challenge CHATTER - 2012

This post has 1,676 Replies | 20 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 2 Dec 2012 3:17 PM

This is a heads up to those of you who are sending Christmas cards.  Joyce lives in Canada and mail takes longer to get there.  I'm putting that one in the mail tomorrow.  The rate for 1st class mail to Canada if $0.85 for one ounce.

Sam/Sammy     C & C Welcome

Visit my blog at www.artbysamh.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 6:23 PM

Fred - great Eye Doc painting of a star pupil.

Thanks Sam and Jen!

Good jump start on the kalimbas (thumb pianos) today:

Ingredients: small rake from Chinatown for tone tines, electrician's grounding bar kit to hold and individually tune the tines, dried  Martin (kettle) gourd

Gourd jigsaw-bisected; seeds saved for future kalimba babies

Interior sealed with thick acrylic matte gel medium, also adds resonance

Interior sprinkled with raw terre ercolano earth orange and Aubergine violet pigments to add soul

Faces traced on mahogany, which will be the real "canvases"

- Bob

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 2 Dec 2012 7:10 PM

Bob, the construction process of the kalimba is intriguing.  I'm staying tuned to watch it develop with the help of some mighty creative hands and mind.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 7:27 PM

I love it fred! That was very clever making the eye so big!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

(No digital alterations please)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 9:08 PM

Bob- Congratulation for the finish of your  gourd instrument. I am waiting to hear you play it too.

Your butterfly is flamingly beautiful, brilliant and intense with fire color. Who would have thought about this technique but you.

We are lucky to witness how you create your arts.

And now you are on to making the Kalimba. interesting!

Right Hug Sandi

C&C are welcome and appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 9:15 PM

Catherine- Your watercolor box and bird painting is interesting. How do you get the idea to pair the two together? Can't wait to see it finished.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,003
Points 15,260
sandichot wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 9:24 PM

Fred- This painting should be named " The Eyes Have It". I believe it will be a good match with the other one hanging on Doc's wall,. Doc should give you a discount rate for his service too.

Right Hug Sandi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,455
Points 29,260
wetpaperfan wrote
on 2 Dec 2012 10:44 PM

Bob:   Great pictures showing your progress.   I have a musician that plays in the Cirque Show "O" here.  He is from Africa and plays a HUGE  Kalimba.   He plays with one of the jazz groups.   It is an amazing instrument.   cant wait to see you finish as well as play. 

I do hope you will play your last Gourdophonium instrument on YouTube and then tell us about it.

your butterfly is amazing.   I loved it.   what was that method  I didn't quite understand it.  none the less it is beautiful. what is pyrography,   and what do you mean creme brulee torching.    what type of paints do you use that can be fired upon.The color is brilliant.

Your Polar Bear Bolo tie holder is beautiful.   I would like to try sculpture one of these days.

Fred:  "Here's lookin' at ya"   your doctor will love it,  his eyes will pop when he sees it...

Christine:   I am curious about the Crow, the leaves and the box... the theme is interesting,   the work looks good at this point.

Geri:  Your feather is amazing.   you are really good at it.

Sam I hope the Gel worked a bit for you.   I have a sore throat and cannot talk at all.   I think my husband may be happy about it.... tee hee.

MARSHA

Pastel Teachers' hands are usually chalk-full. (by Marsha Ross)

C & C Always Welcome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 3 Dec 2012 7:00 AM

Marsha, I'm sorry that you're sick.  Sad  Get better real quick.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 3 Dec 2012 8:17 AM

I just come up with ideas. I like the old beat up black bird so I brought him in from the garden and the watercolor box is an antique watercolor box I bought myself. The box is very small and has a lift out drawer. It is around 100 years old.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 238
Points 4,985
Bob in SF wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 8:43 AM

Sincere thanks Sam, Sandi, and Marsha!

Marsha - you asked about  pyrography - it's simply wood burning - you can use a very inexpensive woodburning pen or a more expensive one like the Razertip - best to sand the drawing surface out to 1000 grit so the tip wont catch in the grain.  Low temperatures work well on hot pressed illustration board.  You also asked about watercolors - I make my own, but any commercial colors will change to a variable degree when you burn through them - exciting possibilities (like jazz).  I often use a creme brulee torch to modify larger areas of color - BE CAREFUL! - here's a pic of a typical inexpensive torch:

Here's a pure pyrography on birch wood piece that others on this forum may remember:

I'll be offline for a while - studying to certify in quantitative electroencephalography, neurofeedback, and neurotherapy - brainwaves/brainwave training to help others with a range of needs - state of the art best summarized by Stephen Larsen in his recent Neurofeedback Solution.  It's an exciting time in the co-evolution of cognitive neuroscience and dynamic brain imaging - fits well into my humble quest to better connect creativity and health. 

I'll be back a little later - warmest regards to all.

- Bob

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 46,670
on 4 Dec 2012 9:33 AM

Bob, fantastic little wren especially since it was burned onto the wood.  You continue to impress.  Good luck with your studies.  It sound like a fascinating course.

Marsha, I posted some information regarding oil pastels and how to find my WIP (Work In Process) Step-By-Step demo of an oil pastel rose.  Artist Daily suppressed it since there were some links enclosed.  I've since sent it private Conversation.  If anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll send it to you via Conversations.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 4 Dec 2012 1:54 PM

Bob what a sweet little wren!

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,420
Points 23,115
C. Brown wrote
on 5 Dec 2012 11:35 AM

I'm kinda tired of Christmas theme paintings so I painted this today. watercolor and pencil. 140 lb. coldpress. aprox 8x10 inch.

Catherine Brown

C&C's are welcome.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,034
Points 46,120
on 5 Dec 2012 8:13 PM

Catherine, I love this painting -- the plant itself plus the understated palette you used. It reminds me of Japanese art and is worth matting and framing.

Alex

Comments and critiques are welcomed and appreciated.

Page 99 of 112 (1677 items) « First ...  < Previous  97 98 99 100 101  Next >  ... Last » | RSS