challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 5:04 PM

Thanks Jen, and you are right about ALS being a cruel and vicious disease.  They only live about an hour away from us but we don't see them very often.  When we do, the change is so dramatic to us but both Natalie and Royce feel like the progression of the disease is "slower than the norm".  I can't help but wonder if that is really right or if they are just trying to fool themselves (which, of course, I understand that, too).  It's just heart breaking.  Every one of us could go an entire lifetime without ever being acquainted with anyone with ALS- but, yet, our hearts break for Royce but we have another friend in New Orleans who has been diagnosed with ALS.  She remains up-beat, too, and I guess that's the only way to endure it.

Thanks for your comments on the painting.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 6:55 PM

Fred- Another hilarious one. The martians seem to be having fun at their new- found place. I wonder whether they know how to use the outhouse hanging precariously off the cliff.  It's quite something to envision what will happen.

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 7:13 PM

Holly- So...glad to see your face here and to know that you are feeling good enough to create a wonderful piece of art for your nephew. This is a very good piece of art, the rocks are  awesome they can't get any better. Love the treatment of the background, it's colorful yet understated. Also like that you paint off the big tree branch that lean across the photo. You certainly know what to keep and what to add. You simplify the background by getting rids of several small trees and adding three big trees with nice colors. You suspended your nephew in the air to add more action and excitement to the painting. the water has good movement too. Great job YesYesYes

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 14,900
holland2 wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 7:27 PM

Thanks, Sandi!  I really doubted that I could pull  this one off since I started it last spring but was unable to get back to it.  (And this was the 2nd start!)  Thank goodness it fell together at the last second - I did have to keep tweeking those foreground rocks a lot.  I had a hard time keeping my light source in mind, too. Overall, I am pleased with the outcome - - but most of all Royce is pleased with it.

Holly

C & C always welcomed and encouraged.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 8:50 PM

I drew the bells on the left Friday at work and then drew the rest and painted it all this evening. I'm trying to learn about light and shadows. This is #1 of the 3 I'm posting tonight.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 8:51 PM

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 8:53 PM

And a close up of the ornament's face . These are all pencil with watercolor wash.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 9 Dec 2012 8:58 PM

Really not all that much closer than the second one but I can't take it out so just kind of ignore the last one.

*Fred..I really like the way that old house is leaning. lol the colors are very nice in the house boards.

*Holly..Royce Can Fly is a very nice painting. Aside from the fact that it has special meaning, I love the rock colors and how you've his movement of leaping.

*Tim.. The landscape with the fence and tree is very nice. I like the colors in the tree and how you've put the shadows in the field in. I also like the Kofi Annan portrait you did and how the light is on the front of his face.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,275
wetpaperfan wrote
on 10 Dec 2012 10:43 PM

WOW lots of activity... I had to do 4 shows over two days and I'm pooped... 

Holly: so very nice to see you back and your oil  of Royce is so very nice its like he is levitating over the water what an amazing Jump... I'm sure the family will enjoy this painting for years to come.  and so nice what you said about honoring him now... I think that is a great thought.  I did that for fathers day with my band leader that was dying of lung cancer and his family was so appreciative that everyone got to visit and honor him and say there personal feelings.   It's a terrible disease ALS.  my heart goes out to you and his family...

Catherine:   I love the bells.  and the joker.  great job

I wanted to get to Blicks today but couldn't even drag my self anywhere....  maybe tomorrow.  

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Points 23,120
C. Brown wrote
on 11 Dec 2012 5:20 AM

Jen, Sandi and Sam your cards all came yesterday! They all look great!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 510
Altoproxima wrote
on 11 Dec 2012 6:56 AM

Marcha, 

seems like you are next to painting also in the music business. I've been watching a few videos about Pascale on youtube, she reminds me of Dani klein (vaya con dios) It is definatly something I can enjoy. If you enjoy choirs, you should look up scala, pretty popular in the low-lands. So far I have never done any choirs or jazz ensembles I envy you. :)

Tim

C&C always welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,715
on 11 Dec 2012 7:53 AM

Catherine,the bells and joker are colorful.  You are investing a lot of time trying new things.  It is paying off.

I got your card yesterday.  It's very nice.  Thank you.  

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 11 Dec 2012 5:39 PM

Tim, again, congratulations on your pastel/gouache landscape. I do have one question (please bear in mind that I’m not a landscape artist). Do you think it would be appropriate to have more of a difference in values in this painting? One of the reasons I’m mentioning this is that the contrasting values are so powerful in the Kofi Annan portrait.

Holly, the painting of your nephew leaping over the creek is beautiful. But that’s not all. It’s the perfect evocation of life and joy and movement that will allow people who love him to remember this about him. Knowing the story behind this painting takes a wonderful painting to a whole new place—it is very, very moving.

Catherine, I love the light and shadow you’re working with on your bells, and agree with Sam that you are tackling all kinds of new things, all to your advancage.

Marsha, first, I’m sorry that you haven’t felt well. As far as your music groups go, at least you are NOT BORED!

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,047
Points 46,350
on 11 Dec 2012 6:32 PM

Catherine, going back to your bells and Harlequin, I really like the bells executed in red only. I'm on a mission not to be so dependent on outlines and you've perfectly shown how an un-outlined object is still distinguished from the background.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 438
Points 3,930
jatravis wrote
on 11 Dec 2012 6:40 PM

Wow! It seems as though the forum has picked up so many new & wonderfully talented artists!!

I've missed you all & just wanted to let you know that I plan on coming back as soon as my daughter's medical problems are taken care of - - -

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas & wonderful New Year!!!!

Judy

Judy   C&C appreciated

Page 103 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  101 102 103 104 105  Next >  ... Last » | RSS