Crescent Premium Hi-Line Hot Press Board

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
Points 1,095
newcraft wrote
on 7 Jan 2012 2:08 PM

can you paint on such a smooth surface?  If so can you use all media paints?

thank you, artists

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 614
Points 5,330
on 15 Jan 2012 10:38 AM

Hi Newcraft—

Cresent Hi-line Hot Press Illustration Board is an ultra-white, acid free illustration board with a smooth, plate finish. It was created for sharp, clean pen-and-ink lines, paste-up for camera-ready art and airbrush work. You asked," Can you paint on such a smooth surface?" I'll try to answer that question in reference to waterbased media. Yes, it is possible to paint on this surface with most waterbased media. However, the surface is unique and the results will be different than what you would expect when working on cold press illustration board or watercolor paper.

The surface is not sized and it is not very absorbant. It is difficult to build up color through successive washes and the paper is not made to accept much water. Since it is a medium-weight illustration board, it is basically a thin premium sheet of paper mounted on a cardboard backing board. The top sheet is acid-free but the backing board may not be. One plus for some artists is that watercolor painted on a smooth surface like this will lift easily to create various striking effects. 

If you are interested in painting with waterbased paint on a smooth surface, I believe you are much better off working on Strathmore 4 or 6 ply plate finish paper or hot press watercolor paper. 

Cresent Hi-line Hot Press Illustration Board is a great working surface for clean, crisp ink drawings. I also like this paper and Strathmore plate finish for some pencil techniques.

Paul Sullivan

http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 74
Points 1,095
newcraft wrote
on 20 Jan 2012 7:17 PM

Thank you Paul.  I bought art supplies from someone and the items included a few of these boards.  I paint with acrylic.  You mentioned that any water based 

paint will give different results.  I draw but in pencil.  These boards also appear difficult to hang.  Thanks again for you response.  

Jeannette

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 614
Points 5,330
on 28 Jan 2012 4:51 PM

Jeannette—

What I mentioned was — while it is possible to paint on Cresent Hi-Line hot press board with waterbased media, the results may not be what you would expect if you were painting on cold press illustration board or watercolor paper. 

However, it may be easier to work on this type of board with acrylics than with other waterbased media. Technically, you can paint with acrylics on just about any type of surface—with the exception of a surface painted with oil based paint. I've used acrylics since they were introduced. Back then, some artists were painting acrylics on newsprint—just because it was possible. In the late 60s some illustrators were painting with acrylics on foam board. Once on a painting trip I ran out good illusration board and did a painting with acrylics on corrugated cardboard. I would not recommend any of these surfaces but it is possible to work on them. Actually, the only way to see if you can acheive the results you want is to experiment.

Your best bet is to work on surfaces that are recommended for acrylics. If you just want to experiment—try anything and see wnat happens.

Paul Sullivan

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS