signed up for his classes. His name is Johannes  Vloosthuis. Otherwise  this is a nice painting of a waterfall.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 5:36 PM

Catherine- Nice paintings I like all four and love the three sunflowers the best. They really pop against the black background. 

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 6:25 PM

Thank you sandichot!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,449
Points 23,355
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 9:01 PM

I instantly recognized Van Gogh's bedroom not that I spent any time with him there!!! Wink

Sam I don't think that you were his type anyway Wink Or was thus before he lost his ear???

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,046
Points 46,330
on 4 Nov 2012 11:07 AM

Hi Catherine,

Wow! several at once! My favorites are the bowl with apples, sunflowers on black, and Van Gogh's high-traffic bedroom (everyone seems to recognize it!). With the other still life (and I noticed the great spiral) I'd love to see you do another still life like that but with more of the elements touching each other.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Nov 2012 11:54 AM

Thank you Alex. I've been experimenting with painting anything/everything. I've been gathering a lot of interesting things inside before winter to use to actually set up a still life. I'm trying to get a good understanding of shading, value and composition so maybe it's time I give it a whirl. I had fun with Vincent's bedroom lol.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,862
Points 47,770
Turps245 wrote
on 7 Nov 2012 9:54 PM
MARSHA, lovely work on the waterfall. Yours looks very realistic and I know that falling water is not easy. CATHERINE those are lovely paintings I like the Van Gough bedroom and the sunflowers.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Page 10 of 10 (144 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10 | RSS