Challenge #21 -- July, 2012

This post has 69 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 8 Jul 2012 12:36 PM

Dave--Looking very good so far, you got the frame of the girl right after that it will be easy. Can't wait to see how you do water, you are always great with it. Want to know how you mix your colors for water.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 10 Jul 2012 8:58 PM

Here is another submission for this month.  It is 8x10 colord pencil on mat board.  I discoverd that this wasn't as easy to draw as I thought it would be.  It ismy first try with coloed pencils.  please comment.

Geri

How does Moses make tea??  Hebrews it.

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,435
Points 20,930
J.V.Schaffer wrote
on 11 Jul 2012 8:14 AM

Geri the colors are great BG is great but  you must not be using any type of grid system I can't paint without one criticaly the beak should be to the edges of the eyes with a definate frown  same with the corners of the eyes I still really like the coloring I know that you are not happy with a less than honest critique if you weren't in to realism this could stand on its own                     James

for a first attempt with colored pencils its fantastic

Jim C&C welcomed

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 11 Jul 2012 12:51 PM

James I do appreciate an honest opinion.  I didn't realize the beak not being out to the eyes.  I had trouble with the eye on the left.  I erased it 3 or 4 times  and it still isn't at the correct angle.  I could not figure how to get the stare right without it being too much black  causing that to be an unwanted focal point.  The eyes themselves do that.  With each mistake I learn so maybe the next one will be better.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 11 Jul 2012 8:05 PM

Geri- Wow, this is looking good to me. love the colors that goes well with the background. The pencil lines are delicate I couldn't tell it's pencils until I read your info. I really love the eyes too, they look like he(?) is looking right at you. As far as the scale and such, I wouldn't know about it much, never seen an Eagle up close and personal so can not critique on realism. I am just looking at what I like. Good job for first timer in pencil.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 643
Points 23,060
bernof wrote
on 12 Jul 2012 12:35 PM

Hi Geri ,Nice job especially for the first time around with colored pencil,I like what I see

Fred

Blue Ridge Mountains Art Center

Southern Appalachian Artists Guild 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 12 Jul 2012 2:35 PM

Geri, kudos for trying and showing a new medium. You said it is done on mat board. Is it colored mat board? The background looks super and is a good choice of color for this guy.  You did a good job with the feathers and wisely used the background color for the shadows.  The eyes look great.  Adjusting the width of the beak is all that it needs.  Well done first colored pencil piece. 

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Jul 2012 2:36 PM

Thank you Sandi and Fred I am glad you both enjoyed it.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 12 Jul 2012 9:43 PM

Hello everyone,  I do so apologize for not being around.  I ended up with some real health conflicts that I had to sort out.

I really have enjoyed watching and reading everything to catch up... 

I am so waiting to see the finished Aubrey gathering stones....

Sam, Sandi, you are sooo good at critiqueing...  Thanks 

Geri,  I love your eagle in color pencil.  Great Job.

It so happens I have done an eagle drawing myself.  Just 2-B pencil on a piece of copy paper...

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Jul 2012 9:46 PM

Thank you Sammi.  Complements like that from someone who has pretty well mastered the medium (no body every truly masters it as there is always something to learn) Mean a lot to me.  It was brown mat board  and it wasn't as nice as it looks in the picture.  It is just a flat color

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,445
Points 23,260
Berkenstock wrote
on 12 Jul 2012 9:52 PM

You have the width of the beak down pat and have captured There stare too.  I could not get the eyes right especially the one on the left. The only thing that bothers me is I think you should have brought your shadow up farther because the top of his head disappears.   Good job.

Geri

Geri

C and C always welcomed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 13 Jul 2012 6:20 AM

Marsha, this is a very nice graphite drawing.  Good play of darks and lights in his body.  He has such a sinister look that I hope to never meet him face to face.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 14 Jul 2012 7:57 PM

Marsha- I am happy to hear that you are o.k. from health issues and coming in with a nice drawing of the Eagle. I think it looks pretty good and you have done it with merely a no. 2 pencil on a copy paper. Wow... how good it would look if you were to do it with carbon pencils or other drawing pencils on a nice drawing paper. The eyes have it, the bird looks so ferocious as if it was mad enough to come beat you up.

I have just finished my work on your grandson fishing with his companion. As I was working on him I was thinking that how much fun he was having and enjoying the outdoor sport with his beloved best friend.

I am calling this piece "Best Friends Gone Fishing".

Pen and Ink and a little of watercolor on 140 lbs. cold press watercolor paper.

Image size is 8"X10"

Right Hug Sandi

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 125
on 16 Jul 2012 9:07 AM

Ok, this is my first time here and my wife would toss me if she found out I was here instead of doing my work, but I was captivated momentarily and did this version of the eagle...  I'm a chicken guy and find feathered animals easy to render... like sketching people with lots of hair and men with beards.  Nice forum!

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 16 Jul 2012 12:58 PM

Sandi, it's interesting that you used color for the figure and the remainder of the work is sketched.  That technique really makes the figures stand out.  Since the dog is the only thing that is fully painted, he really stands out as the focal point.  You captured the mood of the boy and his dog enjoying a day together fishing.

Page 3 of 5 (70 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS