Removing Glossy (Shiny) Element to Oil Painting

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 155
on 27 Feb 2012 11:18 AM

I've just about completed an oil painting, but the rock wall formation near a water source has turned out much too glossy or shiny .  I've tried repainting elements of it with different type paints, but the shine remains.  How might I remove the shine other than merely using a glaze when dry?  I'm looking to make the wall look old, rather than new.  The shine/gloss suggests to the viewer the wall is new.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Points 5,475
WFMartin wrote
on 4 Mar 2012 6:17 PM

Although I don't use them, matte or satin varnishes are available for oil paintings.  I use a more glossy one.  One should really rely upon a varnish to achieve the final sheen of an oil painting, rather than trying to select paints or mediums that will create the effect.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
moebean wrote
on 9 Mar 2012 5:16 PM

I believe oiling out is what you want to do. A vanish should not be used to try to balance a piece, it is simply a final coating and may result in the opposite effect of what you are trying to do. Oiling out will remove the 'sunkin"areas of your panting and blend them into the more shiny areas. Make sure you apply once the painting is sufficiently dry.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
judyrockey wrote
on 16 Mar 2012 7:15 AM

I am new to oil painting, but i just found a product that you can use with your oil paints, or over the top of the finsihed oil painting..

.  The advantage over varnishing is you can use the product without waiting 6 months.  Ir ia Dorland wax medium

I have only used it once but it helped and I am happy with the results

Judy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 602
Points 11,970
on 18 Mar 2012 6:50 PM

This sounds interesting, judyrockey. I'm just moving from acrylics to oil, and I understand the Dorland's gives a matter finish to the oils, which I would like. I would be interested to know if you've found this to be the case, and also how your final 'varnish' layer works out.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS