Challenge #21 -- July, 2012

This post has 69 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jul 2012 1:10 PM

Frederick, welcome to Artist Daily All Media Photo Challenge.  We are a small group who enjoys showing our art and receiving critiques.  I read your bio and am impressed.  It seems that art has played a major role in your life.

Your eagle is fantastic.  His eyes are so realistic and alive  The feathers also look realistic..  I'm assuming this is a graphite piece.  What size is it??

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jul 2012 4:47 PM

Frederick,  welcome .   You eagle is absolutely fantastic....   WOW!   I love it.  what medium,,  it looks graphite.   what pencils do you  use and what paper.   I love doing graphite but just recently (in the last year) have gotten into it.   Your feathers are so clean and the shading on the beak is remarkable.   I hope you stay with us....

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jul 2012 4:57 PM

Sandi,  I love what you did with my little Jackson and his buddy.   I will send a copy of this to my daughter.   I can tell you live near palm trees....   tee hee.   hardly any palms where they live, and this picture was taken in the Sierra mountains where they go camping, she will get a kick out of it....   For sure I truly liked it.   thanks

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 16 Jul 2012 5:04 PM

Frederick,  we promise not to tell you wife.   but please stay with us...   What type of camera are you using in your avatar,  it looks kinda like mine.   do you have a photograph blog?

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
on 16 Jul 2012 9:56 PM

In that particular photo, I believe I was carrying the Nikon D3s and D700

I'm just wrapping up my day this moment... sorry, I didn't intend to ignore anyone :)

I always carry at least two as I don't have time to change lenses...   I don't have a blog, just my website www.FrederickDunn.com

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
on 16 Jul 2012 10:06 PM

graphite on cold pressed water color paper... but I'm apt to do renderings on anything, including slick printer paper. 

thank you

I do cross hatching as I work it in, then rub the beak or eyes with a stump just enough to provide textural contrast... I try to leave feathers worked in rough and build the background from the feather edges out and back to random cross hatching with a smudge here and there

I also sketch with derwent watercolor pencils (personal favorite) as the pigment is dense, strong and leaves the option to advance into a wash later if I feel the need... thus the use of watercolor paper.   I picked up some blocks of watercolor paper at an art store in NYC...  expensive but worth it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,427
Points 22,915
Berkenstock wrote
on 16 Jul 2012 11:08 PM

A very fine drawing sir.  I hope to be able to do as well someday.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 Jul 2012 8:29 PM

Frederick- Welcome to our little corner here. Glad you joined us. Your artwork shows your passion in featherly living things. Great job too. The eyes are spectacular. they are really beautiful with depth and light reflection. The feathers are very nicely done, lots of textures and contours, the whole painting looks 3D almost like a photograph. Love the background that doesn't create contrast but goes along with the subject nicely. This is the look of a pro job.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 17 Jul 2012 8:37 PM

Frederick- Welcome to our little corner here. I made a good size paragraph complimenting your work and  the page said my writing has to be approved by the staff before it's approved or denied. This is the second time this happening to me after another nice compliment to another artist and I never used harsh words or questionable words. Let's see whether it will be approved. Otherwise from now on I will write short paragraphs and simple words, i.e. your work is good, I like it.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
on 2 Aug 2012 8:48 AM

Thank you Sandi,

You have a very good eye yourself and I appreciate your observations... yes, I have made a living in the past as an illustrator and painter, so I appreciate the comment that it appears like a "pro job"...

I've also taught Art and Design for Business at a technical school...  unfortunately, traditional arts have taken a back seat in my life as I am now completely consumed by photography and post production editing.

During the winter months when things are a tad slower, I do like to venture back into the studio and refresh my more traditional skill set...  hopefully, I will have more time for this group then and can continue to contribute something now and then.

Thanks again for such a great comment and I hope to be back soon...

Fred

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,821
Points 46,965
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 1:27 AM

Welcome Frederick. Good to see your art here. You do beautiful works.

Marsha nice job on the eagle too.

Geri well done with you sketch.

Susanne very patriotic.

will have to go back to comment on the rest.

I am afraid it beat me but I just had one evening when things were quiet and I wasn't totally brain dead. I am showing my efforts just so you know I tried. I am off to the othe grands on Tuesday so maybe after i get back from them I can get back into the groove.

I just couldn't get your granddaughter right and the boy is not any better. poor dog looks like road kiill!!! Still I tried for what it is worth!

Jen C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,821
Points 46,965
Turps245 wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 1:30 AM

Joyce good to see you popping in to give us some fourth spirit.

Dave good effort on the girl. She is not easy I know. She ate my lunch!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 3:36 PM

JEN -  I love your sketches....  I love that you captured both of them,  The dog is fine,  just the back right leg needs to come into the belly.   I think he looks wet as he always does on any  trip he makes that is near water.    Welcome back,  I have been away as well, I have really been remiss....  The second weekend of July we had a series of devastating events happened at the club.  First we were robbed in the middle of the night...  they broke into the slot machines,   then the following day a lady and her husband were coming into one of my big band concerts and fell on the stairs, sadly she died the next day due to a Cerebral Hemorrhage.  I have been so busy talking to lawyers and insurance people. and on top of that I am on a time crunch trying to get out the Live Recording  2 CD set of one of the Orchestras.  As well I had a granddaughter show up for a three day basketball tournament.  I feel like all the breath has been taken out of me for this month.....   I haven't done anything since the eagle sketch and it was my month to host.  

So to everyone,  thank you to those that hung in there by stopping in and by participating this month.   See you Next time.     Marsha

MARSHA

C & C Always Welcome

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 722
Points 12,190
Joyce Lydia wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 10:16 PM

Jen your sketching is as good.  I miss being here with you all; my goal is to have the house back up and running by Monday.  All the workmen have done their jobs and so now it is my turn to unpack and put things back.  A lot has happen in a short time from water damage to me falling down the stairs with my china and breaking every last piece but it is all behind me.  I was unpacking today my art supplies. Still have a few more boxes to go and I will be done with all.  On the lighter side I am cooking mac and cheese in the morning to take over to my daughters house for them to eat and freeze.  I will be back for the next challenge so please have a picture that isn’t too hard of a challenge for me.  

Joyce

All C & C's always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,821
Points 46,965
Turps245 wrote
on 4 Aug 2012 1:21 AM
Marsha how awful the woman died and how sad. She didn't even get to see the show. Then a robery on top of it.Sounds like your life has been way more insane than mine. At least your granddaughter visiting was a little ray of sunshine. Thanks for the kind words on my sketches. Joyce thank you too. Falling down the stairs!!! Girl as long as it was just the china that broke!! You two take care of yourselves! I am off again on Tuesday and will be back at the end of the month. All of you stay safe and I will try too!

Page 4 of 5 (70 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS