What am I doing wrong?

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
newtoart wrote
on 11 Jan 2012 10:22 PM

Okay, so obviously I am a beginner.  I really enjoy drawing - I like sort of getting lost in it.  But then when I look at my work, it's wrong.  I don't know what is wrong.  I think the proportions?  I am finding photographs that I like online and using that as my reference.   All of these were young women but they look (especially the first and the third) like young girls.  WHY?  I am driving myself crazy.  I really need some help folks.  Oh, also on the last one - I know her head looks way too small.  In the photo that I was working from it was a totally black background and you could just see a few wisps of hair.  I guess I wasn't sure how to convey that without it looking like she only had a face without the rest of her head.  Please tell me if I am doing anything right.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
OPeterson wrote
on 12 Jan 2012 8:24 AM

You are not doing anything "wrong" , but I would suggest that you work from life, not photos. The main thing that you're doing correctly is looking at your drawings and asking questions about making them better. As long as you do that your drawings will improve. Just keep drawing, keep practicing. Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,735
eubie wrote
on 12 Jan 2012 12:32 PM

I see some really good raw talent. Take some good drawing classes if you can, but keep on drawing and looking at other professional drawings. S

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
William4 wrote
on 12 Jan 2012 5:17 PM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

try some cast drawing if life models are not available to work with to improve your proportions. just practice, keep up the good work, eye and hand coordination does improve

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 822
Points 12,605
philo.yan wrote
on 16 May 2012 8:04 AM

Hi,  I am a beginner myself and I think there is no wrong or right to a drawing.  When I draw, my goal  is to achieve realism. To draw

a human face is a challenge because of the details you have to focus on.  The lines have to be correctly placed.  The ears, eyes, nose

and mouth must be proportionate.  Eg. The space between the eyebrows is equivalent to the length of the eyes.  The nose is the length of

2 eyes and the space between the tip of the nose and the upper lip is the length of one eye.  The curve of the upper ear should be the same

level as the eyebrow.  The slightest deviation will make the drawing disproportionate. I get my feedback from a friend of mine who has an

eye for details.  With her suggestions, I could improve my drawings. I find that I draw animals better because I only have to focus on getting

the shape and fur right.  I hope my input can be of help to you.  I believe that to improve we must persist and practice, practice, practice.  Good Luck!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS