Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 8 Sep 2012 4:42 PM

Well ,Fred, those bears show up everywhere - even on Mars.  Cute painting with a nice sky.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 8 Sep 2012 4:45 PM

Jean, I like you horses.  Very sweet paintings.  Try making a few areas darker, like under their chins and see what a difference that makes.

Geri, your rocks are very nice.  The foliage could use some darks and some variety of colors like blue, yellow, orange, etc.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 8 Sep 2012 9:56 PM

Sammy I know what you mean about adding darks to the trees.  I have tried but it seems that my inexpensive paint won't let me go any darker I may have to go to acrylics and add some highlights and darks to give them some shape.  I had not considered adding other colors to the foliage for some reason that may be something else to use acyclics on.  Thanks

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,909
Points 48,770
Turps245 wrote
on 13 Sep 2012 12:26 AM

Geri nice work on the waterfall. This is not an easy ref and you did a good job on the rocks which I never find easy.

Jean nice pencil work on the horses. Yes it is always increase the contrast darken the darks I am the same but you got a good likeness of the two horses.

Thanks for the welcome back Sandi.  I had a go at the waterfall in pencil after changing it to black and white to get a feel for it. I was hoping to do one in pastel but that wont be until next week now.

The Curly One ( now no longer curly just wavy as he has had his first big boy hair cut) and baby brother will here at the weekend. So I have to put away all my art stuff that is on the kitchen table. I set up there when we closed down the old art studio.

I got a little carried away with the waterfalls and didn't get w enough contrast but it gave me a feel for it. Hopefully the pastel version will go better.

Just a sketch in my sketchbook Looks a bit abstract and strange

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,685
on 13 Sep 2012 10:58 AM

Jen, you are right that the waterfall is a difficult subject and you do have a fee for it.  You do have some good dark values at the bottom of your drawing.  Using color will make a lot of difference and I am eagerly awaiting seeing it in pastel.  Enjoy those grandchildren.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,474
Points 23,630
Berkenstock wrote
on 13 Sep 2012 5:45 PM

Jen your falls has nice value with dark darks and light highlights.  The only thing that bothers me is the way the water falls.  It kind of looks stiff.  If you put a bowl in the sink and slowly fill it up until it overflows you can better see how it flows.  For water to shoot out away from the rocks it has to be a torrent. (it may be because I am not looking at it with your eyes).   For it to run at an angle it would be on a hill side not a drop off as in the picture.Your rocks are nice and when you do them in color things will change quit a bit you do good work.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 13 Sep 2012 8:07 PM

Jen- Good sketch on the waterfall. It will be a  road map for your pastel which will look very different than the sketch. Colors tend to do the changing. I am glad that we are having more painters/drawers coming back. Sometimes I felt quite lonely when several of you guys were gone at the same time. Thanks the Imminent being for Sammy who always is here Oh! also for Fred  except that he is not in the Challenges as much as in the Chatter but we are happy that he shows up there often too.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:49 PM

Jean very nice, I enjoying you painting keep them coming....

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:50 PM

Love your bears Fred, are you doing another children's book?

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:50 PM

Love your bears Fred, are you doing another children's book?

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:53 PM

wow nice horses, even the post are well done.  

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:54 PM

Geri, nice waterfalls, colours are great lots of layers, good job.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:56 PM

Jen you always cc your own work, you make me laugh I wish my painting and drawings were half as good.  Nice job.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 729
Points 12,280
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 14 Sep 2012 4:59 PM

Just a note I invited a artist friend of mine to join this wonderful group, I know you all will enjoy her artwork.    

Joyce

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 15 Sep 2012 8:12 AM

Want to say thanks to everyone for their input. I know I have a long way to go. I,m trying hard not to over work my colors (very hard to keep my brush off my work) . My goal is to work loose, but I have this instinct to go back in to do this or that. Thanks to Fred (love the bears), Jen, Geri, Sandi and of course you Sam.

Wink Jean

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Page 3 of 10 (144 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS