Your favorite art books

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 17 Mar 2012 9:23 AM

What's your favorite art book (that is not a how-to book.) Maybe it deals with the artist attitude, philosophy, an artist's notes, an artist's life, etc.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,935
Jay Babina wrote
on 29 Mar 2012 3:00 PM

Richard Schmid "The Landscapes"   In my estimation nothing is even close. It's an anthology of his magnificent landscape and cityscape work accompanied by small stories about the locations, attitudes and travels which in not so many words, says a lot.

http://adaynotwasted.com/2009/12/richard-schmid-the-landscapes-book-review/

Howard Terpning book on his work which is accompanied by his study of the American Indians and their rituals along with his stunning work.

Howard is a fantastic portrait artist, landscape artist and brilliant compositional master all rolled into one - even if you don't like western art

http://www.prints.com/prints.php/Howard_Terpning/Solitude/?artist_id=14&print_id=26397

To me, nothing says more about an artist than their work. The books I mention above I not only read, but study over and over.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 2 Aug 2012 5:59 PM

I've debated about getting that Schmid book, are the reproductions of high quality?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,935
Jay Babina wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 6:48 AM

Not only are they good, but the diversification of his work, the various styles and mastery will knock you out. There's no book on landscape painting even close. After you get it, let me know how you feel.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 3 Aug 2012 5:40 PM

I ordered the paperback book. I am concerned that I noticed some negative reviews about the reproduction quality of the images. I hope I get a book that has quality prints. I should get it in about a week.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 11 Aug 2012 7:22 AM

Wow Jay, I am so happy I bought this  and didn't listen to some of the comments about the supposed poor reproductions. Yes, there are a few older ones, but the mastery is amazing, the brush stokes - superb!! I had a busy evening last night and was only able to look through the first half of the book!I really appreciate the way Schmid has a painterly quality while maintaining the form.

Yesterday I learned of an artist David Shevlino. I think I've seen a couple of his works but did not know his name. Be sure to watch the utube video of the sumo wrestlers. I was amazed because he brought me back about twenty years when I was a student trying to capture movement and loose brush strokes. The book came at a perfect time.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,935
Jay Babina wrote
on 11 Aug 2012 6:52 PM

I love those horse and buggy paintings and the one of the horse with all the people a lot like a period painting. Every now and then I leaf through it not to copy anything but for inspiration to work harder and to not accept the normal.

Go to my website and email me.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS