Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 4:35 PM

Here is my  picture of the horses.  This is my 2nd cp picture that I have ever done.  It has some issues but I am fairly pleased with it  I have been asked if I would put it in the up coming auction at the Southern Indiana Arts Center at their annual fund raiser.  I told them yes now I will have to frame and mat it.  It is 4 1/2 X 5 7/8 colored pencil on light tan Strathmore pastel paper.  Please feel free to comment.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 9:26 PM

Geri, great Cp of the horses. I am not very knowledgable about horses but the lighter horse's nostril on our left looks a bit off. Not sure if it is the shading or if it is something else but it looks like his nose is turning but his eyes are straight on. You are doing well with the CP 's though. Good luck with the auction.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 19 Sep 2012 9:30 PM

Well I got out my pastels now the little ones have left again. I had a go at the waterfall but I think it has the same stiff problem as the sketch. I just wasn't getting it to flow so finally gave up.

6x8 Uart paper with various soft pastels and pencils.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 12:23 AM

Jen I see what you mean but I think it is the eyes that are wrong not the nose.  Thank you.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 12:36 AM
Geri, I checked the original and I don't think it is the eyes. It is hard to correct CP's so I wouldn't change a thing as you want to put this in the auction. I think it is the dark shading. Maybe Sammy can help she is the CP expert. It is just a small thing .

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 8:02 AM

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 8:23 AM

Geri, after going back and forth to the reference photo and to your painting, I decided to bring them both here so that I can compare more easily.  First of all, congratulations that you were asked to donate this miniature of the horses for a fund raiser.  They must have a high opinion of it.  Also, this is very good for your second CP.

I agree that the eyes could be adjusted.  His left eye (our right) needs to be brought around to the side of his head.  The other eye (on our left) seems to be well placed.  The dark area around his nose needs to be larger, extending further to our left and higher toward the bridle.  The nostril needs to be raised higher and made larger. There needs to be more light under the dark area to indicate his mouth.  Pink is a good color for the highlights around the perimeter of his nostril.  I would take the pink out of the nostril since this horse in dark there.  The brown horse's nostril could be bigger, also.  Make the highlight in the brown horse's eye stronger.

I like that you used more than one color on the background.  That makes for more interest.  Your wood grain is convincing. You selected excellent colors for the horses.  You can be proud of this and I hope it does well in the auction.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 8:34 AM

Jen, I like what you've done with the waterfall.  The foliage looks great with good colors and values.  The rocks look good and are convincing.  Concerning the waterfall, one wonders what makes the water flow downward at an angle rather than vertically as we all know water flows.  You need to emphasize the rock that it is flowing over and the water should follow the curve of that rock.  In some areas in the reference photo, the water is flowing in ribbons.  I think the painting would read better if there was a bit more connection between most of those ribbons of water.  The touches of blue, green and gray in the water are very good.

I like this painting and am so glad that you're working on art again.  You have been missed.  It seems to be a be a lot of work to get a new grand baby.  Did I tell you congratulations? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 12:08 PM

Thanks Sam your C&C was very good just what I needed.  Also thank you for the infoi on the cp colors.  I am just trying to keep from buying a bunch of pencils that I wont use

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 48,700
Turps245 wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 6:06 PM

Thanks Sammy. I noodled this some more but I don't think it has helped all that much. It is just over worked now.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 6:12 PM

Hello, this is my first post here EVER jejej

I love this challenges, I really need some inspiration like this every day.

This is my drawing. I did the right horse's head bigger than the original, because I felt they seem to be father and daughter and I wanted them to be a couple...

Anyway, here are the results.

(It's hard to be concentrated with 3 little children aroundLightning)

LORE9018 =D

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 20 Sep 2012 7:31 PM

Jen, the waterfall is believable now that we can see the rock that the water is flowing over.  Again, there are a lot of good features in this painting - the foliage, rocks and blue-grays that suggest distant foliage at the top.  I think this is a tough subject and you learned a lot working on it.

Lore9018 welcome aboard.  It is great that you've joined us.  You horses are very well done and so is the wood of the stable.  I like that you allowed the background to gradate creating a vignette.  Very nice.  Can you tell us what size this is and what medium you used? 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 8:27 PM

Thanks Sammy. Tomorrow I'll work on the apples.

Edit: 

Size: 17 cm. x 11,5 cm. (I know it's almost a miniature, but is a little blank book I can take with me everywere I go)

Medium: colored pencils.

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

"... to have been loved so deeply, even thought the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Points 23,560
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 8:27 PM

Wow Lore I thought my horses were pretty good until I saw yours.  Good work and welcome aboard.

Jen Your falls are much better. good going girl.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 1,165
Lore9018 wrote
on 20 Sep 2012 8:35 PM

Thanks Geri, your drawing reminded me my granpa, he used to draw just like you. I think your drawing is more emotional than mine Wink 

(I hope everybody will understand my UGLY English)

Lore

C&C PLEASE!!! Geeked

Page 4 of 10 (144 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS