teaching art / oil painting

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 365
on 3 Jan 2012 11:13 PM

I'VE BEEN ASKED TO TEACH ART AND OR OIL PAINTING. I HAVE PAINTED A LONG TIME AND HAVE SOLD MANY PAINTINGS. NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT TEACHING,  I DON'T MIND TEACHING PERSPECTIVE AND DISTANCE. CONTOURS OF THE OBJECTS., BUT TO TEACH EVERYONE TO PAINT LIKE ME ,NO.  EVERYONE SHOULD DEVELOP THEIR OWN STYLE.

I'M FROM MICH AND WENT TO LOCAL ART AND CRAFTS SHOWS.  ONE VERY GOOD ARTIST CAME TO THE SHOWS ALSO. HE TAUGHT ART ALSO.  WHEN YOU GO SEE ALL THE ARTIST WORKS YOU COULD TELL WHO TAUGHT THEM. THEY MIXED COLORS AND TECHNIQUE WAS JUST LIKE HIS. 

I HAVE NO IDEA AS WHAT OR HOW TO CHARGE.  I WISH I HAD A PLACE TO SAY COME PAINT WITH ME. HELP THEM WHEN THEY ASK.  THEY WOULD BASICALLY BUILD THEIR OWN TECHNIQUE.  I COULD USE THE EXTRA MONEY  BUT IT DON'T SEEM RIGHT TO CHARGE SOMEONE FOR SOMETHING GOD GIVE ME.   THANK YOU.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 487
Points 3,740
on 4 Jan 2012 3:40 PM

Hi Ed,

It's your time—don't charge them if you don't want to. 

One of the finest things you can do with the talent and experience you have is to pass it on to someone else. 

Paul Sullivan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 585
Points 7,115
KatPaints wrote
on 4 Jan 2012 8:29 PM

"BUT IT DON'T SEEM RIGHT TO CHARGE SOMEONE FOR SOMETHING GOD GIVE ME."

So did God give you the bad painting days when you struggled and nothing seemed to go right? Did God tell you to poorly compose that work or make poor choices in design. Did you pop out of the womb with literal paintbrushes in hand? or did you develop the skill over time? Did you learn the vocabulary of perspective, contour, and other descriptive words by listening to others and maybe purchasing or borrowing some books? Does your drawing/painting skill look the same as it did twenty years ago or has it developed over time? Have you ever taken paid classes, workshops, or been taught by a teacher employed in the public schools? Did your parents' taxes ever go towards you learning anything?

Many of us were born with the potential to develop skills towards artistic endeavors. Some people are wired to do mathematics, learn medicine, or develop other skills. For some reason, people brush off the arts as something that they are "blessed" with, but overlook how they have messed up along the way, been persistent developing their skills, or made some just plain bad decisions. People help people, that's plain and simple. We usually reward people who help us or provide a service by paying them. If you want to donate your time and talent, fine that's OK. Do it because that it what you truly want to do. Avoid doing this because you are feeling awkward and uncertain about dealing with money and not dealing with money is just easier. But realize money is a good thing. It affords us shelter, food, the ability to travel, take care of ourselves and even share. Some of the most generous people are also wealthy.  There is nothing wrong with money or being paid for your efforts. I think artists need to learn that it is OK to be paid. You worked for it!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 365
on 4 Jan 2012 9:55 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  I APPRECIATE THAT.  YOU COVERED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING. I GUESS IT'S LIKE THE FARMER THAT WAS TOLD HOW GOD BLESSED HIM WITH SUCH A BEAUTIFUL  FARM. THE FARMER YES BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE I GOT IT.  MAKES SENSE.

WHAT IS NORMAL FOR GIVING LESSONS. OR IS IT JUST BY TIME SPEND.?  IT WOULD HELP TO MAKE SOMETHING.  I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO FEEL THE STUDENTS OUT AS TO WHAT THEY CAN PAY.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 3,935
Jay Babina wrote
on 25 Jan 2012 1:01 PM

One of the things that's interesting with teaching is that the teacher is a student of teaching as well. I work with a school and 50% of the fee goes to the school. 

http://www.theartistsviewgallery.com/artists-view-artists.html

8 classes are 192. = 24 per class  (3 hours)  I get $12 per student. Obviously, we try to get 8 - 10 students in a class. The minimum amount of people is up to me. I have taught one person watercolor because they wanted me to and I couldn't find a few more students. The rewards are still great and I enjoy working with this person. I do a few private students too and that is usually $25 but I try to gather 3 to meet at someone's house. No Swiss bank account needed. You will be a good teacher if money doesn't rule your decisions and you are flexible to what people want and never force styles on them. I also teach people for free. I'm not a lecturer or a "do as I say" person - I do demos and paint with them all the time. . Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 120
trumantesta wrote
on 7 Sep 2012 7:35 AM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

One of the best thing is that you want to share your experience and knowledge with the student. every person have their own style. If you don't want to pay any charge for that,so its depends on you, but really you have nice thought. thank you for share your thought with forum members.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS