challenge 22 - Aug 2012

This post has 34 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 20 Aug 2012 3:16 PM

Geri- I like this. It's a good size support so you have a lot of area to cover. Using watercolor is a good choice for mixing colors. You could pep up the colors because I saw the peppers at a farm stand close to my home and they are really vivid but again it's a personal choice so forget I said that. Actually next time when I have time I will try painting them again in medium tone b/c I fell in love with the pepper colors and their natural shapes.

Miskit takes getting used to. Usually, I let it really dry first but not too long that it will stick to the paper. I lift it up with help from my exacto knife or painting knife. Some people use kneading eraser which is good help too, whatever works.

I like the way you added texture to the BG. Did you spray it or using salts?

Here is my redo and repost. I ended up moving the left lines inward in trying to make the Board receded. Now it looks better I think it may look a little overworked but this is Oil Pastel so I will leave it to set for a few days before I look at it again.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 20 Aug 2012 7:13 PM

Geri, I can see why you are pleased with this pepper painting.  You handled the watercolor very well.  The peppers are anchored well with dark shadows and the complementary colors in the background work nicely.  I like the texture of the background and wonder if you used salt to achieve it.  You used nice colors on the pepper. They are interesting since there are so many different shades and values.  Well done.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 20 Aug 2012 7:17 PM

Sandi, your pepper still life is looking better.  The cutting board reads better.  Once you are ready to apply more color, you may want to put down more shadow under the board to anchor it down.  I really like the warm colors of the vegetables and the shadows you added on the garlic bulb.  Very nice.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock Wink [;)] wrote
on 20 Aug 2012 7:35 PM

Hi Sandi this is the third time that I have tried to send this.  I get several lines typed and then blink they are gone.  Who knows.  I see you have done some work on your picture.  The shadows don't look as black and harsh and the angles are better.  Very nice.

You said that I should make my colors more vivid.  Well I had trouble with the pepper on the right.  IT JUST LOOKED FLAT.  I tried adding some yellow ocher but that didn't help much so I added a touch of purple to grey it down.  I got my shadows to give it form but lost my bright colors.  The original is a little brighter than what it shows in the picture.  The background is salt.  The forground was a little too wet to work but there is a little bit of texture.  The friskit problem I am having is that it leaves such a hard line.  That isn't too bad on peppers that have kind of a waxy reflective skin to them but if I was say painting tomatoes.  The highlight's on then is a soft glow and hard to paint with WC.

You mentioned falling in love with the pepper colors.  I know what you mean.  When I picked these they jugs screamed WATERCOLOR so how could I resist. ;)

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 20 Aug 2012 10:08 PM

Thank you Sammy.  I value your opinion.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2012 8:32 PM

Well I guess this is the last post on this months challange.  I must say that I was disapointed in the number of entries.  I hope it wassn't for personal resons and if it was I am sorry I didn't mean to step on any toes.  Any way this is my lighthouse.  It is a tinted ink drawing 5x7 on bristol  as always C&C is welcome.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 31 Aug 2012 9:07 PM
Geri, you have done a great job with this and the pen and ink were the perfect medium for it. I always have perspective problems when I try buildings but yours looks good. I think everyone has had a busy Summer and not been able to participate in the Challenge so much. I know I. Have and it is no reflection on your photos or hosting just life. Remember these challenges never actually run out anyone can do any of them any time. Thanks for all your efforts. I still want to have a go at your little girls I just haven't found my muse with all my traveling. Hopefully I will soon be back in form.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Aug 2012 10:03 PM

Jen that would be neet if you would do my grandaughters.  I would if I could do portraits.  I might have to try it anyway.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 31 Aug 2012 10:23 PM

Geri, your lighthouse drawing/painting has a nice fresh feel to it.  The sky is lovely.  I like the lines going in different directions on the nearest building.  Great fence and nice soft green for the grass.  When we get the grass too bright, it looks garish.  This one looks good.

Thanks for doing the Challenge this month.  The low participation has nothing to do with you.  It seems that everyone has been busy with other commitments.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,436
Points 23,080
Berkenstock wrote
on 1 Sep 2012 1:35 PM

Thanks for the good coments on my picture.  I hope that we get some action going this month on the challenge.  I look forward to doing it and when there isn't much action its kind of boreing.  I then don't want to do any painting.  I don't want to loose intrest in it because it gives me an insperation to do something rather than thinking I wish I had done something.  Hope to see .more of you and the others this month.

geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 1 Sep 2012 6:17 PM

Holly, do you have someone lined up to host the September Challenge?  I can post some photos if you don't have anyone.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Sep 2012 8:02 PM
I have some pictures too if you need them. Sometimes Holly is on FB maybe you can contact her that way. hope you are okay Holly.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Sep 2012 8:05 PM

Geri- I love your pen and ink drawing/painting. The color scheme is nice and soft. The sky is a lovely and refreshing blue and I like the way you did the tree. Good job.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 5 Sep 2012 1:45 PM

Hen House

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,842
Points 47,370
Turps245 wrote
on 5 Sep 2012 3:20 PM
James, good see you back! Nice work on the hen house. What size and medium? Looks as dry and worn out there as it is here these days.

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS