Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 29 Oct 2012 9:24 PM

Hello all   well better late than never....  right?

here is a colored pencil of my waterfall done over many days for stress relief...  I don't even know if I am finished with it yet.  Looking at it here I can see more that I would like to do...   any suggestions?   Keep in mind I didn't do it like the actual, I just used the actual as a sort of reference.  We have some ponds in the back yard and one of them has a slab of flat rock that the water comes onto and over, for the falls.   I mainly had that in my mind.

placed on Mi-Teintes moonstone 10x13 actual drawing is 8x5

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,525
Points 24,470
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Oct 2012 11:29 AM

Marsha your drawing has turned out real well.  I tried a wc of this and it was kind of lack luster.  Maybe I will try to add more detail like you did.  I like this very much.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 30 Oct 2012 2:12 PM

Marsha, you have really taken to those colored pencil.  This waterfall painting is super and you did the right things in just using the photo for a reference and changing it to suit yourself.  The water looks like water and the rocks are very well rendered, especially the ones down the left side.  Take a bow - this is well done. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,340
on 2 Nov 2012 8:04 PM

Hi Marsha, this is such an attractive use of colored pencils. The moss and vegetation on the rocks are lovely and the drawing has a soft stylized look that is very individual.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 1:52 PM

I'm going to go ahead and add the paintings I did for the Sept. 2012 Challenge. I did four and they are all on sketch paper as I wasn't sure yet. This was before I was a member but was checking out the Challenge forum.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 1:53 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 1:54 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 1:55 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 1:55 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:29 PM

Vincent isn't dead here, he's just asleep ;) I did these three sunflowers from the Challenge picture first here in this painting/sketch and then did them again alone with the black background.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:35 PM

THESE ARE ALL AMAZING...   I love them all   especially the daiseys....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,525
Points 24,470
Berkenstock wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 2:36 PM

I see that it was a starry night.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 3 Nov 2012 2:36 PM

All four of these paintings are very loose and artistic.  The aren't overworked and look fresh and crisp.  I particularly like the three sunflowers on the black bg.  The pumpkins are very nice but I find myself wishing they were overlapped some for a more 3D look.  I really like the dark shadow in the bowl with the apples.  The apples are nice colors.  I instantly recognized Van Gogh's bedroom not that I spent any time with him there!!! Wink  The sunflowers and vase in that painting could stand alone as a still life.  I like that you put Starry Night as the view through the window.  Nice work. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,105
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Nov 2012 3:09 PM

Thank you Marsha, Geri and Sam!

I do like sunflowers/daisys too but I like them a little beat up and wilty for some reason. Maybe it's the color. The yellow in the ones I painted here were tough to keep the light and yet add value without losing the  strong yellow. I liked doing the leaf work better as I'm not much of a flower painter yet. I'm actually working on a little orchid watercolor off and on today and that little tiny orchid flower is making me crazy. They will stay blooming for around a month so I still have a chance to get it right. lol

Yes, the light had to be coming from somewhere and  a starry night was the only answer lol.

I know Sam, the pumpkins were all over the place and the gourd is some sort of mutant giant too. I just kind of went with this to see where it would go. I'm not real good at layering objects but would like to attempt the gourd and pumpkins again. My still life skills are real limited at the moment. LOL yeah, I haven't been spending time in Vincent's quarters either! I like the colors of the apples too but I thought it was a little rough and dirty looking. I did these all on sketch paper and the half slice of apple actually has a hole in the paper there as I thought I could perform a miracle or something.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 3 Nov 2012 3:39 PM

Catherine, you are working miracles with those watercolors.  It's always amazing that we can turn a blank sheet of paper into a 3D image.  I meant to comment on the leaves in the three sunflower painting.  They are very well done.

Page 9 of 10 (144 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next > | RSS