Plein air Painting in the Rain

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 275
on 6 Mar 2012 9:19 PM

Wildlife Refuge, (12x17) oil on linen

Chincoteague, Before the Storm (16x20) oil on linen 

Who says you can't paint in the rain?  both of these were painted very quickly as the storm approached in Chincoteague Island, Va  and Assateague Wildlife Refuge in the rain     Corot   quote:   (paraphrased).............  You can see Nature best in the rain......

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 7 Mar 2012 9:49 PM

"...as the storm approached..." Yep I tried painting in the rain once. Water splashing off my palette, two useless umbrellas. I couldn't even see my canvas with all the beaded water...  lol  I like the "storm approaching" approach though. Nice job. I prefer the top one technically, but the "dock" and trees draw me into the bottom painting. I really feel as if a storm is approaching.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 275
on 7 Mar 2012 10:47 PM

Hi Kat,  Thank you, glad you like the paintings.  Yes, it is a challenge painting when the wind is blowing and the rain starts coming down.  I was under an overhang of a building, so I had a little tiny cover for the top painting but  the one on the dock I was right out there and  I felt like I might be blown off at any minute.  Kind of scary. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
on 21 Mar 2012 10:57 AM

I love the rain, nope I have not painted in it, just close calls painting approaching storms at sea.  I must say I love the one on the bottom best because the clouds look like you are in the midst of the storm. The tree shapes are so expressive suiting the mood, they are beautifully done. I like the water, the wave coming in with the blue spot drawing the eye and the reds near the shore. All in all I think you captured the mood and why I love the rain. Aleada Siragusa

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Paula Wheat wrote
on 5 Jul 2012 12:56 PM

Which linen do you recommend?

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 275
on 6 Jul 2012 10:15 PM

Hello Aleada,  Thank you for your kind comments.  I am very interested in capturing a "mood".  I used to think rainy days were meant for staying inside until we started travelling to Ireland where it rains quite alot.  You just have to get used to it.  I actually like the "grayness" that rain brings.  Corot said that "you can see Nature's true colors in the rain"  I think he's right. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 275
on 6 Jul 2012 10:17 PM

Hi Paul,  hen I can afford it I buy Clausens double primed #15.  It is rather expensive though so I make do with Fredericks or Van Gogh brand (I think it is called).  I am going to start buying raw linen and priming it myself again.  I used to do this but got kind of lazy. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 100
Points 3,375
aliasghar wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 2:34 PM

Let's go down in the rain to feel the air.

Let mature / under every plant that wants to shake.

Your painting is beautiful because it is accompanied by feelings of

Following the instinct to put the game away -. Curtain will draw all of your heart

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS