Brick and Block Buildings....Any Tips?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 22 Jul 2012 9:36 PM

I just started painting a few weeks ago and decided to start with acrylics. I'm in the middle of doing a castle and will need to try to get the block-look on the walls of the castle and the one retaining wall. Anyone have any advise on how to do the block and make it look halfway decent. I'm laying down the base shades as a solid color now, but will soon be going back and trying to add the block work. So, any tips, pointers, or tricks? Thanks.

- Terry

If anyone is interested, this is how it looked last night, but I'm a bit further along with it today...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 31 Dec 2012 9:21 PM

The castle has been sitting in the corner of the room and hasn't gotten much further along than it was in the above picture. I am in the middle of an old grist mill and think I stumbled across a way to make the block/brickwork look halfway decent. If I am happy with the end product of this mill, I may go back to the castle...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,775
peebee44 wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 7:49 PM

Hi Kramer, the best advice I can give you is put a little more colour variation in the bricks and you don't have to paint each stone etc. just represent them. The boulders are very good, now the same approach to the bricks. Here is an idea of what I mean...

Hope this helps.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

www.paulbennettfineart.com

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 7 Jan 2013 9:44 PM

Thanks for the pointer, Paul.

I had been looking at paintings of buildings and stone/brick bridges the last few days and have noticed just what you are talking about and as you show in your painting. With these bricks and blocks, I painted a base color, went back with a lighter color with a brush about the width that I wanted them to be, made little dabs of lighter color, and then added darker accents for the motor lines in a somewhar sporadic manner. It didn't take anywhere near as long as I thought it would.

Thanks for the compliment on the boulders. I got that technique from a video on Youtube and is similar to how I see people paint flowers, such as roses. I've only used the technique in three of my paintings, so I am still trying to get the hang of it.

BTW, this is the finished version of my old mill...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,775
peebee44 wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 4:07 PM

That's very good Kramer, just remember to study the subject and see how many colours you can see. Even the trees and water need light and dark.

The more you look at someting the more you will see. Example, shadow is under the eaves so also needs to be on the right side of the building and rocks in the water. I hope I'm not being too picky.  Good job , keep going.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 325
Kramer_Krazy wrote
on 9 Jan 2013 9:52 PM

Yes, You are correct. I did realize that I forgot the shadows on the eaves on the right side and have been debating going back and adding it. I did not think about the rocks in the water, though, but they can use some shadowing, also, as it will give the foreground more depth and help reduce the 2D, cartoonish look.

Thanks for these additional pointers. I'm slowly progressing, but at least I am progressing.  Wink

Edit - I still think I could greatly benefit from taking some lessons. I need to find someone locally with the attention to detail and ability to provide constructive criticism as you do. I need to go to some of the local galleries and see if there is anyone good at realism who teaches around here.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 2,775
peebee44 wrote
on 10 Jan 2013 3:21 PM

Google your local area for art societies, there's bound to be some handy and the social side of it relaxes you while you learn.

Paul

www.acrylic-artist.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS