Challenge 23 - September 2011

This post has 143 Replies | 10 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 5:42 PM

Jean your sunflowers are nice.  Some more darks would give them more depth but yo are coming along.  If you go to you tube and watch the videos you might find that helpful I know I have.  Keep up the good work to more you paint the more you improve good luck.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 6 Sep 2012 5:49 PM

Fred it looks like it is as hot and on Mars as it was here in Indiana this summer. The bears seem to keep one foot off the ground.  Sand must be hotWink  Keep up thr good work.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 7:59 AM

Placed the final pencil touches on this this morning.  I may try it ib watercolors this afternoon. I enjoy seeing everyones never endig talent on this site. So much to learn from.

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 1:06 PM

Your horses are nice.  If increase your darks (shadows) in intensity I thick that it might improve your picture.  I hope you were wanting comments on your picture.  Usually if we do we put C&C (comments and critiques) in our post.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 1:15 PM

Here is a picture of the waterfalls.  I didit as a learning experiance.  I think maybe what I learned is stay away from falling water and green stuff.  Ithink I am done but I may go in and put some more darks in the folage at the top.  I will have to look at it for awhile.  It 12x16 on Arches rough.  Please c&c

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 2:47 PM

Hi Geri, Looks good to me ,nice depth.Yesterday I tried to do one similar to your waterfall with gouache and ended up with a gosh awful mess so I turned the paper over and done the Mars painting but I will try again

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 3:25 PM

Fred I know what you mean.  Sometimes the more you work on it the bigger mess it becomes.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 4:23 PM

Jen- Welcome back. Hope you have had some rest and not too tired from running after the kids. The Curly one seems to have grown up fast since he has his little brother. Thanks for the special photos in your e-mail.

Now you may be able to put your artist cap on, let me guess what you will try first: 1) Pumpkin 2) water fall 3) Bridge 4) flowers. Anyhow you are a fast worker so I probably will find out soon what you are working on.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 4:44 PM

Jean- Welcome to our little group. We are always happy when there is someone new coming in to join us. You are showing many paintings you have done in a short time which is very good of you to try variety that enticed you to paint. Like Geri said the more you paint the better you will be.

I like your apple still life that has nice colors. If you add more values meaning darker colors and fill in more paint, I bet it will look tantalizing. Right now it looks like a sketch which is nothing wrong with that. But it will stay as a nice sketch.

The old barn is very nice and I like it the best for it has nice bright colors. You did the greenery very well the way it draped down the barn is beautiful. The light in the back of the barn is awesome it compliment with the yellow color on the leaves of the tree in back.

The flowers have nice colors too but they probably need to be calmed down a bit. There are too many strong lines going every where so they look a bit busy.

The horses are cute and show good and correct proportion. If you add more value like Jen said "pushing the dark" it will be more substantial and interesting.

Keep on painting/drawing Jean, you are showing artistic trait , you can go far.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 4:51 PM

Fred- Your limited palette Life on Mars is interesting. They look to me like a monochrome, can't tell where one ends and another begins. Good thing to have the three Bears visiting first. They look like they are exuberant finding the old barn.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 5:04 PM

Geri- You started out well on the waterfalls. I love how you do the rocks, they are gorgeous esp. the ones in the front. You probably need to just do  more water coming down. Don't worry if you have too much white water, you can always color the water too b/c water always reflects the surrounding so it can be colorful too.

When I do my green leaves, I put on the very dark green first then I put other light green, or yellow or whatever other light colors on top of the dark green. They will show best on top of dark.

Have to say one more thing: you manage watercolor well. It's not an easy medium to use but you did very well with it.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 6:09 PM

Thank you Sandi  Here is the problem with the picture.  With watercolor you can't put light over dark ( Unless you use pure color right out of the tube.) so I can only go darker.  The second problem is that I tried to use wax resist for the water.  I evidently didn't use enough wax or the rough paper was the problem.  The water is all done with a grinding wheel in my dremyl tool.  This leaves the paper really rough and absorbent so if you put a wash over it it sucks up more color making it much darker and there is no way to correct it after its done.  I can add as much white as I want but I can't add any color.  I am going to study it awhile and I may add some more water.  Thank you for your suggestions it will help me think about it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 59
Points 1,520
jm7445 wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 7:46 PM

I believe when I scanned it, it truly scanned lighter. However, I'll go back over it with a B6 lightly to see what that doe thank you Smile Grei

Jean M.

Critique and criticism appreciated.Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 9:25 PM

Geri- Pardon me. I was talking and forgetting that the painting is watercolor and not oil. I am trying now to think how I did the correction when I made a mistake and wanted to change color. I remember my then teacher told me not to use water b/c the color will only be absorbed  more into the paper. I think we used a soft eraser to try to get it out and we applied the white liquid paper to it. Wait until the liquid paper dries then apply other soft color. But we were doing just some spots, not the big area. This is a problem with watercolor, you have to plan ahead to use miskit for the area that you want to be light color before you apply dark colors. Thai's why it's not an easy medium to use.  Good luck with your project.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 8 Sep 2012 4:40 PM

Jean, you certainly have been busy and doing a good job with the drawing.  I like the nice variety of green in the shack painting.  If you use more darks in all three the lights will show up more.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 10 (144 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS