"ORIENTAL PARASOL" done in 1 day

This post has 11 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 140
steverude wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 12:27 AM

Hi everyone!  This painting was done at the art school's Open Studio class with the live model. For this painting, I thought I'd try using--watercolor.  Yes, watercolor.   As everyone knows, watercolor has two particular qualities that we should all know about: 

1.  It's one of the hardest mediums to master.

2.  Every kid in grade school has painted with it.

Hmmm. 

Anyway, the painting turned out well that day, but with me and my math-impaired brain behind the brush, pulling off the entire thing in transparent watercolor seems all but impossible.  So out comes the white gouache and when I mix it with the watercolor, I can use it to then go over my screw-ups and correct my mistakes.  Ten points to the eagle-eye out there who can spot the areas where I've applied the gouache. 

Gouache is an interesting medium, and an even more interesting word.  When pronounced, it resembles the sound of a nation of conveslesants standing over the toilet during flu season.  Most people can't even spell it, let alone paint with it.  I somehow managed to memorize this word back in art school by realizing it contains the word "ache".  I'm sure there's a correlation.

And don't forget to sign up for the Dude's very first instructional masterclass: "30 years in 4 days" The Steve Rude Painting Workshop in September.  The cry of the loons at night are worth the price alone!

Talking in high volume,

Steve Rude the Dude
www.SteveRude.com
www.facebook.com/steverudethedude

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,225
watermike wrote
on 3 Sep 2012 2:17 PM

VERY nice.  I'll have to check out your website.  So where's the gouche? some of those highlighted purplish/white-ish strokes?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,370
Points 50,735
Charlie Gunn wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 9:52 AM

This is VERY good.  Very good detail.  I like watercolor.

Charlie Gunn

C&C welcomed

http://picasaweb.google.com/cagunn0/MYARTWORK

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Awitthoft wrote
on 26 Sep 2013 1:40 AM

It doesn't even look like water color. Usually water color has a transparent hue effect and typically is in bright colors. Your painting is solid and strong with dark shadows and finite lines. I like it, did you add less water more paint? Layering until you got the correct colors?

Like it a lot. great painting.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 140
steverude wrote
on 26 Sep 2013 8:26 PM
The watercolor of the Parasol girl was a combination of transparent and opaque w.c.

It begins as transparent and whatever needs correcting or requires more solidity in the last stages is done with white gouache mixed in with the w.c. to achieve opaque passages.

--Steve Rude

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
sakirehman wrote
on 27 Sep 2013 8:16 AM

Hi! Steve rude. Nice peace of art. You have used colors very intelligently. I like your paint. Is the lady from Japaneses culture or Chinese.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 3,980
ArtDork wrote
on 27 Sep 2013 1:30 PM

So fluid and beautiful with just the right amount of detail!  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
sakirehman wrote
on 28 Sep 2013 7:42 AM

steverude:
The watercolor of the Parasol girl was a combination of transparent and opaque w.c.It begins as transparent and whatever needs correcting or requires more solidity in the last stages is done with white gouache mixed in with the w.c. to achieve opaque passages.--Steve Rude

Can we have the same effect on other techniques of painting?

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 190
Ritas Art wrote
on 21 Jan 2014 10:22 PM

this painting is amazing

http://www.ritasfineartwork.com

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
marbydonna wrote
on 21 May 2014 11:11 PM

steve rude, not to worry, I'll help keep your gouache secret.  

there is no reason why one should not use any medium that is available and compatible with others used in the piece.  I've just recently begun painting again after many years and find that so much in the toolbox complements the rest of the occupants of said materials.  besides, never been that traditional a girl!

i've really enjoyed studying your painting.    the figure is framed by the parasols that she in turn so beautifully and gracefully frames.

thank you for the opportunity to see this work.

donna

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
on 22 May 2014 5:26 AM

Wow! That's amazing!

MY BLOG: www.mariellecollins.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
marbydonna wrote
on 22 May 2014 11:27 AM

as I sent this last night, there was one word that was not included in the response to your work, "anchor".

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS