Challenge #21 -- July, 2012

This post has 69 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Aug 2012 6:51 PM

Marsha- Things do happen to us that keep us so busy at times. I too have been busy but luckily not too much to handle. Sorry to hear about the robbing and an accident at your concert. Having your granddaughter over must have cheered you up a little. Glad that you can come back here to close off your hosting of the month.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Aug 2012 7:00 PM

Jen- So nice to have you back even if it's for a short time. I like your sketches, they are loose and fresh, I can never do that. Mine are always tight and mundane, uninteresting since they lack spontaneity.  I realized that fact but can't change my style. Some days I will try to work loose. Hope you will have more fun with the second set of Grands and come back refreshed.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 4 Aug 2012 7:13 PM

Joyce- Glad to have you popping back in, also to know that your house is back in order. Come back to paint with us again soon.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 9 Aug 2012 5:14 PM

Jen, thanks for sharing your drawings.  It's good that you managed to get some artwork done during this hectic time.  You did capture the gesture of the girl and her wind blown hair.  I agree that the dog is well done.

Hope all is going well with you and that you get back to us soon.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
DaBaDee wrote
on 23 Sep 2012 11:49 PM

F. Dunn, Beautifully done I love your eagle.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 65
Points 2,335
on 26 Jan 2013 12:22 AM

Well, this has been sitting on my easel since last July. Figured I'd finally take the plunge and finish it. I've been doing most of my painting at the Art association studio, but it's time to get more done here at home, including getting some challenges done.

This is Marsha's granddaughter picking up stones for the July 2012 challenge. It was tough for me to finish since my portrait skills lack the knowledge of 'rules of all those face and body proportion stuff'.

I see that my version looks older, from what I can see it's the size of the shoulders and shape of the head that seem to make her about 5 years older :)

11x14 Oil on stretched canvas. Limited palette of Cerulean Blue, Prussian Blue, Cadmium Yellow, Magenta and Titanium White.

Dave

AKA Grizzly Painter...

C&C Welcome

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,700
on 26 Jan 2013 12:32 AM

Dave, I agree that the shoulders are broad for a young girl.  I think you did well with the limited palette.   The face was difficult and you did a good job.  The hair looks good and so do the jeans.  I like your soft background.  I'm glad that you're at work in your studio again.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,991
Points 50,335
Turps245 wrote
on 26 Jan 2013 12:37 AM
Dave , good to see you back again. Yes her shoulders grew. You had her in the initial underpainting but that happens sometimes. I know this is a tricky reference especially the angle of her head. You have the gesture though and the colours and shading looks good. Everything is a learning experience. Hope you will be able to join us here more often.

Jen C & C's always welcome

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,250
wetpaperfan wrote
on 27 Jan 2013 5:09 PM

HELLOLOOOOO David,   Nice to see you again....   Wow you didn't forget.   I am amazed you stayed with it.  Yes the shoulders are a bit wide which makes her look older, (which she is now anyway)  but the jeans and the hair are great,   the shirt is good too.  you captured the essence of the moment.  Thank you for posting this,   I have pulled up another picture of her and am contemplating doing it but my contemplations turn into procrastinations...  lots  and lots of procrastinations.   I still have a rough sketch of Sam's granddaughter Hayden and Jens Curly One that I never finished...    Stay in touch....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,052
Points 46,410
on 5 Feb 2013 1:14 AM

Dave, I just saw your portrait of Marsha's granddaughter. For being out of your comfort zone, you certainly did a nice job on it! To my mind, that was a diffult subject because of the foreshortening of the arm and the face looking down in the photo. You captured the face and hair (which I love) and the foreshortened arm, as well as a beautiful representation of the denim in the jeans. I hope we see more of you!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Page 5 of 5 (70 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5 | RSS