challenge 22 - Aug 2012

This post has 34 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 31 Jul 2012 11:03 PM

Welcome to ALL MEDIA PHOTO CHALLENGE – August, 2012

Challenge: Create artwork based on any or all of these photos and themes. Use any medium and any style. Stick to the photo(s) exactly or just use them as a starting point - feel free to change colors, composition, add or subtract elements or take a complete departure. In other words, HAVE FUN and keep painting!

Target Posting Date: August 1, 2012 – August 31, 2012

BE SURE TO POST YOUR WORK HERE IN THIS THREAD SO OUR CHALLENGES WON'T GET CONFUSED WITH EACH OTHER.

Another posting note: When you post your painting, be sure to “sign” your post with the name that you wish for participants to use when replying to your post. We are gaining new participants all the time and it is sometimes difficult to remember who posted what. An alternative would be to create a “signature line” that will automatically appear on each one of your posts. (If anyone needs instructions on how to do that, let Holly know and she will send instructions to you.)

(To submit photos and suggestions for these challenges, please start a "conversation" with Holly [holland2] here on this forum and attach your photo or photos. OR – volunteer to host the thread for a specific month. Check out the Volunteer Hosting Schedule thread.)

Happy Painting!

Challenges:

1. Monthly Theme: Something For Everyone. (I Hope)  (All photos were taken by me unless noted)

Two Peppers    Two peppers from the garden for you still life people.

Growing Wild  Wild daises for those who like flowers.

Waiting Their Turn  Horses from Mackinaw Island.

The Girls  This is Elana and Anelise my granddaughters Photo taken by my  son Ivan.

Mackinaw lighthouse    

J J, Noir, AND RUBY  Some of my daughters chickens

Rainbow Now you know where to find the golden egg.  In my daughters hen house ;)  This was taken by my grandson Carl Kroger.

HAPPY PAINTING, EVERYONE!!  Hope you enjoy.

Geri

By the way today is the good wife and my self's 40th anniversary I hope we at least make 50.

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 1 Aug 2012 6:23 PM

WOW - Great challenge photos!      And - - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your wife - I do hope you are celebrating!

Elana and Anelise are just adorable!  I love the peppers and the wildflowers.  The Macinaw Island horses and lighthouse are amazing.  Is that a double rainbow??  What a wonderful shot your grandson was able to capture.

Thank you so much for your wonderful photos and hosting this month!

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,967
Points 49,825
Turps245 wrote
on 1 Aug 2012 8:03 PM
Yea, you guys did it! Great pictures Geri thank you for hosting this month. Lovely little girls too. Hopefully I will get back in the groove when I get back from this next trip to the other grandchildren.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 1 Aug 2012 9:16 PM

Geri- This is a wonderful mix of interesting subjects for everyone. You are doing great for the first timer hosting. I had trouble in different way too and had to call Holly to work together almost through the night. But the subsequent one was a lot easier.

I will have to choose the ones that attract me the most but that's hard to classify. I like all of them, let see- the still life two peppers are looking great, so is the charming Elana and Anelise, and so is J.J. Noir and Ruby. I will have to draw a straw.

Happy 40 Anniversary Geri and your sweetheart, keep adding more years.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 644
Points 23,050
bernof wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 10:47 AM

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your wife, I made it to 50 with my first wife and Ruthie and I are working on our 3rd hoping to reach 50 Cool

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 7:48 PM

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes.  I hope you all enjoy the pictures.  I knew some like flowers some animals, portraits,landscapes and still life's so tried to find something that everybody might find something interesting.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 733
Points 12,375
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 10:32 PM

Love the pictures, I hope to see some good art from you all Mackinaw Island is a wonderful place for a vacation trip it is so pretty.  Also I just had my 40 year anniversary.  I may try to paint one of these pictures.  

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 18 Aug 2012 3:12 PM

Geri-- I finally finished my painting of this Challenge. I tried hard to finish it before I go out of town next week and I have done it. I used Acrylic as the underpainting and applied the Impasto technique on the two peppers with a knife but letting the brush do the rest of the painting. Finally I applied Oil Pastels to brighten up all over and finalize it. I was having fun doing the granite counter in purple just like what I saw in your photo but not quite. Somehow the Purple color turned into blue in the photo. My camera always does that. It turned any dark color that has blue in it into dark blue every time.

This is called (what else) "Peppers, Onions and Garlics"

Watercolor paper 140 lbs coated twice with Gesso

Oil Pastel, Erengi and Senn. with acrylic underpainting

Size is 9"X12"

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 18 Aug 2012 7:21 PM

Sandi, nice interpretation of the pepper reference photo in mixed media.  Great onions and garlic.  May I make just two comments.  First, the garlic cloves could use a little form shadows to give them shape.  Second, the board should get more narrow as it recedes, not wider.  Otherwise, this is a dynamite painting with great colors and interesting composition. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 18 Aug 2012 8:07 PM

Sandi very nice.  I agree with Sam about the perspective on the cutting board.  The only thing that bothers me is shadow on the garlic.the bulbs shadow seems to be wrong for the angle of the light source.  The cloves  shadows are less intense than the other shadows..

The cutting boards texture is very lifelike.  It looks like you can see the woodgrain.  I know what you mean about the color shift in the picture.  I have run into that myself (sometimes for the better).

I do have a question about putting gesso on.  Do you use a brush or a roller?

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,967
Points 49,825
Turps245 wrote
on 18 Aug 2012 9:09 PM
Sandi, great job on your interpretation of the still life. I like how you have made it your own. I am not so good at that. I really like your colours and the shapes look good together. I am still with the grandchildren. Just watched my granddaughter perform " Off to Olympus" a musical about the Greek gods. The kids did a great job and she played the Centaur and a fair maiden in the chorus. She rocked! So glad I was here to see it.

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 18 Aug 2012 9:30 PM

Its good to finally see some action on this forum.  It was like everyone took off for vacation.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 19 Aug 2012 6:53 AM

Sammy and Geri- Thanks both for the suggestions, would you believe I moved the lines on the top right hand inward twice already and it's measured more than half an inch shorter than the bottom lines. It still looks like it is longer so now I moved it in again after your suggestions, if it still doesn't look right, I will have to taper the left side line inward. I left it where it was because I want room to show the shadow of the onion. Will post the redo after I photograph it. Could be this evening since I have to go out now. 

Jen--Glad you are having a good time with your grandchildren and still have time to drop in. Miss seeing your artwork. Hope to see it soon.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 19 Aug 2012 6:57 AM

Geri- I used the roller and clear Gesso since I drew the picture with acrylic as an underpainting first.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,581
Points 25,395
Berkenstock wrote
on 19 Aug 2012 8:56 PM

Well I finally got WC that I am proud of.  I know its not perfect but for me its great.  Its 2 Peppers and it is12 x 16 on 140# arches rough.  I have not got the hang of maskit yet the highlights look a little funny.  Let me know what you think.  My feelings don't get hurt.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS