Probably a Dumb question…

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 403
Points 6,565
Trusted Users
on 26 Mar 2009 7:27 AM
But then, I need your advice on this. I have just completed a plein air/studio watercolor on a Fredrix watercolor canvas board - I started it plein air using my Cottman watercolors at one of our nature parks, but it was too light in most areas, so I have been working with opaque watercolors and adding detail and darker colors to finish it. Would this then be considered a watercolor piece or a mixed media because I used opaque watercolors? And how should it be matted/framed for display? Thanks experts!!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,800
Trusted Users
on 26 Mar 2009 7:49 AM

What kind of opaque watercolor did you use?  Acrylic or gouache? Chinese White?

When I use gouache, I usually call it that or opague watercolor.  When I use acrylic, I call it an acrylic - even if there is transparent watercolor underneath. But that's just how I choose to state it.

There is spray made specifically for watercolor canvas that fixes the painting so that you can frame it like an oil - no matting or glass. Perhaps you can go to Fredrix's web site and fine more out about framing.

Anyone else out there been painting on watercolor canvas? How do you fix and frame these?

www.loriwords.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 403
Points 6,565
Trusted Users
on 26 Mar 2009 11:41 AM
Thanks Lori for giving a response so quickly. It was gouache with transparent underneath. I will get the spray - no matting or glass sounds appealing to me, especially considering my tight budget these days!
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 810
Points 16,800
Trusted Users
on 26 Mar 2009 11:54 AM

Well, I'd say it's watercolor and gouache, or if you wanna make it simple.... opague watercolor.

I haven't used that particular spray myself, so read the manufactuer's instructions.  If it were me, I'd spray a light intial coat on to fix it and then a second coat when that's dry.  I get nervous when I suggest things I haven't used myself.

I use Golden UV resistant spray and varnish for my watercolors but they're on paper. I tend not to frame with glass.

www.loriwords.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS