Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 7:48 PM

This is the Acrylic Sketch I used as an underpainting.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 29 Sep 2012 7:57 PM

Sandi, that nice acrylic underpainting looks good and, as you know, it makes the whole process go so much easier to have that underpainting.  I like the colors you chose for it.

Nice colors for the finished painting, too.  Good composition with an odd number of objects and the largest, brightest object in a sweet spot.  It would enhance the painting to put darker shadows under the pumpkins to anchor them.  The smallest orange one appears to be floatings.  I would like to see more variety of color and values in the leaves.  A couple bright highlights on the pumpkins would be great.

I like the dark background.  This is a very nice painting.  If you do more work on it, would you post it again? 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 29 Sep 2012 8:54 PM

Sandi nice work.  The only thing that bothers me is the upper leaves and the green pumpkin seem to have a halo around them.  This may be something the camera has added but check it out.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 30 Sep 2012 2:18 PM

Hi all - I have actually been breathing well enough to get up the stairs to my loft studio area and paint some this week.  My utmost priority was to attempt at least one of Sammy's challenges for this month - if I got nothing else done all week!

Here's my effort - it's 9 x 12, oil on canvas board. 

It looks a little different on the monitor - somehow I have never been able to learn how to take a picture of a painting.  I had several problem areas on this one but the one that as bothered me the most has been the flesh of the cut apple.  Any suggestions???

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 30 Sep 2012 2:59 PM

My goodness, Holly, you haven't lost your touch during your hiatus.  These apples are gorgeous.  You have some really dark, darks on them and their shadows which makes them pop.  I love the creams, yellows, golds, orange-reds, red-reds, burgundies, maroons that you used on them.  I even see touches of purple.   I love the variety of colors on the lit rim of the bowl.  The background reads very well, also.  The darkness of it makes those apples really stand out. This painting deserves a signature and a frame.

Concerning the cut apples, I see various dark colors around the core.  I think I see a touch of pale pink where the apple flesh meets the peeling on the right.  I also think that I see touches of pale green and yellow.  If you even imagine that you see a color, exaggerate it.

The small slice of apple seems to be in shadow with warm colors at the top left.  Those colors gradate to cooler, darker colors at the bottom.  On the underside of the larger apple slice, yellow light is hitting the top of the triangle of apple skin, gradating to darker red as it approaches the table.  The same is happening to the skin on the smaller slice of apple.  Those slices will be exciting, too, once you get some color and values on them.

Please post this again if you work on it some more.  Again, welcome back.  Keep on feeling better and better.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 30 Sep 2012 3:54 PM

Holly it is great that you are back.  We were all concerned about you and not knowing how to contact you made it worse.  You're apples are great.  I am with Sammy on the sliced one.  It should have maybe some slight yellow added like apples get soon after they are sliced.  Also the whiteness of the apple in dark dark shadow draws your eye away from the main part of the picture.  Really glad your OK.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Oct 2012 2:37 PM

Holly- Love your apples painting. it's soft and gentle which is your own style. You are getting very good with Oil so keep it up. This painting is good already, if you fix what you ask for help and getting suggestions then it will be great.

Sammy- I did what I could with the leaves but my camera is known for its favor to blue color. Any blue green will comes out as darker blue so you might still not see too much difference in the leave colors. I originally did have the shade areas under the pumpkins but it came out really light so I reapplied the blackest OP stick I could find. So it is clearly visible now. Thanks for your suggestion.

Geri- Sorry that the halo bothered you. No. it's not the camera, I intentionally made the white lines around the leaves and the green pumpkin to portray the unidentified light source coming from the 10 o'clock position (on the left). I did put more white light on the green pumpkin, Hope it looks o.k. I am glad that I used red for underpainting of the pumpkins. They are really glowing now as if they are receiving full light.

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 Oct 2012 9:27 AM

Sandi, the darks you have added look good and the yellow pumpkin isn't floating as it seemed to be doing.  I like the variety of colors in the leaves.  This is a nice, bright painting.  One can get some beautiful, bright colors with oil pastels.  Have you posted this on the Oil Pastel forum at Wet Canvas?  I still check in there from time to time but quit commenting since I don't post anything.  Pat Issac recently did some very attractive apples.

My computer seems to favor the blues also, so I usually cut the blue in one of my photo programs before posting or printing.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 Oct 2012 6:27 PM

Sandi - I love your pumpkins - - the color shifts and the contrasts make this really great.  You got some good definition with the OPs too. 

My computer (or maybe it's my monitor) picks up little blue speckles - - I don't really understand that.

Holly

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 3 Oct 2012 6:37 PM

Thanks, Geri & Sandi - it's really good to be back, too.  Thanks for your comments and suggestions. That sliced apple really does bother me - particularly the half one in the back.  I think I got it's angle all wrong - it looks like you are looking straight down on it rather than at an angle. 

Sammy - Thanks for your suggestions - the apple flesh actually is more yellow than it shows up on the monitor - - I'm going to have to take your suggestions up to the loft with me so I have them right there next to my palette and my brushes!

Holly

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Oct 2012 7:38 PM
Holly , great work on the apples you certainly haven't lost your touch. Soooooo glad to see you painting with us again. Good advice as always from our Sammy.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Oct 2012 7:39 PM
Sandi, great finish it all sits right and I love the light on the leaves. Great job!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Oct 2012 10:52 PM

Holly and Jen- Thanks for your support. The idea of using black came out after I couldn't use blue as planned and it turned out pretty good.

Sammy- I did post it in Wetcanvas in the OP forum and in my Face Book so brave friends such as Holly and Hal and possibly Kristina have to see it three times. Hal started to complain that this looks familiar but he was kind enough to comment that it's  great work, He is such a trooper. Anyhow I got positive comments from others too.

Right Hug Sandi

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 5 Oct 2012 8:43 AM

Hello everybody!

I've seen all your works and I love them, so colorful!!!

I scanned all my drawings so I'll post them again. From this day on I'll avoid photo cameras, I'm totally useless with photos Angry

My big-headed horses:

My smoky apples:

And my spring bird (I used another picture to finish it)

I think they look better now. Anyway, I need a lot more practice to do what you guys do Geeked

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 5 Oct 2012 10:21 AM

Lore, your horses are wonderful and I don't think they are big headed.  Their eyes sparkle and their facial features are right on.  The wood grain is very nice.  The horses stand out against the dark background. 

Lore, new artist's are usually afraid of the dark.  It took me approximately three years to become unafraid of the dark.  Those dark, darks cause the lights (apples) to show up so well (pop).  I like that you just suggested the woodgrain. This is very well done.

And your cedar waxwing is looking so good.  The colors are more accurate and the bird stands out more against the background.  I like that you just suggested the buds and leaves in the background and emphasized the buds and branch in the foreground.  I can't help wondering how his feet are attached to the branch but we won't worry about that.

Page 8 of 10 (144 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next > | RSS